Review: Villain 1080p Dashcam (Canada)

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129
I was interested to see a 1080p / IMX based dashcam in Canada for under $100. It's a very basic kit included, only the camera, mount, power adapter and USB cables. No GPS or anything fancy like that. I found the camera on a flash deal for $30 CAD but it is now back at $75.

(Go to 0:30 to skip my intro).

What I Liked:
- Small body is fairly discreet
- Daytime video is decent overall
- Bright night video (albeit not the most detailed)
- Clear audio recording
- Uncomplicated set up

What I Didn't Like:
- Battery based (haven't tested in below freezing or above 30C!)
- Sometimes the compression is too high resulting in blocky artifacts

Conclusion: Considering here in Canada we don't always have the most options, I welcome any competitor who releases a decent product at a cheap price. The draw of this camera versus others in its price range is the Sony sensor, which delivers good true 1080p in the day and acceptable night video. This camera is fairly cheaply built but it feels more solid than a G1w, which is around the same price. Video quality (colour rendition and exposure) are better than the A118C2, which is around the same price. The only thing really holding it back over the G1w / A118c series is that it uses a battery instead of a capacitor. Most places in Canada have real winter compared to Vancouver and batteries are often unreliable below freezing. In my month of testing this has been a decent starter camera but as always I recommend spending a little more to get a camera that has proven reliability.

Mediainfo:

villain.PNG

Screenshots (day):

2017_0921_131758_002.MOV_snapshot_02.26_[2017.10.12_21.54.37].jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Screenshots (night):

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Important Specs:

- 1080p @ 30 FPS w/ Sony IMX323
- Novatek NT96658 Processor
- 200mAh Li-ion battery
- Basic motion sensor parking mode (requires hardwire)

Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B073WLQQD4

Back