Review Lukas 9370

blwnsmoke

Reaction score
Country
United States
After many months of looking for the correct DashCam, Robert was kind enough to send me a 9370 to test out and review. I've had the camera now for a little over 2 months and have included both my thoughts, experiences as well as some sample videos and screen shots from my phone.

I'm going to leave a lot of the specs out because of Sunny posting everything back in September on his review.

First the box, everything looked very professional and packaged very well. I requested additional mounting attachments so I could remove the camera from one vehicle and slide it into the mount in another (I have 3 vehicles between my wife and I). Until I purchase a 2nd camera, I wanted to be able to have it in every vehicle any time I wanted. I also purchased a cig adapter as well as an additional rear camera as the rear camera will not come off the window like the front does. The rear is pretty much sticky padded onto the rear directly where the front has a plastic clip that sticks to the windshield and then you can slide the camera in and out of the clip.

20151008_152851_zpshv4uiijn.jpg

Installation went pretty smooth except for the front plastic mount. Once stuck and sliding the camera in, I found it the front mount falling off my windshield. Fortunately they give you more then one sticky pad so I redid that and all was well (maybe I didn't clean the windshield enough..). Having both a cig adapter as well as hard wiring, I chose the cig adapter at first. I have it plugged in to a source that supplies power even with key removed so the camera records 24 hours a day.

I set the camera battery voltage to turn off at 11.5v but have not run into a time yet for it to shut off. I have left the camera on for over a week straight sitting in my driveway so it does not pull much power at all while running. I also like the fact that there is a blue light on the front of it. It makes me feel that one will notice it and stay away knowing that it is powered on.

The rear camera was mounted on my sliding power window. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and ran the cable on the wrong side of the cab so the cable is on the opposite side of the slider so I need to rerun it. My main purpose of the rear camera was to help with backing up to my 5th wheel.

20151008_160559_zpsanf8yusw.jpg

20151008_160313_zps90uoublv.jpg

20151030_183334_zpskr8pyeta.jpg

What I LOVE about this camera is the fact of hooking it up via wifi to my cell phone and watching the video on a 5.1" screen instead of the 3.5" the camera has. Although a nice screen, when you have to back up very precise to the 5th wheel, it isn't big enough IMO.

As far as wifi streaming to your phone, there is approximately a 1 1/2 - 2 second delay between what you see on the camera screen and what you see on your phone or tablet. Although this isn't a big deal, I'm surprised to see a delay since it is streaming 2 feet away from the camera. I also noticed that at times the video stream to my phone would freeze up for about 2 seconds at a time. So if you are watching the time counter, you'd see. 1, 2, 3... 3.... 5, 6, 7.... 7.... 7.. 10, 11 seconds etc. It was very annoying to see it freezing and jumping to the current view when it unfreezes. This did not affect me much when backing up to my 5th wheel which is really why I wanted the live feed on my cell phone.

I did find that the video was very bright and definitely needed a lens filter which made a big improvement. I had to experience with a few filters.. at first I got a cheap one on Amazon for about $8 and I saw no improvement with it. I decided to cough up the $20 or so for the Lukas brand and noticed a much more balanced video.

Had to discuss with Robert several times regarding the Lukas viewer for MAC. Apparently Lukas doesn't like MAC very much and their player freezes a lot. It will play video for 5 seconds then freeze for a good 3-5 seconds then continue. I've tried several different Lukas players and most of the time I was experiencing this which was very frustrating. Not only that, but the player was very slow to react. I could hit "pause" and it would take 5-10 seconds to pause if it was frozen. I would click on another video and it would take 3-5 seconds for it to load on the screen. It is just a very painful viewer for MAC and hoping they will address this. To be clear, this is an issue with the viewer, not the camera itself.

I have had several triggers for the camera to record "events". Mainly this was due to going over speed bumps a little too fast. Besides that, I have not experienced any false alarms.

I've found the GPS to work very well and if I am using my truck on a daily basis, the GPS is found immediately upon powering up. If my truck has sat for several days at a time or I park it in the garage, I've seen it take a few minutes for it to find the GPS and start tracking speed.

