Review: Vantrue® N2 Pro Dual 1080p DashCam - NT96660-OV4689/Sony IMX323 Infrared, Time Lapse

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Thank you @JIVAN for sending Vantrue N2 for review.
This camera is based upon Novatek NT96660 processor and OV4689 sensor for the front and Sony IMX323 for the rear camera.
- The first single unit dual 1080P dash cam in the market; F1.8 170 degrees/F2.0 140 degrees;
- 2560x1440P@30fps, 1080P @60fps at single front cam recording mode;
- 4 infrared LEDs around the back camera, captures the cabin situation even in darkness (in black & white view);
- Time lapse recording mode (not just in parking mode as N2);
- Support up to 64GB card (actually 128GB microSD card of class 10 at FAT32, but not recommended 128GB considering the system stability).
For more details, visit product link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0742J69SQ****************************************
Summary: Excellent daytime videos. Very sharp and clear videos from both front and rear (in cabin) cameras during the day.
Night video from the front camera is decent with some street lights.
Rear camera quality is very good even at night with infrared LED on.
This is particularly great feature for Uber drivers or others who want to capture videos of the inside.
The IR LED's are not noticeable when turned on.
This camera just needs IMX on the front as well for better night performance.
Compared to previous N2 that I reviewed here, this N2 PRO features dual 1080p, has Sony IMX on the rear camera with IR LED's, better bit rates and has time lapse recording feature.
Unboxing Vantrue N2 PRO Dual 1080p Dashcam with Day and Night Videos:
Day front videos @ 1:55, driving off-road due to accident @ 2:45, Mazda Miata tow truck @ 5:20.
Day rear videos @ 5:35, Night front videos @ 6:45, Night rear videos @ 8:30 with/out infrared @ 9.05.
Package contents: Dashcam, Mount with charging port, car charger with USB port, mini usb cable, thank you and registration cards, product manual.
20170813_112218_DSC07331_N2_small.jpg
Vantrue N2 PRO Images:
MicroSD slot and mini HDMI are under the cover.
20170813_112040_DSC06264-vantrue.jpg

Rear camera angle can be adjusted and has 4 IR LED's.
20170813_112232_DSC06268_vantrue.jpg
20170813_112248_DSC06269_vantrue.jpg

Buttons are on the bottom.
20170813_112438_DSC06273_vantrue.jpg
Vantrue N2 PRO from outside:
20170818_002309_vantrue_n2-Pro_dual_1080p-s.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Vantrue N2 PRO Folders, files and bit rate:
Files are named with date time. Front has A at the end and rear has B.
Root has DCIM folder and the following sub-folders inside:
EVENT: Entire clip is protected.
NORMAL
PHOTO
Variable Bit Rate: Overall bit rate of both front and rear camera in dual recording mode is 12.3 mbps with video vbr @ 11.9 mbps and audio @ 96 kbps.
This is better bit rate than the original N2 that had overall bit rate of 10.4 and 7.7 mbps.

Vantrue N2 Pro Folders Files Bit Rates.jpg

is this target for taxi / uber drivers?
how useful this cam for normal commute driver?
I might miss something here ...
pls. educate me

Sunny,
the product link is incorrect - pls check and update - it goes to old AR0330 based model

Looking forward to seeing your front videos as mine seem a little lower then I would like at least in my Camaro.
is this target for taxi / uber drivers?
I think this makes a good Uber driver camera. Unfortunately the rear lens can not be turned all the way around. However when it comes to normal commute drivers this camera would also work well for a parent who wants to keep an eye on their teen driver to make sure they are not texting and driving or not paying attention to the road.

Day screenshots: Very sharp focus.

Who says Mazda Miata can't haul things?
2017_0815_173807_109A.MP4_20170819_152815.708.jpg

2017_0817_081139_217A.MP4_20170819_151246.825.jpg

2017_0817_075337_205A.MP4_20170819_150647.038.jpg

2017_0817_075337_205A.MP4_20170819_150717.300.jpg

Someone forgot to stop at the merge lane's light and hit stopped car:
2017_0817_075638_207A.MP4_20170819_150925.107.jpg

2017_0817_075938_209A.MP4_20170819_151138.146.jpg

Rear camera's video is very good as well:
Vantrue N2 PRO Day Rear.mp4_20170822_161756.435.jpg

Night Screenshots:
Front:

2017_0816_220348_204A.MP4_20170819_155947.889.jpg

2017_0816_220348_204A.MP4_20170819_155959.817.jpg

Rear without infrared:
Vantrue N2 Pro Night Rear infrared.mp4_20170819_165836.598.jpg
Rear with infrared:
Vantrue N2 Pro Night Rear infrared.mp4_20170819_165852.037.jpg

Attachments

• 2017_0817_231747_269A.MP4_20170819_155745.314.jpg
    2017_0817_231747_269A.MP4_20170819_155745.314.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 4
Vantrue N2 PRO Dual Dashcam Front Videos:
Looking forward to seeing your front videos as mine seem a little lower then I would like at least in my Camaro.

You mean the angle can't be lowered?
The ball mount can be adjusted to certain degree.
Here are few front videos and the angle is fine, I can lower it even further:

Sunny,
the product link is incorrect - pls check and update - it goes to old AR0330 based model
The product is now in stock and the link is okay.
Not only for Uber or teen drivers, it can be proof that you were not texting or watching your phone in case of a crash.
In Colorado, officers check your phone when you are involved in a crash and cite you if that's the case or even worse, entire blame can be upon you even if you are not distracted.

You mean the angle can't be lowered?
I meant quality. Mine seem to have some issues to the left side of the video. Especially at night.
One of my clips looks like this, and then the next one after looks fine seems like it might have trouble adjusting to light.

