Required 30 min or 1 hour mp4 files, 24+ hours capacity

Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a need for a dash cam that will record mp4 files in 30 (preferably) or 60 minute increments. (1, 2, 3, 5, 10, & 15 minute files are too small for my purposes and I do not want to have to merge small files into one larger file.) The files need to be in mp4 format and readable on a Windows PC without any kind of manipulation or conversion. I need for the unit to be able to record at least 24 hours of video at a minimum of 1080p and 30 fps. A two camera unit would be great, but is not required. I'm flexible on pretty much everything else.

I used the compare tool to narrow down the list to cam's that record in mp4. I was able to eliminate a few more from the list where there was a link to a manual that told me the file increments were less than 30 minutes in length. Following is the list of remaining cameras where I do not know the file increment sizes.

Can anyone tell me if any of these record in 30 or 60 minute increments and can record for 24 hours at 1080p and 30 fps? Or can you point me to units that can?

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Short List:
Dome D201
Xiaomi Yi Dash Cam
MateGo MG380G
Koonlung K1S
SJ5000 Plus
CDV300X
Panorama X2
BlackVue DR750LW-2CH
R280
Panorama II / S / G

Dome 201 does not do 30 or 60 min unless you disable the looping. Doesn't sound like that's what you want to do though. The Yi only does 3 min I believe.

Can't help you with specifics but to get 24 hours of video at 1080p/30fps you'll need a camera that supports at least a 200GB memory card. That should help you develop your short list.

I don't mind disabling looping, if what is meant is that older files are erased when storage capacity is reached. As long as I can get a minimum of 24 hours then I don't need looping. Getting
30 or 60 minute increments of video capture is the top priority. I suppose I could go down to 20 minutes if there was no other option, but 30 minutes is optimal.

Can't help you with specifics but to get 24 hours of video at 1080p/30fps you'll need a camera that supports at least a 200GB memory card. That should help you develop your short list.
Whoa! Then I need to back off on my resolution requirements. Perhaps I need to ask what resolution will get me 24 hours of video on 64 or 128 GB. I can then test to see if that resolution is adequate. Thank you for bringing my miscalculation to my attention.

Perhaps I need to ask what resolution will get me 24 hours of video on 64 or 128 GB.
Welcome to DCT. A camera operating at 12Mbps can go 24 hours on a 128GB card. I'm not aware, however, of any camera that will record in 30 or 60 minute file lengths.

You may have to concede to merging shorter clips together using RegistratorViewer ... a quick & easy process.

Last edited:
You may have to concede to merging shorter clips together using RegistratorViewer ... a quick & easy process.
Thank you.

I've not used this tool. Others I've tried take too long to merge files. But if it takes 5 minutes to merge six 5-minute clips then it's going to take me 4 hours just to prepare 24 hours of video for review. That's too long. I ran into the same issue with cam's that would record in 30 minute chunks, but in AVI. The conversion to mp4 took too long.

Registrator viewer automatic bundle up your recordings according to driving session determined by the time/date stamp on the individual files.
And it can allso remove any overlap there might be as its common with many dashcams, usioally its 1000 ms, this is allso done automatic once entered in "RV"
So you just have to click on the session you want to save and then save it.
And best of all "RV" will not change your file format, it just process the original format and output the same minus what you have removed or dont want ( such as GPS information or audio )

There is some youtube videos explaining registrator viewer.

Why are MP4 files required? More flexibility in format may open additional options.

The dvloper of registrator viewer was sadly killed in a MC accident last year, so his good work is " hard" to find.

But good folkes like Jon at pier28 have a copy you can grab
https://shop.pier28.com/support

Why are MP4 files required? More flexibility in format may open additional options.
My work requires I review the video in a tool that only supports WEBM and MP4. If I use a camera that captures in AVI then I have to convert the files to MP4 before I can use them. The fastest tools I've found to make the conversion are DivX Converter and VLC. Both require a restrictive amount of time to make the conversion. I've seen cameras that will record in 30 minute blocks in AVI, but the conversion process just takes too long.

My work requires I review the video in a tool that only supports WEBM and MP4....
OK, that's reasonable.

Not knowing what type of work you do would it be an option to review in another format and only convert 'selected' video segments to MP4 for use in the official tool? Just kind of thinking out loud here.

Thank you.

I've not used this tool. Others I've tried take too long to merge files. But if it takes 5 minutes to merge six 5-minute clips then it's going to take me 4 hours just to prepare 24 hours of video for review. That's too long. I ran into the same issue with cam's that would record in 30 minute chunks, but in AVI. The conversion to mp4 took too long.

Registrator Viewer exports the file stitched together without re-encoding the file, merging six 5 minute clips might take 20 or 30 seconds if you have a slow computer

How about a curveball suggestion, if you're needing monitoring for a parked vehicle.....

A cam like the Mobius can do 15-minute clips and can also have its frame rate set quite low which ought to reduce memory card usage.
So consider a Mobius running 15-min clips and 5fps or 10fps as a basic continuous monitor. It won't be much use for high-speed though.

Then run a second cam at 1080p 30fps with a good 'parking mode' which will wake up and record only when things are happening nearby. Again not much use when on the move.

Some good thoughts here. Thanks.

I'm actually recording / monitoring road activity and sometimes the vehicles will be passing by at highway speeds. I can't set the frame rate too low. Resolution is more flexible than frame rate. I'll record several days of video, copying the files to a PC as needed, then I'll review every minute (at an accelerated speed). If Registrator Viewer merges the files so quickly then this may be part of the solution. I've downloaded the software and need to give it a whirl. If it works as anticipated the my next hurdle is maximizing the recording time to a single memory card, with the MP4 and clip size issues considered solved.

Note, I have tried using regular DVR's, but all require file exports and conversions that require too much time. I've tried using inexpensive tablets running video recording software like ContaCam, but they are unreliable in the heat. Dash Cams and/or Action Cams seem like something that would work. They would be inexpensive, unobtrusive, and heat tolerant.

...If Registrator Viewer merges the files so quickly then this may be part of the solution.....
It does, and provides for accelerated viewing, up to 60x/64x, which I find to be quite dizzying when viewing video taken from inside a vehicle. :eek:

720p only needs half the space of 1080p so a cam capable of running with a 128GB card would be able to hold a whole day of 720p recordings.
Some cams can be set to write as one continuous file until they reach a size of around 4GB which would be around one hour at 720p/30fps.
In many cases 720p is just cropped out from the 1080p images so there's the same level of detail but a narrower field of view.
For heat tolerance a capacitor cam would be preferable.

Very good.

So all that said, what would be a recommended camera? It will be running 24 hours, so both daytime and nighttime use is needed, although there's no need at all for IR illumination. I'd appreciate any suggestions based on experience. Otherwise I'm just reading reviews and manuals, then taking a shot in the dark.

Very good.

So all that said, what would be a recommended camera? It will be running 24 hours, so both daytime and nighttime use is needed, although there's no need at all for IR illumination. I'd appreciate any suggestions based on experience. Otherwise I'm just reading reviews and manuals, then taking a shot in the dark.

how well lit is the area?

how well lit is the area?
Thank you. Good questions.

It will vary from well lit to not much more than what's provided by headlights. Something that can adjust back to low light settings fairly fast after being flashed by passing headlights would be best.

Back