Review: Nano Q (aka mini 0903) Wi-Fi Dashcam - NT96655, Sony IMX322, Super Capacitor (Diggcams.com)

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Thank you @DiggCams for providing Nano Q/mini 0903 dash camera for review.
Product site: http://www.diggcams.com/mini-0903nano-q-novatek-nt96655-sony-imx322-dash-cam-p-1399.html
Quick links to review sections:
Daytime Screenshots
Daytime Videos
Night Screenshots
Night Videos
Conclusion: will update after tests.
PROS:
CONS:
Description from product site:
The Mini 0903 a.k.a. NanoQ is the latest and smallest model to the popular ultra-compact Mini range of car dash cameras offering an even smaller footprint than the ever popular Mini 0806 model and replacing the older and now discontinued Mini 0803 model.
This is the camera to have if you want to hide it away behind your rear view mirror. Being smaller than the Mini 0801, Mini 0805 and Mini 0806, the NanoQ can be tucked right behind the mirror allowing the most discreet install of any dash camera with a built in screen. In fact, this camera is much smaller than most cameras without a screen!
The Mini0903 / NanoQ can record up to 2MP HD 1080p at real-time 30 frames per second. The Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor excels at night giving crisp video no matter what time of day you are driving. Video can be viewed on the camera's 1.5" LCD screen which is also used for adjusting menu settings and aligning the camera easily. The Mini0903 / NanoQ can be mounted as a left or right-handed camera, giving a greater level of flexibility when choosing an the best installation location for your car.
The Mini0903 / NanoQ uses a high dynamic range (HDR) to improve it's ability to record in low light conditions and also offers the ability to attach a circular polarising lens (CPL) to the lens using a simple magnetic ring (no need to clip or screw on). This can help to reduce glare which may otherwise impact video quality and is highly recommended for the UK. As such, this is included in all NanoQs we sell.
The included GPS module enables the Mini0903 / NanoQ to pinpoint your location and calculate your speed which can offer additional evidence should there be an incident or help your case should you need to make an insurance claim. This information can be viewed via the software provided on the camera.
This also features super capacitor so should behave better in extreme weather conditions.

Product box is very small, only 5.25"x3.25"x3.25" and camera is well packed inside.

Unboxing Video:

Package contents:
1. Nano Q/ mini 0903 Dashcam.
2. Sticky mount with GPS.
3. micro USB car charger with additional USB port. Nice!
4. USB to micro USB power cable.
5. Two VHB tapes for the mount.
6. Product manual.
7. Lens cleaning microfiber cloth.
8. Extra mount to use with other GoPro like brackets.

DSC03994-NanoQ.jpg

Nano Q/mini 0903 Side-by-side with mini 0826.
mini 0826 doesn't look mini anymore when Nano Q is next to it.
Nano Q is very small, only 2.5"x1.5" and will be more discrete.

Front: lens and vents. Lens has rings for optional CPL.
DSC04044-NanoQ-0826.jpg

Bottom: microSD slot and mini HDMI.
DSC04045-NanoQ-0826.jpg

Nothing on the right side.
DSC04046-NanoQ-0826.jpg

Top: micro USB port, mount connector, AV out portDSC04047-NanoQ-0826.jpg
Nothing on the left side.DSC04048-NanoQ-0826.jpg
Back: 1.5" LCD screen and buttons on each side.
M/mode button cycles through video resolutions directly. Nice feature!
DSC04049-NanoQ-0826.jpg

Nano Q Folders and Files:
Root has the following folders:
DCIM: It has MOVIE subfolder that has all the video files.
GPS: It has GPS data in log files.

Nano Q folders and files.PNG

File size and VBR of a 3 minute video file: Overall bit rate is 13.1 mbps with 11.9mbps video and 512kbps audio bit rate. File size is around 280mb for 3 minutes.
Mediainfo properties:
File size : 280 MiB
Duration : 3mn 0s
Overall bit rate : 13.1 Mbps
Video Bit rate : 11.9 Mbps

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Audio Bit rate : 512 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz

Last edited:
Reserved for menu settings...

Reserved for day screenshots...

Reserved for videos.

Reserved...

You missed out an important specification - Unlike the Mini series, the Nano uses a super capacitor so no more battery issues :)

You missed out an important specification - Unlike the Mini series, the Nano uses a super capacitor so no more battery issues :)
Updated. Thanks
Testing it currently.
We'll see how good it is.

the vid unboxing is out of focus. :)

the vid unboxing is out of focus. :)
Shows how small it is - you need a macro lens to get the tiny Nano Q in focus ;)

Even then it would be difficult to keep it in focus as the depth of field would be really small.

Sunny Quoted ......The Mini0903 / NanoQ uses a high dynamic range (HDR) to improve it's ability to record in low light conditions and also offers the ability to attach a circular polarising lens (CPL) to the lens using a simple magnetic ring (no need to clip or screw on). This can help to reduce glare which may otherwise impact video quality and is highly recommended for the UK. As such, this is included in all NanoQs we sell.

You sure as on there site it states :
What is in the box:
  • GPS with mounting bracket
  • GoPro mounting adapter
  • lens protecting cover
  • LCD protecting cover
  • slim car charger
  • USB data cable
  • user manual
  • cleaning fiber
  • cable clip

• They do sell the 24mm CPL filter but they are asking $15:99 so I thought I would fire an Email over to them also to ask direct.

This model has some issues that we are discussing on the nanoQ thread.
The new 20mbps firmware looks much better than initial release, especially when the camera is not hot.
However, the heat focus shift issue is still there.
Here are few videos:
Sunny day:

Night video:

Where can I download firmware 20 Mbps ?

Do you happen to have an iPhone/iPad and Apple Lightening Camera Connection kit SD card reader?

We are trying to find if anyone has found a way to way to record GPS based dashcam files to the DCIM folder that is compatible with Apple Photo/Video importing.

If you don't have one, could you share a few files that have GPS and confirm the exact folder structure? I'll copy them to a card and test myself. :)

Do you happen to have an iPhone/iPad and Apple Lightening Camera Connection kit SD card reader?

We are trying to find if anyone has found a way to way to record GPS based dashcam files to the DCIM folder that is compatible with Apple Photo/Video importing.

If you don't have one, could you share a few files that have GPS and confirm the exact folder structure? I'll copy them to a card and test myself. :)
Sorry, the only apple I use is the one I eat. ;)
Here's folder structure of the NanoQ for video and gps files:

nano-q-folders-and-files-png.21333

Can you share some raw videos via mega or other file sharing service? (Maybe zip up the whole subdivided structure) I'm not sure if I simply rename non Nano video files to what you've posted it will be an accurate test.

Can you share some raw videos via mega or other file sharing service? (Maybe zip up the whole subdivided structure) I'm not sure if I simply rename non Nano video files to what you've posted it will be an accurate test.
PM'ed you the link.

Hey @Sunny not sure if your Mini 0903 is a prototype, but my file structure and file names are different:
Screenshot from 2016-06-03 23-47-37.png Screenshot from 2016-06-03 23-48-20.png Screenshot from 2016-06-03 23-49-09.png Screenshot from 2016-06-03 23-49-26.png

Back