Review:DOME GS98C

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
Thanks to GearBest I just received a GS98C in the mail today.
I am trying to do something different. I made two videos one of my unboxing and one of a quick run through of a few menu items. You will have to forgive me I have only done a few other videos and I am not the most vocal or video professional person. If these go over well I might invest in a little stand or something to hold my phone while I make these.

Anyhow.

Supplier: GearBest
Product: GS98C (Forgive me I believe I called it a GS90C in the video)
DashCamTalk Contact: GearBest

Spec shortlist
2.7 inch LCD
178 degree super wide angle lens
Ambarella A7LA70 Chip
GPS on the car bracket
5.0MP CMOS
Resolutions
2304 x 1296(30fps)
2560 x 1080P(30fps)
1920 x 1080P(60fps)
1920 x 1080P(30fps)
HDR 1920 x 1080P(30fps)
1280 x 720P(60fps)
1280 x 720P(30fps)

Unboxing
Small Menu run through

Last edited by a moderator:
where is original samples ???
I'll try to remember to get some up. I have been trying to work on both this camera and the JooVuu X as well.

srUlzD7.jpg

5XF0Bts.jpg

ib6MuOS.jpg

It's a little tight to work with everything. I think the GPS maybe should have been moved over to the other side.
BPxdUxc.jpg

GfW16Nw.jpg

I have read other people having GPS issues. I do get a lock on, but it seems to take longer then other GPS cameras I have dealt with. I also like that this camera features 50 even locks at 30 seconds each.

Other then the added weight and chrome ring this seems to be a good camera so far.

if that's the X right next to it that will be knocking out GPS signal, move them further apart for testing

if that's the X right next to it that will be knocking out GPS signal, move them further apart for testing
In the last image I had the GS98C in the extreme top passenger side corner of the windscreen and still had GPS issues.
XCxtyGp.png

lots of reports of problems with it, they're doing something wrong it seems
That's what I had been reading a little bit of. The one I have will eventually lock on, but it takes 4-5 mins if not a little longer.

what are warm start times like?
I'll have to pay more attention next time to warm starts and write back.

What would you consider a warm start so I have a base line idea

once you've had signal ok power off and restart within 30 minutes and see how long before it picks up again

check hot start time by driving through an underground carpark and see how quickly it reconnects

Looks like gps is the only issue.
What about heat focus shift?

Which is the best resolution setting for this camera?
I have tried
2304 x 1296(30fps)
2560 x 1080P(30fps)
1920 x 1080P(60fps)
HDR 1920 x 1080P(30fps)

The best results as in smoothness and clear video to me, would be 1920 x 1080P(60fps).

Have a look at my problems with this camera. I bought two and also had GPS issues where the GPS won't even connect after 45 minutes in open air. Both my cameras stopped working all together for different reasons. See the detail on thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ome-gs98-ambarella-a7la70-chipset.9108/page-5
I used my cameras for less than a week before they both broke down. I hope your lasts longer as it seems returning them is almost not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
once you've had signal ok power off and restart within 30 minutes and see how long before it picks up again
I did some driving yesterday.
It seemed to take awhile at first then got a signal. I went to the grocery store and was in there for about half an hour with the camera off (My Subaru sockets power off when car is off) I came back and got a GPS connection back instantly.

I'll be in my car as a passenger today so I will get a chance to time it exactly from being off over night.

Also noticed this camera has the big time stamp in the display screen when set to 1080P HDR mode like other A7LA50/70 based cameras.

There is also a difference in starting undercover vs starting it in open air. Sometimes when you start it undercover it can't find the satellites and then follows another algorithm or something and then it may search for hours without connecting.

I think your being pedantic like me.

Relax because coming out of an underground car park and parking outside will certainly have different results GPS with readings.

If you have been underground for awhile then park outside the underground for a moment and move on.

Back