Rexing V1P Firmware Causing Rear Cam Failure (Revert Firmware?)

usmcmcauliffe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I'm new here & this is my first post..
I'm hoping to find some help with something.
Last night I figured I would update the firmware for my Rexing V1P Pro Dual Cam.
I followed the instructions exactly, downloaded the new firmware update (T511AA.96663.4689.20200902.01) & uploaded it via MicroSD to my cam.
Upon booting up the cam, the screen showed a bunch of random colored pixels and would freeze after about ten seconds & reboot, and repeat.
(you can see the messed up pixels in one of the pics I posted)
I kept messing with it, and discovered that if I switched to front cam only, disabling the rear cam, it ran perfectly.

So did the firmware update the front cam, but not the rear cam, and now the rear cam is incompatible???

I would rather have both cams running, than to have the few little upgrades (parking mode is the main one I noticed).
So can I go back? Where can I find the old firmware?
Old firmware: (T501AA.96663.4689.20190514.01)

Thanks!!!
-M McAuliffe

Attachments

• 132791896_418466876111215_2269537095449231720_n.jpg
    132791896_418466876111215_2269537095449231720_n.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 132851368_159470678847019_4446813800414836404_n.jpg
    132851368_159470678847019_4446813800414836404_n.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Welcome to DCT @usmcmcauliffe :)

Other than sourcing the old FW from Rexing I don't know where you'd get it. And Rexing isn't the best for after-sales support so I don't know if that will be effective but you can try. Otherwise trying the update again might work.

There's a few steps to ensuring best results with FW updates. First is to use a known good sd card of no more than 32GB size set to fat32 format. And the cam needs a robust and stable power source during the process so either use a phone charger rated at at least 1.5A (1500mA) plugged into the wall, or do this in the car with the engine running. Powering via the USB ports on computers or by USB ports built into the car often does not give you enough power so are best avoided. Before loading the FW to the card, format it in a PC using the "sdformatter" freeware, preferably doing a full overwrite to ensure the card is good before loading the FW. This resets the card to factory specs which not all formatting programs will do. Don't use a MAC for this as their OS sometimes leaves hidden files behind which will cause problems. If the upgrade seems successful, go into the menu and select "default" settings, then power down the cam and restart it putting the settings back to your prteferences then. If that doesn't work then you'll have to hope that Rexing will give you the FW you need.

Personally I rarely upgrade anything I don't really need to, and even then I'll wait till I've heard from several others who have tried the upgrade successfully first. Sometimes they will discover problems, and by me waiting I avoid them until the problems are resolved. It simply works better this way ;)

Phil

Welcome to DCT @usmcmcauliffe :)

Other than sourcing the old FW from Rexing I don't know where you'd get it. And Rexing isn't the best for after-sales support so I don't know if that will be effective but you can try. Otherwise trying the update again might work.

There's a few steps to ensuring best results with FW updates. First is to use a known good sd card of no more than 32GB size set to fat32 format. And the cam needs a robust and stable power source during the process so either use a phone charger rated at at least 1.5A (1500mA) plugged into the wall, or do this in the car with the engine running. Powering via the USB ports on computers or by USB ports built into the car often does not give you enough power so are best avoided. Before loading the FW to the card, format it in a PC using the "sdformatter" freeware, preferably doing a full overwrite to ensure the card is good before loading the FW. This resets the card to factory specs which not all formatting programs will do. Don't use a MAC for this as their OS sometimes leaves hidden files behind which will cause problems. If the upgrade seems successful, go into the menu and select "default" settings, then power down the cam and restart it putting the settings back to your prteferences then. If that doesn't work then you'll have to hope that Rexing will give you the FW you need.

Personally I rarely upgrade anything I don't really need to, and even then I'll wait till I've heard from several others who have tried the upgrade successfully first. Sometimes they will discover problems, and by me waiting I avoid them until the problems are resolved. It simply works better this way ;)

Phil
Good morning Phil!!

Thanks so much for the prompt & very thorough reply!!!!
I went ahead and opened a support case with Rexing and forwarded the question... thanks for the heads up on chances they won't get back to me, but it's worth a shot!

• So I checked, and yes, I am running a SanDisk 64GB "High Endurance" card... & after reading a few posts here, SanDisk is NOT the brand to use.
  • I ordered a Kingston 64GB Canvas Go Plus off Amazon, should be here in a couple days.
  • I do believe I just did the simple "quick format" when I formatted before loading the new FW, so I can repeat the process with a full format.
  • I believe the charging port I'm using is a "Anker Car Charger, Mini 24W 4.8A Metal Dual USB Car Charger", but I'll double check that too.
  • And yes, I'm using my PC workstation with Windows10 Pro as the OS.

I'll check back and let you know the results after trying all this... it'll probably be tomorrow, I've got family stuff most the day today... btw MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks again!!

M McAuliffe

Format the card in the camera, then copy your firmware update to the card, if you formatted the card in the computer the update won't load, needs to be FAT32

Nothing wrong with the card you have either, they're good cards

Agreed on the cards being good- they must be fat32 format to work doing FW changes which Windows will not do. Even then it sometimes works better to use a smaller card for reasons I do not know; I can only say I've seen it with me and others occasionally. I'm not sure if the cam itself will change to card to fat32 by doing an in-cam formatting, some cams which support EXFAT will leave the card that way which is good for recording but not for FW changes. Lots of freeware available to get the cards to fat32 first so I always do that when I'm preparing to do FW work- it just seems to work better for me.

Hope this sorts things out for you and Merry Christmas to you and yours :)
Phil

Evening fellas,
Just following up with the latest... I tried all the suggestions y'all provided, and then followed the ones from Rexing Support (which matched the ones you all provided very closely)... no luck.
It sounds like Rexing is going to try and write up a firmware update and send it to me possibly, and if that doesn't work, to replace the cam... which I'm honestly surprised at that offer, and impressed with their dedication to customer satisfaction.
For the meantime, I've just unplugged the rear cam, and am running the front with no issues.
Screenshot 2021-01-06 170938.png

Evening fellas,
Just following up with the latest... I tried all the suggestions y'all provided, and then followed the ones from Rexing Support (which matched the ones you all provided very closely)... no luck.
It sounds like Rexing is going to try and write up a firmware update and send it to me possibly, and if that doesn't work, to replace the cam... which I'm honestly surprised at that offer, and impressed with their dedication to customer satisfaction.
For the meantime, I've just unplugged the rear cam, and am running the front with no issues.
View attachment 54933
Hi there, any updates or have you figured out how to fix the rear cam problem after updating the firmware? we are in the same boat.

Last edited:
Back