Review: Vantrue OnDash N2 Pro Taxi Cam

I'm adding what will be my very last thoughts on this cam here, and will refer to this in my OP.

On the cam itself, I've pretty much said everything I can say about it already. On the support for this cam, I'm quite disappointed. I have discovered several people having problems with their Vantrue cams including this one, to which they can get no response from their website or from those representing the company here on DCT. I've noticed some personnel changes have hapened there since I began this review but the situation remains unchanged. They've had ~2 years to address the bluish tint issue with the front cam and haven't done so, even after i directly reported it to them. I find this unacceptable behavior from any major Dashcam manufacturer. Better can most certainly be done as is evidenced by other cams using this same sensor, one of which told me that it would be relatively easy to fix via a firmware update. And maybe more relevant is that there will soon be dual-remote cams on the market offering interior IR modules as well as the same for the more usual main front/remote rear cams. One of those is already in Beta testing and already outperforms the N2 Pro by a huge margin, another is due from a company noted for excellence in their cams, a third will come from a well-known manufacturer with a good track record on quality, and there's someone else developing a "taxi" cam model with better specs than this one at a lower price though I haven't heard any details on it of late. When the F50 was the only competition to the N2 Pro there was something to be recommended for this one- that situation is about to change in a very big way which is to our benefit, but will make the N2 Pro and the F50 totally outclassed and redundant. Given all this I can no longer in good conscience recommend this cam. It's not really a bad cam, but it's days are over as will happen with every cam eventually. It could have been better with only a slight effort from Vantrue but that didn't happen and won't be enough to matter now. I'll let you folks know when the battery dies more as an academic point than as useful information as I never really had a chance to test that in the summer heat here.

Thanks for riding along with me and the N2 Pro, and happy dashcamming to all!
Phil

(Added): The battery now shows a 'low battery' warning on screen when the cam goes unused for over 12 hours; this after one full year of use. Summers here are long and hot, my vehicle doesn't have A/C, and most of this time the cam was recording continuously which adds even more heat. It takes at least a ten minute drive to charge the battery enough to save the last file now. I'd guess the average owner will get about 3 years use with this cam to reach this point.

Last edited:
Back