Rexing S500 doesn't start in cold weather?

Rykor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, has anyone experienced their cameras not turning on in cold weather until it's warmed up a bit?

Have a Rexing S500 and when it's cold out, maybe around freezing temperature or so overnight, the camera won't turn on in the morning until it's basically warmed up a bit. It's hardwired so there's nothing that prevents it from turning on.

Which piece of the camera might get too cold to operate, and would this be a problem for other cameras also? As of yet I haven't noticed any issues with my BlackVue DR490-2CH in cold weather but I also don't check those videos often. I have other problems/dislikes about that camera.

I'm thinking about replacing the S500 with a Rexing V1P 3rd Gen. Bought one of these already for a relative and it seemed pretty good for the little time I played with it, although at the time I couldn't get the wi-fi to transfer any videos so I'm not sure about that feature.

I never had any issues with an older Rexing V1 so maybe the S500 was just a fluke.

What are your thoughts on the cold weather issue, and/or the V1P 3rd Gen?

Thanks.

...What are your thoughts on the cold weather issue,...
Thanks.
Every camera I have (see list in my signature) has worked in sub-zero temperatures down to -20F so I can only assume that there's something amiss with yours.

Hello.

I registered to ask if you had found a solution to this as I have been experiencing this exact problem with my S500 for 18 months.

It’s great during the summer, but every morning in the winter it just enters a boot loop... on, off, on, off.

I originally was planning to exchange it while it was under warranty (am happy with it otherwise) however Amazon UK stopped selling them and had none to send. As it was hardwired in, I thought it try to sort it myself.

What I’ve noticed is, it lasts a bit longer ‘on’ with the rear camera disconnected, the sd card out and the screen off! But it still eventually restarts again... like it’s a power issue.

Also tried operating via power from the OSB2 port, but it is still the same.

I’ve opened it up and was hoping to order a replacement battery, but there is no info printed on it!

For now I’m going to wrap the battery up in insulating electrical tape and hoping that will take the chill off it!

Any help/advise welcomed.

On a cold day.. can you check that you actually have power at the camera. You could have a bad connection someplace that is heat sensitive.

Back