Last edited:
I meant quality. Mine seem to have some issues to the left side of the video. Especially at night.
One of my clips looks like this, and then the next one after looks fine seems like it might have trouble adjusting to light.
Here's a clip from my sample when going under a bridge. I think light is adjusted pretty quick.
Left side seems fine. All areas are pretty sharp.

Try pointing the camera little sideways so the left side comes in the middle of windshield for testing.
It maybe diffraction causing some fuzziness.
Night videos are hard to compare due to different amount of light in different areas.

Thanks for posting. I'm not a fan of being on camera myself so i'll try to set mine up how you have yours to catch some of the mirror. I also noticed my camera is on firmware VTN2Pro76.v1 and the website lists VTN2Pro7H.V1
I'm going to update and see if that does anything for me.
Can be found near the bottom under support here
http://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/29.html

Thanks for posting. I'm not a fan of being on camera myself so i'll try to set mine up how you have yours to catch some of the mirror. I also noticed my camera is on firmware VTN2Pro76.v1 and the website lists VTN2Pro7H.V1
I'm going to update and see if that does anything for me.
Can be found near the bottom under support here
http://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/29.html
Haha, yes. I'll break the dashcam with my face.
Here are few more rear camera videos.

At times, it overexposes so much that it's hard to see anything out the rear window.
It's taking great video of the inside but doing that it overexposes for the outside view, specially when there are trees.

VantrueN2PRO-2017-08-24-12h40m21s980.png

Is there an exposure adjustment for the rear cam in the menu? I can certainly understand why auto-exposure would have a problem here. For 'Taxi' use, it's not a big issue as you want those interior images most but for dashcam use in general you want what's out back most. The IR functionality looks great; that has much benefit for 'Taxi' use.

And there's definitely s difference between Sunny's cam and Check Your Lights cam. Focus and the blue tint both. Hoping the firmware update fixes it as this cam has potential but only if they are all working like Sunny's. Maybe RMA time for the other one :rolleyes:

Phil

Is there an exposure adjustment for the rear cam in the menu? I can certainly understand why auto-exposure would have a problem here. For 'Taxi' use, it's not a big issue as you want those interior images most but for dashcam use in general you want what's out back most. The IR functionality looks great; that has much benefit for 'Taxi' use...
There is exposure adjustment but it maybe for both cameras. I'll check.
Obviously, the target is those who want to record inside the cabin so even if exposure is adjusted, it's not gonna capture details through the rear window.
It's good for proving someone hit you as the vehicle and driver are all you gonna see through the rear window during the day, no way to get license plate or other finer details compared to a dashcam that sticks on the rear window itself.

IR is very good. The LED's are not that noticeable when on. Usually the have red glow but this one is very faint.
Great for night time Uber/Taxi drivers. I've seen some crazy uber customer's videos.

Last edited:
I would have liked to see a bit more IR light, but as is it is usable for sure, the driver to make a living just have to be careful where he out the thing.

I am wondering when we will see a similar dashcam but with the rear IR equipped camera detachable, i would out that camera on the stalk of my RVM as there are plenty of room there, and if it was small enough and had 940Nm Ir light it would be hard to spot.

Though on the other hand looking at the driver in the RVM will probably be what a offender would do before he pounce, then again that might turn him off his plan if he see the camera.

Vantrue N2 PRO Timelapse videos: It has time lapse options of 1 sec, 5 sec and 10 sec.
Both videos below are at 1 sec option so it's 1 frame per second instead of normal 30 fps.
That means 1 minute video records 30 minutes real time.
Front: 1 minutes = 30 minutes real time

Rear:
2 minutes = 1 hour real time
Man, I need to clean my car. ;)

Night Screenshots:
Rear without infrared:
View attachment 32810
Rear with infrared:
View attachment 32811

I just purchased this camera and installed it using the cigarette lighter for power and everything was great, of note, the inside camera with the IR capabilities is what I was impressed by.

Yesterday I installed a Vantrue hardwire kit for this camera but now for some reason I believe the IR lights are no longer on or functioning.

In your post, you have two pictures from the inside camera: one which you state without the IR and one with IR on

After installing the hardwire kit, it seems either the IR lights are not on or are no longer functioning. Is there a way to turn the IR lights on/off somewhere in the menu setting that I may have missed or deactivated by mistake or do I have a faulty unit?

Edited to add:

I notice on the camera display it has an tiny icon on the top right which appears to be similar to the icon on a cell phone when one manually turns off the flash. If that is indeed what it is and indicates the IR lights are off, how do I turn them on?

Not sure here but lights are usually a menu-selectable function. That info should be in the owner's manual which can be downloaded here: http://www.vantrue.net/Support/detail/id/35.html Maybe someone else can point you to this info better than me.

Welcome to DCT :)

Phil

Not sure here but lights are usually a menu-selectable function. That info should be in the owner's manual which can be downloaded here: http://www.vantrue.net/Support/detail/id/35.html Maybe someone else can point you to this info better than me.

Welcome to DCT :)

Phil

I have both the hard copy which came with the camera and downloaded the .pdf from the manufacturers website. Nowhere in the first 18 pages of the total 40(the last 22 pages are written in a language I don't speak or read...) does it state anywhere, in any of the menu items, an option to turn the lights on or off.

After playing with this camera for some time trying to figure out what is wrong with it, pressing buttons, I did in fact discover you can in fact manually turn them on/off.

This is done by quickly pressing the power button located on the underside of the camera, while the camera is ON but NOT recording.

Nowhere in the manual does it state how to perform this after reading the .pdf, searching it via search function for key words: IR/LED/light/lights. It is not written in there how to turn them on or off.

Oh well if someone else can't find out how to do it, that's how you do it.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

And thanks to you @MadDashFlash for contributing your knowledge to the forum :D

Phil

Back