Review: Xiaomi 70Mai Dashcam

Jeremy Wong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119, Viofo A119S, Xiaomi Mijia, 360 J511C, etc
Author's Note: The full review can be found here. My review blog for my other reviews: jwtechreviews.com

Thank you GearBest for sending over this for review.

Official product page: Xiaomi 70Mai Dashcam
GearBest product page: Xiaomi 70Mai Dashcam

Technical Specs:
• Processor: Mstar MSC8328P
• Sensor: Sony IMX323
• Viewing angle: 130° wide angle, F2.2 Aperture, 4G Glass Lens
• Ring-shaped indicator
• Voice command
• G-Sensor: 3 Axis Gravity Sensor
• Resolution: 1920×1080 30fps
• Supports 16GB-64GB class 10 or higher microSD card
• Built-in WiFi
• Built-in 240mAh battery

The box

Open box

Contents

• Xiaomi 70Mai Dashcam
• USB car charger
• 90° angled micro USB cable 3.5m
• Electrostatic film
• Manual in Chinese

Xiaomi 70Mai Dashcam

USB car charger

90° angled micro USB cable 3.5m

Electrostatic film

Manual in Chinese

Initial firmware out of the box

New firmware

Test setup

I will be using 64GB Samsung Evo+ UHS-1 for the recordings

70Mai Dashcam app

More apps screenshot in my review blog.

The button function

Tips, installation, user manual & FAQ

Note – the user manual and FAQ is really a lot to read so I didn’t screenshot the whole thing.

Videos
Recorded in 1920×1080 30fps with an overall bit rate of 16.1 Mb/s. Firmware version 1.0.2.

Final thoughts
I think this 70Mai dashcam is a super budget dashcam below RM200 (US$50) price range with Sony IMX323 sensor.

The video quality is crisp and clear.

I don't have the chance to try out the voice command yet as if not mistaken have to be in Mandarin. Will test later when have time.

Do you have the Blueskysea B1W? Almost identical specs and form factor, but the processor is different.

Do you have the Blueskysea B1W? Almost identical specs and form factor, but the processor is different.

Yes I do. B1W is using a capacitor.

Could you post a few frame grabs so that we can see the original detail instead of YouTube compressed video?

The B1W is hard to beat for fine detail in number plates, we need to see if this can compete, although I think this has already lost by using a battery instead of super-capacitor and having chrome around the lens...

Can anyone explain the meaning of the "70" in the name?

B1W has lower bitrate though, but I haven't compared the quality between the two. B1W also has capacitor and parking mode. The Xiaomi is also a lot cheaper for me ~$20 difference.

great review, it is just the same as the Xiaomi dash camera from a few months back is it not, same chipset and sensor but iin a different form factor. from the YT video, looks very much xiaomi style - oversharpened to the point of artefacting, with crushing of detail

B1W is actually cheaper on amazon, compared to thinkware f50 i think thinkware f50 is dethroned by either?

Hi Guys,
I own this dashcam and no doubt it serves the purpose well and good.
But let me ask you one doubt I had... If you check for it's recordings via app, all the recordings are for 1 minute only. Even the sample attachments are also showing a duration of 1 minute.
They can't record continuously?
Or it's just showing this only when viewed through app?

Thanks for your answers.

My review of this dashcam. With day andnight footage.
Video quality good for the price I think.

I did a longer drive with it today and had some problems. First off I think gsensor. My van has a hard ride and hit speed bumps and the think stopped working.

Then tf cards! It worked fine with a 4gb card when tested at home, but then when driving it decided it didn't like the card. Today I was using Sandisk 16gb class ten and it still kept crashing. Just turned off complaining about card. I had formatted in the camera first. Then later it decided it didn't want to format the card. It crashed and I had to use the reset hole. Not very happy!

Hello, is it the cheapest of any Wifi dashcam ? and the best for such a price ? Thanks.

Initially in my post I mentioned some issues with it crashing. Turned out the problem was caused by the 5v usb regulator chip I had hard wired in to power the dashcam. Subsequently wiring it with the power adapter supplied it has been absolutely reliable. I should have updated my last post. BIG apologies. And in answer to your question, I think for the money it does a good job.

Back