Resolution testing Vs baseline SG9665GC ( pic heavy )

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
In this post i will be exploring the differences between the different resolutions of the x camera, and for the base line i will use my trusty SG9665GC as i think thats a good baseline in performance.

Please note the x camera is still a newbie with room for improvement, the SG allso still get tweaked on but its higher up the ladder in maturity.

First off i have the following settings:
SG9665GC standart settings WDR on 1080/30 and thats about it
#1 xcamera 1080/60FPS - 60deg FOV
#2 xcamera 2304 x 1296/30FPS - 155 deg FOV

The pics i have grapped out of the footage is the best ones in regard to read the plates on the oncomming cars, and in this regard the x cam have a downside we are working on, thats why the X pics are not grabbed when the cars are closest, its either what i have grabbed or somthing even worse.
And dont for one second think i could just grab any frame off the footage from the SG9665GC, thats not the case at all, but it did give me a larger margin to work within.

This is testing in nasty conditions, dirty scratched windscreen, and driving allmost strait into a low sun
You will not be capturing every passing plate in this conditions and at speeds of 80-90 km/h for camera car and oncomming cars.
sgpic1.jpg

x1pic1.jpg

x2pic1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sgpic2.jpg

x1pic2.jpg

x2pic2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sgpic3.jpg

x1pic3.jpg

x2pic3.jpg

sgpic4.jpg

x1pic4.jpg

x2pic4.jpg

sgpic5.jpg

x1pic5.jpg

x2pic5.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sgpic6.jpg

x1pic6.jpg

x2pic6.jpg

Last edited:
sgpic7.jpg

x1pic7.jpg

x2pic7.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sgpic8.jpg

x1pic8.jpg

x2pic8.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sgpic9.jpg

x1pic9.jpg

x2pic9.jpg

sgpic10.jpg

x1pic10.jpg

x2pic10.jpg

sgpic11.jpg

x1pic11.jpg

x2pic11.jpg

sgpic12.jpg

x1pic12.jpg

x2pic12.jpg

Last edited:
sgpic13.jpg

x1pic13.jpg

x2pic13.jpg

sgpic14.jpg

x1pic14.jpg

x2pic14.jpg

sgpic15.jpg

x1pic15.jpg

x2pic15.jpg

sgpic16.jpg

x1pic16.jpg

x2pic16.jpg

sgpic17.jpg

x1pic17.jpg

x2pic17.jpg

sgpic18.jpg

x1pic18.jpg

x2pic18.jpg

Last edited:
O and just to freak you the hell out, here is the same 18 cars as captured by my side mounted mobius.
mobpic1_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic2_big_thumb.jpg
mobpic3_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic4_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic5_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic6_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic7_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic8_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic9_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic10_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic11_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic12_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic13_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic14_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic15_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic16_big_thumb.jpg

mpbpic17_big_thumb.jpg

mobpic18_big_thumb.jpg

NO DOUBT having a side mounted camera is a good idea, and since the mobie performed so good i will not bother with the rear mounted x camera :)

it's interesting that it's even possible to catch a plate in such harsh conditions really, thanks for taking the time to put this together

Yeah it was pretty nasty, the SG dont offer much long distance viewabillety with this beta firmware, but when the cars get close it sure offer the best chance for capturing a plate.

I assume the mobius performed so good cuz it dident have the direct sun to fight with too, i was a little :eek: it performed as good as it did.

I am about to set out on compiling the #2 comparison going the other way, have choosen the same strech of road to evaluate the other resolutions.

Yeah it was pretty nasty, the SG dont offer much long distance viewabillety with this beta firmware, but when the cars get close it sure offer the best chance for capturing a plate.

every camera will have a sweet spot where it will get the most detail, how near or far that is would be less relevant I think, as long as you get the detail is the main thing

So here we go with the #2 set of data, and as i expected it had become a little less darker, but the sun was still a good fist over the horizon.
But this is enuff to kill off plate capture all together, actually as i have been zooming in on the pics in registrator viewer the footage off the X cam with the 2560 x 1080 settings seemed the best of the 3, but this is marginal and of no importance as none of the cameras managed to capture a licence plate.

