Reviewing the GITUP Git1

Tigris99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok got the first video section of my review finished. Obviously my reviews are on going as I put my cameras through use and abuse before giving a final opinion.

Git1 @ gearbest

Sadly I didnt end up with the full kit, just the camera (and sent a waterproof case separately) as I want to test the remote, but Ill order one soonish.

Has setting to change for inverted recording, g-sensor, loop, motion and so on.

-CASE, its not your cheap SJ clone case. Much nicer, the locking clip design is really nice.
-Camera just feels and looks better in hand that the other clones. As said elsewhere, Im noticing the same responses from people that I dont get with the other clones. The "hey, what camera is that? It looks really nice, not some cheap thing"
-the UI: It works, its simple and quick to change about anything. Havent tested the camera time lapse and burst yet (will this weekend) but have no worries about it as everything works REALLY WELL.
-Low light/night time use. Seems to be able to adapt to changes in lighting conditions faster and clearer than my C10. Both look the same after dark for video quality, but sudden light level changes the Git1 seems to just handle a fair bit faster. And video quality is nice for what it is.
-run time: Used it for an hour at one point, only lost one bar on the indicator. Others.....down to one bar left in an hour or less.

Dislikes:

-Only two so far, Ill update if I find anything else, is that there is nothing but the wvga resolution that has 60fps....thats a first for me. 720/60 I thought was a standard for these cameras anymore. Not a deal breaker as I run 30fps after dark anyway, but tight twisty, wooded trails that IM going at higher speeds, the FPS (or lack of) starts to show itself.
-the audio- the wind noise due to the location of the latch makes for and interesting and annoying noise in the videos.

And for the first video: unboxing and "test" rides. This camera I have mounts and such on the way to do a bit more with it than I did with the C10, just because I actually trust the case rear plate not to break and fall off, and the waterproofing I trust better. Goal is to catch a storm on the trip down or trip home and mount camera externally on the car. We'll see though.

Last edited:
nope hadnt bother checking yet. Just saw it but the notes match that of the older version. No 60fps for 720 res :( But I have had 0 issues with my camera, and the audio on/off seems to work fine for me. So not sure whats supposed to be in the update compared to what I have besides the camera functions.

nope hadnt bother checking yet. Just saw it but the notes match that of the older version. No 60fps for 720 res :( But I have had 0 issues with my camera, and the audio on/off seems to work fine for me. So not sure whats supposed to be in the update compared to what I have besides the camera functions.
The mute is really a dashcam function, Git1 makes a perfectly decent dashcam.

The exposure and WB lock are for video and can be very useful, depending on what you are recording. I tested them out on some fireworks, you can see when I change the locked setting a few times in this video:

Sidmouth%20Sunset.png

Sidmouth%20Fireworks.png

When set to most sensitive there are some obvious lens reflections but that is due to the very bright fireworks, in normal situations you never see any lens reflections, it is a very good lens.

Agree about the wind noise, but using an external microphone it is excellent, though that is impractical for some things.

The Git2 will be 60fps, most of the time the Git1 produces very smooth 30fps, in bright lighting you sometimes need a dark filter or CPL to get it smooth.

No 60fps for 720 res :( .
It support 720P 60fps by default, but we know it is duplicate frame, it does not make sense, so we decided to remove this option.
I think this option is exist on C10, have you tested C10 720p 60fps, how do you think it?

@Tigris99, thanks for your great work, I am much appreciate it.
For dash cam using, we developing our own frame and car mount, it will be available soon.
For the car mount, it is a little smaller than we see on SJ4000, also we use different frame than SJ4000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I noticed you mentioned the audio is not great.
Regarding the audio, the default audio is very low on most of Novatek platform, we took much time to improve the audio level, but in some environment like big wind, it will be worse.
Now we are testing a new better MIC, decided to use this on GIT2, if everything going well, maybe will think about to replace the MIC on Git1.

ok seems a fair chunk of this thread was lost for whatever reason. I'll post the important bits again

audio is a waterproof case issue
gitup is bringing back the 720/60 for people like me that need the higher frame rate for in close, fast action.

(forum still acting up while I'm trying to post this)
doing a side by side versus against the c10. So far this weekend c10 has shown a couple annoying bugs, git1 JUST WORKS. Simple, reliable, better battery life. Once that firmware update is available this camera will be my "go to" camera for everything. I know it'll work and not give me any problems.

There is website database problem yesterday, so it seems some data lost.
Thank you for your re-post and update testing status.

The WDR option of the Git1 really works great. Have a look here:

@techtronic: thats my next feature to test out, it should help with riding in wooded areas. Seems to be working well though, didnt expect it to.

OK home now....got alot of video to go through and put into proper comparison video lol. Also took some pictures, which I didnt mess with settings just left everything on auto. I do look forward to changing exposures for night time riding though, curious to see if it helps or not.

