Rexing V1 Generation 3 4K dash camera

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3/v2/v1
hi everyone,

Saw some YouTube videos a few weeks back about the Rexing V1 Gen 3 and saw that it was recording in 4K. However, for the life of me I can't seem to locate the exact specifications of what sensor and chipset this camera is using. I am wondering whether this is a true 4K dash camera (not just interpolated), as Sony released a bunch of security/dash cam 4K sensors last year and the year before.

thanks for the info @jokiin , looks like I got excited too quickly. what a shame then it isn't real 4K, looks like everyone will have to wait a bit longer (cannot be bothered putting a 4K action camera back in the car)

4K is better in theory that reality based on currently available hardware when it comes to dashcams, a bit early yet

some channel on YouTube did a comparison where they stuck up a dome security camera with one of the new Sony 4K sensors, against a Starvis and the 4K did quite well picking up more detail even in low light/night. I guess it's just a matter of cost and optimising the heat and power consumption before it turns up in consumer dash cameras..

as a security camera it can work better as the scenes are mostly static, drive around with the same cameras in an ever changing scene and they wouldn't fare so well

as a security camera it can work better as the scenes are mostly static, drive around with the same cameras in an ever changing scene and they wouldn't fare so well
fair enough, footage looked ok to me when person was driving around - there is probably work to do though at high speed driving et cetera

day, night, direct sun, overcast etc etc is something that easier to deal with when not much is moving, when everything is moving it gets a lot more challenging to deliver results, it can look ok in some situations and fall apart in others, striking a balance that works overall is a lot of work at the best of times

yeah alright alright :)

not having a go at you, just pointing out that it's a lot harder than it looks, current tech is not really there yet
ok no worries, well let's hope it comes there soon. I don't see any big reason to update the setup I have now purely because of no big resolution jump for licence plate identification / all that. my credit card is happy, but my sanity isn't haha

it's evolution rather than revolution when it comes to this type of technology, the improvements are incremental but always happening, no big tech leaps unfortunately, but who knows what may come later on

Back