First off i have the following settings:
SG9665GC standart settings WDR on 1080/30 and thats about it
#1 xcamera 1080/30FPS - 155deg FOV - HDR
#2 xcamera 2560 x 1080/30FPS - 155 deg FOV

sg1.jpg

x1.jpg

xb1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sg2.jpg

x2.jpg

xb2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sg3.jpg

x3.jpg

xb3.jpg

sg4.jpg

x4.jpg

xb4.jpg

sg5.jpg

x5.jpg

xb5.jpg

Last edited:
sg6.jpg

x6.jpg

xb6.jpg

sg7.jpg

x7.jpg

xb7.jpg

sg8.jpg

x8.jpg

xb8.jpg

sg9.jpg

x9.jpg

xb9.jpg

sg10.jpg

x10.jpg

xb10.jpg

So there you go, as soon as the light level drop a little ( i hope we can agree its not dark for huamn eyes this time of day ) then the motion blur monster rear its ugly head and ruin our footage.
Also underline why i allways request better low light performance in dashcams.

it's interesting that it's even possible to catch a plate in such harsh conditions really, thanks for taking the time to put this together
Off topic and on topic, i got curious how finnish police use plate recognition, turns out that they use basic digital video camera and separate program/computer find plates from video feed.
I try to find out what brand is that police camera but i did not find any info.
But it seems that it's a hard job to do for a small standalone dashcam to read plates, especially if it should be wide angle camera at the same time.

Attachments

• policecamera.jpg
    policecamera.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • recognitionpc.jpg
    recognitionpc.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 13
There is awide range of so called licenceplate cameras, both low res analog ones and the more expensive HD ones.

then offcourse you need some software to grab the number once you can see it, i even think there is some freeware out there for ANPR

Good comparison!
But I'm still trying to figure out the best setting on the X cam.
What would be the best ? I'm assuming bigger is better.
resolutions.png

For fuks sake KamKar............... When are your going to get a dashmat to cut down on glare o_O

@Hombré
I am unable to find one that fit my 2012 Suzuki splash, all other kids of small Suzukis yes,,,, but not my model :( ( maybe my Suzuki have another name in those markets )

Trust me if i awas able to find one in AU i was on the next plane to go get it, but i searched high and low in US and AU which i think is the 2 largest markets for dashmats.

I would prefer a dashmat over a CPL filter, not least since i do some testing in my windscreen and dont have CPL for those new up and comming cameras.

BTW i am off soon to capture more footage, this time 1080/45 and 30 is up, conditions should be better today as its a little erlier than my last drive and sun is out too.

O and my new usb 3.0 card reader have arrived, really nice to get full speed off those U3 cards :cool:

Well that was no challenge, so i wont even go into datails, the X cam did miss a plate here and there due to it troving a little bigger than normal blocking fit in really hard conditions ( trees lining road with sun filtering thru and a lot of shade, even the SG9665GC struggled there but not as bad as the x cam )
And allso lost a couple of plate missed due to its output problem.

JooVoo X 1080P 60 seems plenty/pretty good when we fly in the Cherokee and the smaller files are easier to edit.

Yeah i stick with what i have allways used 1080/60 and 2304x1296/30, but in general just 1080/60.

I have offcourse not tried the 720p resolutions as i think that would just be stupid, but in the 1080 and up resolutions i dont really see anyone is better than the others.
60 FPS just add more frames in the daytime where within there should be a larger chance to capture that special frame should you ever need it.

Maybe if you are on one of those fancy smancy flat computer monitors, but i am still on a 22" CRT monitor here.

But thogh it is on the rise here i cant get myself to think about a hit and run, by main consern is to be able to proof i dident do anything wrong.
And the way i am set up for insurance i can total my car 2 times every year and not have to pay more, thats the joy of never having made a dent ( that the insurance have to hear about )
And other ppl only made dents in my cars 2 times, once when i was 18 and last year 30 years later.

And then capture dumbasses i can expose on youtube though its highly illigal for me to do so. And with the dumbasses i cant really be bothered if the licenceplate can be seen or not, its just ther general stupid i am after.

Back