That said: I have looked at some of the video segments and heres what I see so far:
-C10 is doing better with fast motion in close. Noticeably better. That of course is at 720/60 fps
-Git1 the image quality is great and colors are much more vivid, not "washed out" by sun light. This was in both 720 and 1080 modes. 720 was a brief test but without FPS it couldnt compare to the C10, but at 1080, anything that wasnt moving fast that was very close to me looks beautiful! Color quality was better on the Git1 no matter what.

CANT WAIT FOR 720/60fps update!

Also instead of relying on my phone like we usually do, I took the Git1 for our visit to a place called Grants Farm. This is where WDR being turned on would have helped, but I didnt think of it. Pictures came out great, but some section of the video the high contrast of light messed with it a bit, causing the low light areas to be missing detail. Which watching the videos by these guys, WDR definately fixes that. Kicking myself for not trying it that day (assumed it wasnt going to be worth bothering with).

Also noticed something with the Git1, think firmware patch may have addressed it, but the battery status. Stays on "full" for a LONG TIME. Then once it goes to 2 bars, from there till battery is low doesnt take all that long in comparison. But battery lasted for a good 2-3 hours of taking pictures and some videos one the family visit to Grant's Farm. Not like the C10 that is at last battery bar in under an hour.

Ill let my video (once completed) speak for itself, but conclusion is, the C10 is going to my son, Git1 IS MINE! lol.

@Tigris99, thanks for your detail testing, and look forward to see the comparison.

For 60fps version, please download the latest FW from below link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/git1/GIT1FW-20150908.zip

We haven't official released this firmware yet.

Change log:
1. Added: Support 720P 60fps, improved bit-rate to 10.5Mbps for 60fps option.
2. Improved: OFF Red LED and ON Green LED then camera fully charged
3. Improved: Disable screen backlight after 1 minute while charging but enable backlight again if user press any button
4. Changed/Fixed: Text display issues

3. Improved: Disable screen backlight after 1 minute while charging but enable backlight again if user press any button

I was just about to contact you about this, no need now ;)

@gitup
Very fast work on that one, means I can do the second part of the video comparison this next weekend, which I have some more options and time to do more than just riding trails to add to the comparison. Couldnt exactly carry 2 cameras when I was on the family outing on vacation lol.

..And installed, well see how it does, looking forward to this with WDR on, especially with night riding!!!

Last edited:
@gitup
Very fast work on that one, means I can do the second part of the video comparison this next weekend, which I have some more options and time to do more than just riding trails to add to the comparison. Couldnt exactly carry 2 cameras when I was on the family outing on vacation lol.

..And installed, well see how it does, looking forward to this with WDR on, especially with night riding!!!
I've already tested it,
The 60fps works nicely in sunlight but does drop to around 30fps in darker conditions which I think is correct behaviour.

The charging turning the screen off is nice, I don't worry about leaving it charging now and the green full LED is very obvious if you leave it facing the room.

With the WDR, you can leave it on, it wont do anything if it doesn't need to but it does help in high contrast situations, only turn it off if you want to record something where you want to keep high contrast in the video, such as a sunset.

Frame and Car mount for Git1.
Regarding the frame: allow to use it upside down, and easy to access the port and card slot
The car mount is smaller than we see on SJ4000 or GoPro.
git1 dash cam.jpg

Attachments

• git1 dash cam-3.jpg
    git1 dash cam-3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 13
  • gitup frame.jpg
    gitup frame.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Car Mount.jpg
    Car Mount.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 15
I like the minimalist design. Do you plan to make a KIT with the suction cup ?

I like the minimalist design. Do you plan to make a KIT with the suction cup ?
Sourcing a good car charger now, plan to sell the charger and mount, frame together.

Indeed, sometimes the car chargers are a real pain, some poor quality ones make various sound (buzzing, whistling) and also can create cracking or popping noises in car radio system. Another problem could be the voltage drop if the cable is to thin and to long, so this should be also taken into consideration.

Frame and Car mount for Git1.
Regarding the frame: allow to use it upside down, and easy to access the port and card slot
I like more upside down because of easy access at the shutter button, the camera is already mounted in my car for almost a month and is working great even here was very hot weather and my car was running under the sun all day. No missing second or camera freezing in one month! I am using a 64GB Samsung Evo card.

The car mount is smaller than we see on SJ4000 or GoPro.
Yes, is smaller but some people will want even smaller. With a lot of GoPro mounts on the market I am still thinking to a fixed mount wich can be adapted on y setup, to make the mount really short.

A great feature from action cams which is not found in dashcam settings, is the timelapse function:

When you have long trips to record you can save a lot of card space and you don't need to edit the video on PC. When using the 10FPS option the size will be 3 times smaller and when you will use the 1FPS option you will have a size 30 times smaller!

enjoy,
Mtz

Back