I've chosen to shut the audio recording off due to state laws where we are not allowed to record without notifying the other person. Plus on top of that, I don't want my conversations always being recorded. This is easily changed through the Lukas app on my phone.

Last edited:
Here are 2 videos (front and rear) that do not have the filter on the lens. You can see how bright it is from the sun and I find that a lot of the trees and objects are not defined well.

Last edited:
Although the sun is not out in these, these are 2 videos with the lens filter on.

Last edited:
Here is an event that was created by going over the speed bump a little too fast. This event did have the Lucas filter on the camera to get an idea of what it is like in the sun.

With the camera, anytime you have an event, you hear the camera beep and there is a red light that flashes while it is recording the event.

I would highly recommend this camera to anyone who is looking for a feature packed dash cam. To point out two complaints again in a short summary:

- Video player on MAC is awful. IF you have a Windows based PC, you should not have any issues.
- Delay/freezing during streaming to my cell phone.
- Would like to have a larger screen with less of a frame around this camera.
- Split screen viewing is worthless. With a 3.5" screen, cutting that in half either vertical or horizontal to see both cams at the same time reduces it so you can't even make out anything.

One thing that I would like to see Lukas add is a swivel mount so I can turn the camera while mounted to my windshield. You can angle the camera up and down vertically but if I wanted to video record someone at my driver's window, I can rotate the camera to cover that. This is one thing I'd like to see added into future cameras.

Hopefully this has helped some who are in my same situation and looking to purchase a dash cam.

Last edited:
Lastly here are a few screen shots of the Lukas app on my phone (S6 Edge +)

Main screen of app

Screenshot_2016-01-04-13-29-37_zpswgkuscln.png

Settings menu to change/adjust everything on the camera

Screenshot_2016-01-04-13-29-45_zpslovuoejx.png

This is your video playback from your phone. You can separate the videos from front, rear or both as well as the type of events.

Screenshot_2016-01-04-13-30-29_zps7ta0ulq4.png

If you look at the top right corner, that is your live front and rear cameras.

This is live video on my cell phone now:

Screenshot_2016-01-04-13-31-07_zps0pskf2mh.png

Screenshot_2016-01-04-13-31-15_zpsvpe2juyv.png

Damn the video quality in harsh sunlight without a filter is brutal.
Your pic of the front screen as a backup display is pretty intriguing though, I think on a hatchback/SUV it'd work pretty good.
Is there any noticeable lag when using the screen as backup?

On a hatch or regular car, the rear would be great. It's still not too bad with the bed but obviously there is a point where you lose track of the front of a vehicle in stop and go traffic as they stay close to my bumper.

As far as the rear camera as a backup, no there really is no lag because it is connected directly to the front cam. Plus when backing up to my 5th wheel, you are going quite slow anyways. I can't see my 5th wheel hitch so having anything like this is a major plus compared to not having anything. If you look closely, you'll see a rubber gasket that is about 12" long across my bed cover. I used to use that to try and center my 5th with that so I knew I would be close on getting it connected. But now with this, no issues. Although again, the 3.5" screen is pretty small for trying to look at something that needs to be so precise. Instead, I use my S6 edge + which has over a 5" screen for backing up. And I can hold it in my hand so it's only 12" from my face when doing so.

I would highly recommend this camera to anyone who is looking for a feature packed dash cam. To point out two complaints again in a short summary:

- Video player on MAC is awful. IF you have a Windows based PC, you should not have any issues.
- Delay/freezing during streaming to my cell phone.

One thing that I would like to see Lukas add is a swivel mount so I can turn the camera while mounted to my windshield. You can angle the camera up and down vertically but if I wanted to video record someone at my driver's window, I can rotate the camera to cover that. This is one thing I'd like to see added into future cameras.

Thanks for the write-up. I have the BlackVue DR650 and the quality is horrendous compared to my old-but-trusty GW1 (see comparison I made here), hence I am looking at the Lukas 9370WD Duo.

Some questions:
- What is awful about the Mac software? I only have Macs at home, no PC
- Do you have Android / iOS app? BlackVue iOS app works quite well (no freezing or delay).

