Review: Vantrue M1 Mirror Dual 1080p reverse dashcam with gps.

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Thank you @JIVAN for sending Vantrue M1 Mirror dashcam for review.

For more details, visit product link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07W65SR72****************************************
Summary: Rearview mirror, 9.88" touch screen, dual 1080p, gps, external reverse (backup) camera.
-Backup camera needs power from reverse lights to activate the reverse mode with proximity lines. This feature is very helpful when backing up.
-Supports up to 128GB microSD cards
-Front and rear cameras are not that noticeable.
Pros:
-Reverse camera automatically activates and provides parking guidelines when you shift the car into reverse.
-Great video quality, touch screen quality is very good.
-Rear video quality is excellent! Rear camera is outside so no reflection from windshield affecting the quality.
-Night video is decent from front camera and very good from rear camera.
Cons:
-Installation was little complicated. I had to drill hole as I couldn't fish the wire through any of existing holes through the hatch to license plate area.
-Depending upon the vehicle model, it's very tight with the cables and adjusting angle upwards is challenging due to factory rear view mirror housing too close to the top of mirror camera.
Vantrue M1 GPS Mirror Dashcam with Day and Night Sample Videos:
Day front videos @ 0:40, Day rear videos @ 1:43, Night front videos @ 3:10 and Night rear videos @ 4:05.
Package contents: Dashcam, mounting straps, rear camera and cable, rear camera mounting bracket, car charger, thank you card and product manual.

20191005_123627-vantrue-m1-s.jpg
Vantrue M1 Reverse proximity lines: When the vehicle is on reverse gear, the camera switches to reverse mode with proximity lines.
For this to work, you need to tap reverse light wires to rear camera positive wire.

20191017_212509_HDR-M1-REVERSE.jpg

Rear camera video is very bright even at dark.
20191006_204424_HDR-vantrue-s.jpg

Vantrue M1 folders, files, bit rate:

Root has CARDV folder.
Front camera videos have _###A at the end and rear camera files have _###B at the end.
Triggered/locked files start with S and normal video start with M.
Overall bit rate is 12 mbps for both front and rear cameras.
Vantrue M1 Folders and Files.jpg

Vantrue M1 from inside and outside the vehicle:
20191006_093507-vantrue-s.jpg

20191020_143723-vantrue-m1.jpg

20191005_132900-vantrue-m1-s.jpg

Rear camera is not noticeable:
20191005_132846-vantrue-m1-s.jpg
continued...

reserved...

I dont like how this style dash cam has the forward facing camera on the DRIVERS side.... blocks some visibility, it should be on the Passenger side.

I dont like how this style dash cam has the forward facing camera on the DRIVERS side.... blocks some visibility, it should be on the Passenger side.
Yes. It may be designed for left hand drive countries but it's not too big though to block much.

Day front video:

Day rear video:

Night front videos: audio removed

Night rear videos:

Great review as always @Sunny :)

Wondering what sensors are used? Their website specs don't tell us much about this cam :( Maybe not great footage compared to today's best, but nobody has done a "Mirror" cam this well yet which I feel is it's best virtue. Other than the front FOV which I feel is a bit to narrow for my taste I could be happy with this cam. And given that I want to add an RVM to my old workvan this cam might find it's way into there more as a second cam (I like redundancy).

Phil

Great review as always @Sunny :)

Wondering what sensors are used? Their website specs don't tell us much about this cam :( Maybe not great footage compared to today's best, but nobody has done a "Mirror" cam this well yet which I feel is it's best virtue. Other than the front FOV which I feel is a bit to narrow for my taste I could be happy with this cam. And given that I want to add an RVM to my old workvan this cam might find it's way into there more as a second cam (I like redundancy).

Phil
Thanks Phil. Not sure about the sensors. I'll see if I can get more info.
I avoided external camera for a long time as it needs drilling out a hole through the rear door.
This looked promising so went for it.
This is very old car, 2000 model and always wanted to install a backup camera.
This is even better than backup camera due to the big screen showing rear video.
Also, rear camera is outside so video doesn't have windshield reflection and dust.
It's always on so hopefully the display doesn't go out soon.

@SawMaster
According to seller, the processor is M-Star MSC8328Q and sensor is JX-F22.

Do you know if this can be used with the rear view showing permanently but also with the speed overlay showing?

Do you know if this can be used with the rear view showing permanently but also with the speed overlay showing?
I have it on rear view permanently.
The big speed display is only when it's off.

Back