Reverse engineering the hardwire kit

wordup

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d like to hardwire my F800 Pro into the circuit that powers the rear view mirror (with garage door opener) in my 2011 Prius. There is constant and switched 12v at that location.

How does the hard wire kit work? I’m guessing it has two separate 12v to 5v stepdown channels, (one for constant, one for switched).

Does anyone know if the supplied cigarette adapter has three wire leads going into the barrel connector so that I could splice into that? If not, does anyone know of the dimensions or a part number of a compatible three wire barrel adapter I could order from an electronics supplier? Thanks!

I took apart the cigarette end of the adapter and it appears to only have two wires in the sleeve. Bummer. Still looking for info on the barrel connector if anyone knows the size.

Attachments

• F20CC92F-A7BF-4F6D-A63C-4FB905045FE2.jpeg
    F20CC92F-A7BF-4F6D-A63C-4FB905045FE2.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 30
camera is 12v, just cut the plug off to wire it

Yes, but in order to get parking mode, it needs constant power and ACC power. The cigarette adapter has a three pole plug, but only two wires in the cord. Will have to buy the $30 harwire kit cord to get the proprietary barrel connector. Boo!

Just buy the hardware kit. There isn't much ways to go around it without requiring additional effort.

Great that you included the photo.

I think there may be a cheap workaround, as I share your disdain of companies selling high dollar proprietary accessories.

FIrst, after looking at photos, I do believe the plugs for the cigarette lighter will work if wired correctly for parking mode.

Disclaimer, I have not done this yet.

I am assuming the yellow wire is the hot wire and is internal in the plug.

The white wire is assumed to be negative and is split with the green wire so that
both sections of the outer barrel of the plug is powered and negative?

( easy to check with VOM )

you can test this by simply detaching the white and green wires and alternately supplying negative

once youve determined which one puts it in parking mode, find a fuse thats always on and one that is switched off with ignition off

once you've determined which portion of the barrel needs to be powered with what
wire it up permanently and youve saved almost $30?

Include inline fuses.

I'm guessing thats what the little canister like things in the Thnkware wiring kit are?

Anyone see any reason this shouldnt work?

It's late and I may not be expressing it correctly.

I took apart the cigarette end of the adapter and it appears to only have two wires in the sleeve. Bummer. Still looking for info on the barrel connector if anyone knows the size.

You're right, I shouldnt be online at 1am! <g>

I was thinking the photo showed the plug that went into the F800
not the cigarette 12v outlet

there are only two wires in the cord.

which is weird because the plug lhat goes into the F800 looks the
same on the cigarette plug model as the hardwire one

... they're both segmented.

have to get a VOM out, but is the outer tip hot and the segment further back negative?

So, disregard anything I said at 1:30 am

however the plug that goes into
camera needs 3 wires for parking mode, cig plug is 2 wire

Last edited:
I've done extreme measures to bypass dell's proprietary connections on their laptop. I've also razored "special" barrel connectors in half. While the wire only has two connectors does the barrel have all the necessary connectors? If yes, cut off all the rubber, Look to see which are connected and determine which is ground and power. The connector with nothing is that third accessory connector. I solder on a ACC wire and use a two part putty epoxy to form a new casing.

Back