It's as if they didn't take a MAC into consideration with the player. The player will load just fine and you can browse your video clips but when you play them, it will randomly pause/freeze for 2-3 seconds then continue playing. If you click on another video to load, sometimes you get the "hang on, i'm thinking" symbol while it attempts to process the video.

It just isn't a smooth player and could be improved.

I use Android 5.1.

It's as if they didn't take a MAC into consideration with the player. The player will load just fine and you can browse your video clips but when you play them, it will randomly pause/freeze for 2-3 seconds then continue playing. If you click on another video to load, sometimes you get the "hang on, i'm thinking" symbol while it attempts to process the video.

It just isn't a smooth player and could be improved.

I use Android 5.1.

Hey, are you transferring the files on to your mac from your memory card before playing?
Some of the video glitchyness you are describing can be caused by this.
Though yes, Lukas Mac programs could be better.
Also Perian is a must for Mac Lukas users, as it easily converts the videos into something that Quicktime and iMovie can work with.
https://www.perian.org

I'm watching them straight from the memory card. I have not been able to figure out a way to transfer the file to my MAC as my MAC tells me that it can't play that type of file. The only way I've been able to do it is using the player to watch them on the card.

I'm watching them straight from the memory card. I have not been able to figure out a way to transfer the file to my MAC as my MAC tells me that it can't play that type of file. The only way I've been able to do it is using the player to watch them on the card.
That would be a large contributing factor on why it looks as poor as it does.
The read speeds are not fast enough to read all the data off the memory card via most memory card readers.

What you need to do. Once your memory card is seen in finder. Enter the memory card from finder, and drag the folders onto your mac. Doesn't matter where you drag/copy them to on your mac.
Once they are on your mac, you can then open the Lukas viewer to watch the videos. Simply find the dragged/ copied folders that are not located on your macs hard drive, and open them with the Lukas viewer.
This will really help improve the play quality.

Thanks for the write-up. I have the BlackVue DR650 and the quality is horrendous compared to my old-but-trusty GW1 (see comparison I made here), hence I am looking at the Lukas 9370WD Duo.

Some questions:
- What is awful about the Mac software? I only have Macs at home, no PC
- Do you have Android / iOS app? BlackVue iOS app works quite well (no freezing or delay).

-I wouldn't say its awful on a Mac (I am a late 2014 Macbook Pro user myself), though I highly recommend always transferring the files to your macs hard drive prior to watching, and downloading Perian, so that you can watch the videos with quicktime, finders preview, and iMovie

-Yes there is a Android and iOS Lukas eye application that works very well.

-I wouldn't say its awful on a Mac (I am a late 2014 Macbook Pro user myself), though I highly recommend always transferring the files to your macs hard drive prior to watching, and downloading Perian, so that you can watch the videos with quicktime, finders preview, and iMovie

-Yes there is a Android and iOS Lukas eye application that works very well.

Perian developer no longer supporting the app. However, do I need this app to view the PiP videos? I.e. Front and rear videos at the same time. I think each video files can be opened with VLC.

I am leaning towards the 9370 WD now, but have to figure out how to make a windshield attachment so I can rotate the camera.

Perian developer no longer supporting the app. However, do I need this app to view the PiP videos? I.e. Front and rear videos at the same time. I think each video files can be opened with VLC.

I am leaning towards the 9370 WD now, but have to figure out how to make a windshield attachment so I can rotate the camera.

Sorry if my previous comment confused you.
Persian is not required to use the Lukas Viewer.
Persian is simply a free lightweight, and stable program that converts your videos so that you can play them with quicktime, finders preview, and iMovie.

Perian is no longer supporting their program or releasing new versions. However it works fine with OSX. I am running 10.11.4 Beta (15E33e), and it still works great.
It is still advaliible for download from their website.
http://perian.cachefly.net/Perian_1.2.3.dmg

I will have to give that a shot. I downloaded Persian.. would go try it now but it's -5 outside so I'm good with staying inside lol.

The biggest issue was when transferring files from the SD card to my MAC, it could not play them due to not having the right program. If this solves the problem then I will edit my review stating that as this was a big negative for me.

Will check it out in the next day or two.

Back