Review: Viofo A119

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Dash Cam
dp220, p2, pS
Full view review for russian spoken

Original review http://andrei.krutsko.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry161114-122824

Good looking and well made dashcam with hidden mountings:
IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2379.jpg

Overall day performance meets expectations. It is just good thanking to 1440p sensor.

Day:
day_compare.jpg

Dynamic range is a bit less than Dp220's sensor. But exposure metering working fast and too careful with highlights.

High contrast scenes:
contrast_compare1.jpg

contrast_compare2.jpg

At night A119 exceed expectations.
The very first OV4689 dashcam making at night something different and not a "total black square".

Night:
night_compare1.jpg

night_compare2.jpg

night_compare3.jpg

Found issues:

Sometimes GPS was unstable. Seems like GPS antenna loose signal

gps.jpg

Dp220 in compare:

gps_dp220.jpg

Overall consultion:

Good try on a OV4689. Surprisingly good at night despite on very blacky sensor and that is really amazing.
Perfect picture at day with high details 1440p resolution.

Side by side comparision: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/side-by-side-viofo-a119-transcend-dp220-panorama2.25500/

Attachments

• day_compare.jpg
    day_compare.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 7
  • night_compare1.jpg
    night_compare1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 8
  • night_compare2.jpg
    night_compare2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 7
  • night_compare3.jpg
    night_compare3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 8
  • contrast_compare1.jpg
    contrast_compare1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8
  • contrast_compare2.jpg
    contrast_compare2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi!
As I see you use RegistratorViewer to play your video files and RV shows GPS info from A119. How did you manage to do that?
Thanks!

Hi!
As I see you use RegistratorViewer to play your video files and RV shows GPS info from A119. How did you manage to do that?
Thanks!

not supported in Registrator Viewer, notice that the section highlighted is meant to show that GPS is unstable yet the screenshot shows the location and speed data at that time, better to judge if GPS is stable using a supported program

@viofo have been making changes recently so latest firmware is needed also

Yes, I know that it is not supported in RV. That's why I asked about that screenshot with video from A119. Yes, it shows unstable signal, but it does show anyway. When I tried to playback the A119 files I saw nothing in this section. It was empty.
using a supported program
If this is about Dashcam Viewer... no thanks ))) Terrible peace of soft

have to work with what's available right now, making comments based on unsupported software is pointless

Look, I was not going to start discussion or something. Just asked the author how he got that screenshot. Seems like I should send him PM.

Sorry, for the late response but I'm really surprised that RegistratorViewer is not supported.
All videos all manipulations with viofo were made in RegistratorViewer and eveything worked just perfect.
Have no ideas why it is not supported.

GPS coordinates missed in both in-video stamp and in GPS stream.

And the most interesting thing that other sunny day GPS stream was suddenly fully supported. Looks like only clouds made things worse and makes player uncompatible.

Thanks for reply.
I think it might be some misunderstanding. RV plays the video stream alright. But it can't extract GPS info from the container. So no diagrams below the picture. But not in your case )))

In my case it worked just perfect except for a cloudy tracks :)
If it was a sunny recording - gps track was extracted without any issues or exceptions.

I never ever update software just for fun if there is nothing wrong with the olders version :)

Anyway, I'll test once more. Hope that tested A119 is not sold yet.

I never ever update software just for fun if there is nothing wrong with the olders version :)

Anyway, I'll test once more. Hope that tested A119 is not sold yet.

there's a lot of models that are not supported in the older versions of Registrator Viewer, there are changes to the GPS format in the new firmware for A119 so there's a chance it will stop working with that old version also

good to know for the "a lot of models" owners... :)
and if a new FW does not work - the best option is to ignore that destructive update

and btw
from my experience the very first dashcams FW versions sometimes are the most stable and making the best picture, meanwhile the latest one is more enhanced in useless details and stupid features but worse in overal picture quality
for instance panorama2: http://andrei.krutsko.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry140530-010704
and the very old Gs1000: http://andrei.krutsko.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry121218-095518

and if a new FW does not work - the best option is to ignore that destructive update

there are a lot of fixes in that 'destructive update'

from my experience the very first dashcams FW versions sometimes are the most stable and making the best picture, meanwhile the latest one is more enhanced in useless details and stupid features but worse in overal picture quality

not many cameras even get updates, most manufacturers you get what you get and they move on, even these cameras you reference are very outdated models, a lot has changed since then

There are two wrong positions here:
1. to do not fix issues at all
2. to implement any stupid users request, and even broke something in fundamental basic functionality
both ways are completely wrong.

dashcam should film with a as good picture quality at day and at night as it is just possible.
and in case the update broke some fundamental and recording function - yes it is a 'destructive update'... and does not matter how is a "fix list" long

Last edited:
Back