Rexing V1P - Ah Sh*T Moment

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
So there's a lady I know who is an acquaintance in her 60s and not tech savvy. I told her about Dash Cameras and shown her videos from my daily driving. Well she told me how her family member convinced her to get one but she never installed it. It was a Rexing (not something I recommended).

Well, I offer to be nice and hook it up. She doesn't want the trim removed and didn't have a hardwire kit. So I simply ran wires along headliner and alongside A-Pillar and terminated into her 12V Socket. I set the resolution to 4K. I tried to tell her what Memory Card to get, but she didn't listen. Picked up 128GB card where I tried to tell her get a 256GB.

As luck has it, some guy BACKED into her car while she was exiting a parking lot. Because I had it set to 4K, it used 500MB a file. Anyway, 3 days later she says can you pull off the video....Sigh, well you know where this is going. The card had filled up and overwrote the video. G-Sensor to Medium didn't pick up impact and save the file. I'm guessing he was going pretty slow as mostly front bumper damage. But still, it was an impact.

Anyway, I changed resolution to 1080P so she has greater than a days worth of recording. I guess I should have set it to a lower resolution, but had put to highest, since you want detail if someone is hitting you!

Bummer. Luckily guy was honest and gave her his information (not sure she's verified). But the sad part, she didn't reach out to me when it happened or ask what to do (pull card or yank power) to prevent overwriting.

Ah well live and learn. Thought I'd share.

So there's a lady I know who is an acquaintance in her 60s and not tech savvy. I told her about Dash Cameras and shown her videos from my daily driving. Well she told me how her family member convinced her to get one but she never installed it. It was a Rexing (not something I recommended).

Well, I offer to be nice and hook it up. She doesn't want the trim removed and didn't have a hardwire kit. So I simply ran wires along headliner and alongside A-Pillar and terminated into her 12V Socket. I set the resolution to 4K. I tried to tell her what Memory Card to get, but she didn't listen. Picked up 128GB card where I tried to tell her get a 256GB.

As luck has it, some guy BACKED into her car while she was exiting a parking lot. Because I had it set to 4K, it used 500MB a file. Anyway, 3 days later she says can you pull off the video....Sigh, well you know where this is going. The card had filled up and overwrote the video. G-Sensor to Medium didn't pick up impact and save the file. I'm guessing he was going pretty slow as mostly front bumper damage. But still, it was an impact.

Anyway, I changed resolution to 1080P so she has greater than a days worth of recording. I guess I should have set it to a lower resolution, but had put to highest, since you want detail if someone is hitting you!

Bummer. Luckily guy was honest and gave her his information (not sure she's verified). But the sad part, she didn't reach out to me when it happened or ask what to do (pull card or yank power) to prevent overwriting.

Ah well live and learn. Thought I'd share.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Rexing V1P dash cam.

It seems like you had a bit of a challenge with the dash cam setup and encountered issues with the video being overwritten due to the storage card filling up. Here's a quick suggestion to ensure this issue does not reoccur:

It's unfortunate that the video got overwritten, and I understand the frustration of not being able to retrieve the footage. Setting the resolution to 4K does provide detailed footage, especially in the event of an incident, but it's essential to consider the storage limitations.

In situations like this, it might be beneficial to regularly check and manage the memory card capacity, especially when using higher resolution settings. It can help to periodically review and back-up critical footage to help avoid similar issues in the future. You can utilize the mobile app "Rexing Connect" to quickly and easily check up on dash cam footage and SD card storage without having to remove the memory card from your dash cam.

It's great that the person involved in the accident was honest and provided the necessary information. If there are any further questions or if she needs assistance in optimizing the dash cam settings, feel free to offer your help. Learning from experiences like these can indeed help improve the overall effectiveness of dash cam usage. Safe driving!

I find it EXTREMELY frustrating when people will not listen to my sense / reasoning, then i am glad i always have a 3 - 10 mm long haircut so i can not get a grip to pull out any of my hair even if the wanting to do that is there.
Well at least in the real world, online i care a lot less.

But for instance all my little sisters kids picking up smoking is immensely sad for me CUZ all the years of them growing up and me acting as backup dad as their actual fathers was never around ( thank god ) I have always said to them DO NOT start smoking.
One of them also turned to drugs, and while i have been a well adjusted cannabis addict myself for most of my life, i have always advocated against it as it is just stupid, i have of course never smoked weed in front of the kids.

Back