[RESOLVED] Help: A129 Duo will NOT reflash with firmware

dashdashcam

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello all & @VIOFO-Support @viofo
Need some ideas regarding the ongoing problem with my A129 Duo dashcam. I am trying to reflash the firmware to deal with parking mode problems. But the camera simply refuses to read the firmware bin file in the SD card. The camera came with firmware A129:V2.2 BUILD:20210908.

I tried V2.3_20200328 from https://viofo.com/content/40-viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-support/. I also tried V2.2_20201217 from https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000087812-viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-firmware.
I don't even understand what is the difference between FWA129N.bin & FWA129.bin. Clues anyone??

I have tried all methods, using PC, using Dashcam or using a SD card reader to load the file. I followed all steps, including the reset to factory conditions step everyone talks about.
My biggest issue is after i load the firmware in the card root & I connect the dashcam to a power adapter, there is no blinking process. The camera simply goes to normal recording mode. The bin file in the sd card gets never deleted. Tried with different SD cards too.

I am stuck here, i have raised the ticket with viofo, but they are asking the usual questions like did you wait enough before ejecting, did u download the right file etc.

Can someone suggest a way around? Can someone share me a good firmware file for the A129 Duo please?

Once you have the correct .bin file ....

Format a SDCard to FAT32

.bin to card

Card into dashcam and powerup using either a mobile phone charger, powerbank or the car.

Not a PC because the dashcam goes into a different mode.

Hello @Kremmen As i said before, I indeed formatted the card in FAT32, copied the bin file in to the root of the card. and I plugged the dashcam using the short cable to a power adapter (not PC). But still the same issue :dead:

Can you post a screenshot of the .bin file in the root directory of the card?

You can place both .bin files (for the A129and A129N versions) and the camera will only use the correct one.

I missed your answer

When that happens you often need to obtain the dashcam 'loader' file.

Whether there is one available for your dashcam I don't know.

Can you post a screenshot of the .bin file in the root directory of the card?

You can place both .bin files (for the A129and A129N versions) and the camera will only use the correct one.
Hello @CaptureYourAction , Please see the screengrab of file in the SD card. I did not keep 2 files at the same time because the expected name of the file is 'FWA129.bin'. 2 files with same file cannot be there in the same folder..

Screenshot 2022-07-14 113159.png

Hello again @Kremmen , do you think i can find that loader file somewhere? Whatever Viofo has loaded in my cam is def problematic.
20220713_222110small.jpg
In fact, i want to load the V1.9 as many users says it as very stable one. Even if someone shares it, i dont know how will i be able to flash it. sigh

Hello @CaptureYourAction , Please see the screengrab of file in the SD card. I did not keep 2 files at the same time because the expected name of the file is 'FWA129.bin'. 2 files with same file cannot be there in the same folder..

View attachment 61047

Hello again @Kremmen , do you think i can find that loader file somewhere? Whatever Viofo has loaded in my cam is def problematic.
View attachment 61048
In fact, i want to load the V1.9 as many users says it as very stable one. Even if someone shares it, i dont know how will i be able to flash it. sigh
But the other .bin should be named FWA129N.bin. Maybe your camera requires that version. The N is for newer cameras that came with the updated GPS chip.

But the other .bin should be named FWA129N.bin. Maybe your camera requires that version. The N is for newer cameras that came with the updated GPS chip.
Trying it right away. i ve been battling with cam since morning at my desk. i will be back.

Hello @CaptureYourAction ... i copied both the bin files, keeping the file FWA129N alongside FWA129.bin.
Wow finally it started flashing and finally restarted. the FWA129N file disappeared. FWA129.bin is still sitting there.
Thank you, i am kinda relieved.

So this FWA129N build is dated 20210908.
I found a supposedly updated version build V2.2_20201217. Can i try loading this firmware by adding myself a 'N' in filename, or there is a risk of bricking it??

Last edited:
I wouldn't

Stick with the stock N file as that may brick the dashcam

Hello @CaptureYourAction ... i copied both the bin files, keeping the file FWA129N alongside FWA129.bin.
Wow finally it started flashing and finally restarted. the FWA129N file disappeared. FWA129.bin is still sitting there.
Thank you, i am kinda relieved.

So this FWA129N build is dated 20210908.
I found a supposedly updated version build V2.2_20201217. Can i try loading this firmware by adding myself a 'N' in filename, or there is a risk of bricking it??
No, do not add the N to the regular (FWA129.bin) file.

No, do not add the N to the regular (FWA129.bin) file.
@CaptureYourAction Understood. no more fiddling.
@CaptureYourAction ,@Kremmen .Thanks for ur support guys, i appreciate it. :)
Thank U Reaction GIF by Mauro Gatti

closing the tread.

Back