Reversed/Left-angle fuse tap or alternatives?

nOrbX187

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. Is there a fuse tap that on the market that has the wire coming out of the other side? I've done a bit of searching on Amazon and eBay and only see fuse taps with the cable coming out the right side (if you look at the tap with the fuse sockets facing up). The issue I'm encountering is that the fuse location I'm trying to tap has the hot side reversed and happens to be right next to the frame, so the fuse tap wire is impeding my ability to insert it correctly.

Or, if not, any alternatives out there anyone know of?

Just use a low value fuse for the tap fuse, so that you know nothing will overload. No dashcam should use more than about 0.5 amp at 12 volt so a 1 amp fuse, is all that is required and if you are tapping a 10 amp or more fuse then that is only a 10% overload even when there is a failure, normally it will be more like 4%, the wiring should be designed so that an extra 1 amp load is not going to be critical.

Normally it is impossible to know which way around the fuse taps have been manufactured until you test them.

Most people put them in the wrong way around anyway and we don't hear of many disasters!

I normally wouldn't be too concerned as you have stated since the dashcam itself doesn't draw too much current. The issue is the amperage of the BlackVue system I'm installing, specifically the battery pack. The battery itself will draw either 5A or 9A (if set in "cigarette" or "hardwired" mode respectively) for charging. The installation manual for the battery recommends selecting a fuse that is 10A or less, I'm guessing due to the fact that it draws so much current.

There's one empty fuse slot (wasn't populated from the factory) that would be perfect to use as it is only on when the car is on but that location is where I'm encountering the issue described in my first post. The alternative plan is to use the cigarette lighter fuse but setting the mode to "cigarette" so it has less current draw (plus I don't use the cigarette lighter port very often, if at all).

If the fuse slot is currently unused then you can take whatever it is rated for, so a 10 amp slot can provide you with your full 9 amps, no risks at all. The only problem you have if you can't put the tap the right way around is that you may need to install two 10 amp fuses in your tap to get power to your device.

I don't understand the instruction to use a slot that is capable of "10A or less", to be safe it must be capable of at least 9 amps! I guess that they are assuming that all slots are capable of 100 amps but are fitted with different fuses, and so it is best to use a slot that is currently lightly loaded so that it is not put under two heavy loads, however this is not a safe assumption.

The alternative, and maybe a better way to do it for a heavy load like a 9 amp charge rate battery pack is to use your fuse tap only to switch a relay and supply the power for the relay direct from the battery through your own fuse and cable, that way any fuse slot will be capable of safely driving the relay.

Back