Reverse Backup Camera Automatic Cover Exist? Muddy Areas

cam_guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My backup camera gets dirty often. It's really annoying. Especially when its raining as my driveway and laneway are dirt roads. I often find myself wiping it everyday.

Is there such thing as an add-on for backup reverse cameras that automatically un-cover the camera when going in reverse? Then cover the camera back when in drive mode?

Ive looked on aliexpress but can't find anything. It would easy to install as ive installed my rear backup camera because my car doesn't have one.

Im guessing it doesn't exist. I think it would be popular if someone made it.

Or is there some sort of spray i can buy and wipe the camera with so nothing sticks to it

za****a cam 3 260x180 clear good GMA-2 FINAL.gif

Never seen anything like that in the aftermarket space, it would probably be cheaper to just put a sprinkler back there aimed at the camera.

i was thinking i could make my own cover, i mean the amount of electrical force for a small cover to open and close wouldn't be that much, I could splice it into the reverse light electrical thingy

I saw someone on youtube hack into their rear window washer fluid with a splitter runs down to the camera

I was thinking of doing that, not sure if i could acomplised it,

I was thinking i could make it simple so when it sprays the back window it also sprays the back camera,

this way i wouldn't need to install additional pumps or buttons,

just add a splitter, hose and reverse valve,

i wonder if it would work or the current rear pump wouldnt have enough force?

spiltter.png

Last edited:
I assume ( as so many times before ) if the washer pump can feed 2 outlets in the front, it should also be able to feed 2 outlets in the back.
Your use of fluid might go up some, but at least it is cheap.

Then again many cars do not have a wiper / washer in the rear, but if yours have, it should be fairly easy to whip something together with a little DIY force.

The 90 degree splitter used here, you could probably change to a Y shaped one and so a equal amount of liquid / pressure should go each way, or at least you would only have pressure build up at the very nozzle

Then again my not engineering education, do kick up something about pressure build up with length of pipe / hose, but i think a guy will be good in this way.

Still glad i only got to do the engineers work and not taking their education,,,,,,, wayyyyy too much theoretic and math for me to deal with as a guy that consider his 9.5 years of school as his life longest nightmare.

I used to do neat stuff with the track-change solenoids from junk 8-track tape players as they were all 12VDC and I can see a way to make something work here. Kind of hard to find those anymore so an electric trunk releases or door lock solenoid would probably provide a better base to work from but it's all DIY so you'd have to design it and source parts based on what you can do and what you can get.

Easier to just go to a u-pull-it junkyard and grab a washer fluid reservoir with the pump in the bottom and make a stand-alone lens sprayer. A momentary push-button switch, a little wiring (properly fused of course), some rubber tubing and a sprayer nozzle which fits your mounting concept from the same junkyard and you're set. Seems this would be easier than trying to make an automatic lens cover, but with a good junkbox and an open mind about repurposing stuff could build one of those.

Professional cameras use a roll of plastic film across a lens-frame which winds up similar to how 35mm films cans work. I'm sure that can be bought somewhewre but I'm not sure the cost.

Phil

I still have my motocross goggles with wind up plastic film across them, worked nice on those muddy days on the track ( which most are in Denmark )

Back