Review: Mini 0902 Wi-Fi Dashcam with GPS - A7LA55 & 0V4689 (Gearbest.com)

I know this 32gb Samsung class 10 SD card works well with MINI 0902.
1451463651409458308.jpg

Thanks for the info, I bought both my 0902 cameras from your store btw :)

I finally gave up on this thing. Last Friday I bought a JooVuu X. I am blown away by the image quality on that iti biti thing. It is not perfect, nothing is... but it is waaaay better then the Mini.
Don't know what I will do with my Mini 0902. Perhaps I will donate it to Goodwill.
Good luck to all and thank you for your help.

I finally gave up on this thing. Last Friday I bought a JooVuu X. I am blown away by the image quality on that iti biti thing. It is not perfect, nothing is... but it is waaaay better then the Mini.
Don't know what I will do with my Mini 0902. Perhaps I will donate it to Goodwill.
If it works, use it as rear channel camera. Any working dashcam is better than nothing.

What happened?, your last posts seem to indicate all was going well?, and now you jumped ship?.

I did my first long commute today with Transcend SD card and it worked 100% no issues, very happy with state of things so far. Sandisk was headache and i was blaming the camera, turns out it was a simple compatibility issue. For the price I'm happy with the 0902, but then again until you said you switched it looked like you were too?

Just so I get this right:

How do I flash?
rename to firmware.bin and put root of SD?

Is there a trusted backup/restore solution for 902's? (unbricking?)

Does DirectUSB DL work with 902, and if so, what board should be selected?

Is the concurrences that the best settings right now are Stock 1.2.2 + @dps autoexec with wifi-off?

What happened?, your last posts seem to indicate all was going well?, and now you jumped ship?.

I did my first long commute today with Transcend SD card and it worked 100% no issues, very happy with state of things so far. Sandisk was headache and i was blaming the camera, turns out it was a simple compatibility issue. For the price I'm happy with the 0902, but then again until you said you switched it looked like you were too?

Two things killed it for me.
  1. Lack of manufacturer's support. No one from the manufacturer asking questions on what we are experiencing in the field, any issues we may be running into, telling us what if any firmware improvements we can expect, etc.
  2. No matter what I tried the camera kept losing focus after 15 - 20 on the road. My commute is over 1 hour. Turning off WiFi helped but did not completely fix the issue.
Every time something looked promising I would try it, got excited and next day when I arrived at work and checked the results... another letdown. dps fixes did amazing things but did not cure the focus drift issue, which is a mechanical issue. Heat causes parts to expand, changing the focal plane... What are we gonna do?

Reactions: Mtz
Two things killed it for me.
  1. Lack of manufacturer's support. No one from the manufacturer asking questions on what we are experiencing in the field, any issues we may be running into, telling us what if any firmware improvements we can expect, etc.
  2. No matter what I tried the camera kept losing focus after 15 - 20 on the road. My commute is over 1 hour. Turning off WiFi helped but did not completely fix the issue.
Every time something looked promising I would try it, got excited and next day when I arrived at work and checked the results... another letdown. dps fixes did amazing things but did not cure the focus drift issue, which is a mechanical issue. Heat causes parts to expand, changing the focal plane... What are we gonna do?

Yeah some of those issues concern me too... I've noticed the camera is more miss than hit, it'll randomly mess up the filesytem on the SDcard, once it does that the camera will boot loop. _IF_ it allows you to connect via WIFI (hanrdly ever) you might find your 64GB card reporting to be a 29.9GB card (obviously partition table messed up or card format messed up), a quick format fixes the issue but its not easy to do when the camera is constantly rebooting.

I'm sure a future FW could fix these teething issues, but I have a strong suspicion there wont be any more FW updates. Also on more that one occation that camera has made all the sounds its recording, only for me to find nothing was recorded at all.... the camera is really in ALPHA state and no where near ready as a daily tool, more like a toy than a tool. Sad really as it could be so much better.

I say this after now using the camera for a few days and getting a better understanding of how it performs (or not as the case may be).

Does anyone know who actually makes these?. Perhaps we cant contact them for newer firmware.

edit:

Some more info for those who are interested.. the device runs telnetd so that means once its booted and you link to it via wifi, you can telnet into it. username is "root" no password, single usermode would allow us access if there was one set anyway :)

Random bits of info

Camera is 192.168.42.1 with a dhcp server (dnsmasq) that has a range of .2 to .6 (tiny range but enough for a phone to connect).
Camera has MCIX NAND chip 128Mb..
Linux is OS (with busybox)
Apache cherokee is installed (but not confiured to run)
boot log attached to this post
Device supports fuse for mounting SDCARD at /tmp/fuse_d/
/etc/fstab implies ext2 is supported
filesystem is littered with stuff thats not used, implies its not a finished product :(
The wifi name "RTL871X: rtl8189es v4.3.2_11105.20140410_beta"

/etc/rc.d/rcS has a bunch of scripts that are called in numerical order. Should be easier to adjust these to disable things (e.g. wifi) with the benefit that its MUCH quicker to disable things than to allow them to start and then disable/kill them

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've bought 3 mini series cameras, and none ever seem to work.
In fact, every dash cam I've bought has failed with a relative quickness.

