[Review]Dome D201 with Ambarella A12

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
Well here we go now. I'm a bit excited that GearBest kind enough to send the Dome D201 my way. Just noticed the car on the box and the camera vents match. I see what you did there
Lets run down and see what we have here.
XY7iVvi.jpg

Product Page:Here
Coupon Code D201 bring it down to $105.99
Chipset:Ambarella A12 (Could not find anything that mentioned LA)
CMOS: OV4689 at 5MP
FOV:170
Resolutions:2560 x 1440 at 30
2304 x 1926 at 30
1920 x 1080 at 60
1920 x 1080 at 30
2560 x 1440 at 30 HDR
1920 x 1080 at 30 HDR

Loop (Called split on this camera) 1/3/5/Off

Plate Stamp: This was a little weird on this camera. You have to hit mode to cycle between spaces. Took me a min to figure out same with setting the time up.

Screen Off Time: 1/3/5
Version Info:SDK Version is:A12-ZX-A12a55-G-1782W
Bitrate seems to be 19MB would like to see this cranked once the A12 is sorted a little better
Audio is Mono at 128
1 min clip is 140MB

The listing says GPS Built in. Mine has it external, but included.
From playing with it at my desk it seems that it still suffers like other cameras the huge screen date and time when it HDR mode.
It seems like GPS is in Km/H and can not be turned off. I did not plug my GPS in and it read zero, but I could not remove it from showing on screen.

Last edited:
Unboxing video

TlDLanl.jpg

icnnAsw.jpg

N1ptOo1.jpg

g5nuO6t.jpg

ADQANw8.jpg

Last edited:
Day Video 2560 x 1440 at 30 HDR since it was raining today

HDR Off

94sjKr1.png

Last edited:
Night Video 2560 x 1440 at 30 HDR
In this one you will see a car go stright from a left only lane and a car run the light to make a left

Last edited:
Notes
Oct 23rd
  1. Took it for a night test run. Glad to see the screen off time of 1 min Wish it was a little lower though.
  2. Audio seems nice and clear no hiss or electronic crackle that I usually hear yet.
  3. Curious if mount can be hacked up. Wish more cameras included suction and 3M
  4. While I understand the A12 is new I look forward to seeing the bitrate raised
  5. I am using s PNY Class 10 64GB card formatted in the camera. I had a low speed card error once. Rebooted the camera and everything was okay.
  6. Wish the time stamp was a little smaller
  7. Wish I was able to turn off the speed display
  8. Have the speed in MPH as well
Oct 28th
  1. Camera needs EV bias and White Balance added.

Last edited:
Not that i think the OV sensor is bad, but i would love to see this chipset hooked up with a really kick ass CMOS.

Not that i think the OV sensor is bad, but i would love to see this chipset hooked up with a really kick ass CMOS.
I was thinking so too. Wondering what it would look like paired with a Sony sensor, but one step at a time I guess. Plus if they swap CMOS they would have to return the firmware as well too.

Here are some pictures of the GPS. I was going to flip it around so I could mount it to the windscreen, but the case won't go back together with it flipped around.

NQ05wtp.jpg

uWCPWXE.jpg

I'll review it soon.
1440p HDR should be better at night and videos above look pretty nice.

Hello. You can put the original video, not youtube? It was possible to compare the original video.
Here you go.

Raw video of this video
Va8xt3e.png

200Km/h an hour? I think not.
2560 X 14440 HDR On

Same area slightly earlier at dusk 2560 X 1440 HDR Off

Last edited:
Notes
Oct 23rd
  1. Took it for a night test run. Glad to see the screen off time of 1 min Wish it was a little lower though.
  2. Audio seems nice and clear no hiss or electronic crackle that I usually hear yet.
  3. Curious if mount can be hacked up. Wish more cameras included suction and 3M
  4. While I understand the A12 is new I look forward to seeing the bitrate raised
  5. I am using s PNY Class 10 64GB card formatted in the camera. I had a low speed card error once. Rebooted the camera and everything was okay.
  6. Wish the time stamp was a little smaller
  7. Wish I was able to turn off the speed display
  8. Have the speed in MPH as well
Oct 28th
  1. Camera needs EV bias and White Balance added.

Why you don't like the speed on display?

Mainly due to the fact that all drive over speed limit as normal traffic.

Mainly due to the fact that all drive over speed limit as normal traffic.
For some people this and I think the user in general should have the choice to turn it off or on.
The Ausdom A261 has it, and it is always not displayed, but shown in Registrator Viewer.

Also as you see above some times it can display a rather wrong number.

Any firmware updates in the works for this camera?
Thanks Fandy

Back