Reverse (front) camera options

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this section ONLY for dashcams? What about the reverse/front parking cameras SG sells? That’s what I need to ask for some help with.

I recently got a Kenwood Excelon DNX997XR to replace the factory stereo on my 2011 F250. It has multiple camera inputs, and the factory backup camera is still retained in the rear view mirror, which is awesome. I got a backup cam that specifically mounts where the high mount center brake light is (3rd eye) so I can see the contents of the bed as well as helping when trying g to hook up a gooseneck trailer.

But I also want to add a front cam because it can really help when precision is required for parking. The one I wanted to get is no longer available, so I looked at Street Guardian. They have quite a few.

The one I think I want is the SG89F. I have a full replacement Ranch Hand bumper with a sort of expanded metal guarding the radiators, and I thought I’d poke it through one of the holes above the front hitch receiver, screw it down with the nut, and run the wire over the top of bumper (like the driving lights) into the cab to the new stereo. Will this work? Is it actually IP68 on the back as well? Or is this a bad idea? Any other recommendations?

Here are a few pics of the front, including the bumper, which will hopefully show what I’m taking about.

B8A01670-549B-45E5-BFCD-FC9D7A53E625.jpeg

879C2ADA-E682-4504-9B69-30FBF2381A4B.jpeg

3C9804D2-6B7C-43FC-9176-C1DADD47B116.jpeg

I passed by a place that sell US cars, had a Dodge RAM on the lot and its front was just a explosion of chrome.

Dodge RAM.jpg

I however only pray to the old Chrome gods.

I passed by a place that sell US cars, had a Dodge RAM on the lot and its front was just a explosion of chrome.

I however only pray to the old Chrome gods.
Yeah, before the bumper replacement mine looked sort of like this random pic I found on the internet of a wrecked one:

1595868915112.png

Hehe yeah Americans still have a love affair with the chrome gods, you dont find much of that on modern euro / Jap cars.

All our reverse camera can also be used a front camera. All you have to do is cut the "white" wire to correct the image and cut "blue" wire to get rid of the guidelines if you want.

We would recommend SG89VB. Please see attached the camera on this 'pick up' truck. All they did here was put the bolt through the hole and tighten the nut at the back.

20200728_090315[1].jpg20200728_090321[1].jpg20200728_090327[1].jpg

We would recommend SG89VB.
Thanks! Especially for the pictures. However, I can’t seem to find that on your website, even using a search. Google turns up nothing, either. Is this a new model you’re coming out with? If you’ve got one on hand I’m happy to try it out! I don’t even need a particularly wide field of view for a front-facing parking cam.

The one I was looking at shows as the SG89F, from this page, which looks similar in style. Is this close? I don’t need grid lines or anything like that, I don’t think.

it's a new model we recently added, it's on our Australian website, hasn't shipped to any other markets as yet

Do you have some idea when you might have one to sell? I’d like to get the stereo install (with cameras) done soon.

it's a new model we recently added, it's on our Australian website, hasn't shipped to any other markets as yet
I can’t seem to find it there, either. Maybe I’m just too eager to see it :)

Also just saw ( visiting the SG home page ) a new model digi speedo SGGPSAD2 (y)

I prefer this design over the old units, i think maybe as it is something that let me be more creative with placement should i need or choose to.
The older units i feel you are locked in somewhat, even if they are extremely well designed to where i would put it anyway.

BUT ! i always like to have options, even if i dont use them right away, probably somewhat due to my slightly introvert nature.

I prefer this design over the old units, i think maybe as it is something that let me be more creative with placement should i need or choose to.
The older units i feel you are locked in somewhat, even if they are extremely well designed to where i would put it anyway.
they sell pretty much the same for either design, depends on the vehicle really as to which is the better choice

you're right, hasn't gone live yet, did I mention it was a new model :p
You did, but legitimately I’d like to know how soon you believe you’ll have it here in the US, as I’d like to get it done all at once with the stereo install rather than have to go back and take it all back out for a front parking camera later.

Just a quick question since I’m FINALLY getting a chance to get this front-facing parking cam installed. The tiny directions (in English) don’t mention anything about it, but should I go ahead and use marine grade sealing heat shrink tubing on the barrel connector that’s approximately 1m from the camera? It’s going to be somewhere near the bumper or just behind the grille, definitely out in the elements before poking into the cab on the truck.

I would if it was me, any excuse to use some of my heat shrink tubing :)

Back