As much security as I *think* they give, there hasn't been a single one that has made me feel like investing money in one is a good idea. I've gone through several G1W's, a mini0805, a mini 0826, and a GT680W (which lasted the longest of any camera I've had; ~1 year).

I have this camera in my car, and after about 20 days it's started a boot loop that has been increasing in the number of times it takes to start completely. I would guess that this potentially coincided with the memory card being near capacity. I think I may be done with this completely having spent hundreds of dollars the past few years on a stack of broken cameras on my desk. After trying and seeing how quickly "the best" cameras failed from this site, it's difficult to justify continuing paying the price they command.

I've bought 3 mini series cameras, and none ever seem to work.
In fact, every dash cam I've bought has failed with a relative quickness.

As much security as I *think* they give, there hasn't been a single one that has made me feel like investing money in one is a good idea. I've gone through several G1W's, a mini0805, a mini 0826, and a GT680W (which lasted the longest of any camera I've had; ~1 year).

I have this camera in my car, and after about 20 days it's started a boot loop that has been increasing in the number of times it takes to start completely. I would guess that this potentially coincided with the memory card being near capacity. I think I may be done with this completely having spent hundreds of dollars the past few years on a stack of broken cameras on my desk. After trying and seeing how quickly "the best" cameras failed from this site, it's difficult to justify continuing paying the price they command.
Everything has its reason. Cheap product means poor quality. :)

Everything has its reason. Cheap product means poor quality. :)
Cheap doesn't have to equal poor quality. It's thinking like that however, that keeps it that way.
I've used the same camera you sell on your website, which failed on me as well. China will soon figure out that this isn't a sustainable manufacturing technique. All they need to do is ask the United States.

Reactions: Mtz
bye bye mini 0902 i have refunded.

It's a shame the problem that has been with mini 0902, its design, function and image quality were excellent, but his life is not very long, I think I'll evaluate mini 0826 or blackvue. :-(

It's a shame the problem that has been with mini 0902, its design, function and image quality were excellent, but his life is not very long, I think I'll evaluate mini 0826 or blackvue. :-(
I would go with the Blackvue, my Mini0826 only worked for about 1 week.

My Mini 0902 works OK.
I have been using it for one month now and both video quality and sound quality is fine. The only issue is that the GPS is very slow to get started. This is not a big issue, but GPS data is missing at some og the video files. I like the design of the Mini 0902 and the price is fair (bought from GearBest).

Cheap doesn't have to equal poor quality. It's thinking like that however, that keeps it that way.
I've used the same camera you sell on your website, which failed on me as well. China will soon figure out that this isn't a sustainable manufacturing technique. All they need to do is ask the United States.
I told 0902's manufacturer so many times about update hardware. But they said: it cost more to them, they will have to increase the price, the client will not be satisfied.....So, that's it.
And I give up on 0805 too. My customers keep calling me about car charger and conection between mount and camera. The manufacturer refuse to update car charger.

Last edited:
I just installed linkineyes and while it can connect the cam it tells me that the connection failed.

I am powering the cam from my PC using USB 2.0 and 3.o ports. Could that be the issue?

I dont have the cam in my car because the power adapter was DOA.

Ok it works with the car. I will try to get it mounted tomorrow.

I just installed linkineyes and while it can connect the cam it tells me that the connection failed.

I am powering the cam from my PC using USB 2.0 and 3.o ports. Could that be the issue?

I dont have the cam in my car because the power adapter was DOA.
If it's connected to PC, it probably went to mass storage mode instead of dashcam mode.

I received my dash cam earlier this week after reading reviews that were a little misleading after going through the many posts on this site.
This site is something I wish I would have come across a lot earlier. All the information has been great including the firmware upgrade which has certainly improved the units stability so far but not holding my breath.

I have tried dp's wifi script which I though was great, I'm just a little concerned after spending $115 AUD that this unit may very well not last long at all.
It is also a shame that the manufacturer has not provided a great deal of support after reading the threads which of course does not surprise me.

I'm also surprised that GearBest have been receiving a great wrap on their support which i won't comment on further.

Is anyone aware of any updates firmware releases for this device apart from version 1.2.2

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Mini 0902 1
S Mini 0902 3
CheckYourLights Mini 0902 14
Back