Rexing V1P Max 4k +1080 vs VIOFO A129 Plus Duo (1440p)

markm75

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently rexing has a good deal on the v1p at $189 shipped, but many seem to say the VIOFO is the better way to go in general. Currently the viofo a120 plus duo is $161 on amazon.

Is it still the better bet to go viofo here even though for $20 more you can go 4k in the front?
Actually in looking, i think the rexing v1p at least, is only 24 fps, while the viofo a129 is 1440p at 60 fps. Maybe the rexing v5 4k is at full 30 fps? I would think the 60 fps may still win, so viofo.

I'm mainly interested in wifi app ability, gps and parking mode (hardwire kit). Initially ordered the v1p 3rd gen 1080 dual rexing for $160, but these other options make more sense to me.

Also, for anyone with rexing, do you know if the hardwire (smart version) rexing kit is required if using rexing vs using a generic one with two leads one for parking mode? Actually, same question on the viofo, they seem to have their own hardwire kit, but wondering if any other kit will work just fine, so long as it has both power leads. (i already had one of these on hand)

Thanks in advance

Not many people here with Rexing cameras, so I'm not sure you will get a good answer on that, but I imagine that it has a lower quality chipset if it is only doing 24fps.

Plenty of people here have Viofo and will recommend them, although the Plus model is still quite new so there is limited experience of it. Hasn't stopped it getting into the "Best Dash Cams of 2020" list at the top of the page though.

Actually, same question on the viofo, they seem to have their own hardwire kit, but wondering if any other kit will work just fine, so long as it has both power leads. (i already had one of these on hand)
Their own hardwire kit will enable parking mode based on ignition, also it has decent power output, so is recommended. If you use a generic one and it supplies a good voltage then it should work fine except the parking mode will get enabled based on lack of movement for 5 minutes rather than the key being turned. Could be an issue if you park underground with no GPS signal since it may not realise you have started moving again.

Welcome :)

The Rexing V1P max appears to be true 4K since it is using the 8MP Omnivision OS08A10 CMOS sensor. Video quality appears to be good, but without a side by side comparison with the VIOFO, hard to say which one would be better in different lighting conditions.

You mention WiFi app ability, the Rexing app has one of the lowest ratings when compared to other dash cam apps.

Parking mode is very basic, non-buffered on the Rexing as well.

So if WiFi and Parking mode are important, Rexing does not excel here.

Rexing has improved the quality of their products in the last year or two, but some still have unaddressed issues and none offer great functionality above the basic level. IMHO they are a viable choice for a budget cam now with some models, but they aren't my first choice at all with any of their cams. Not necessarily a bad choice anymore, but not the best choice ;)

My biggest issue with Rexing ATM is that they give out a large number of cams to popular product reviewers, many of who do not specialize in dashcams and are not highly knowledgeable about them. There also seems to be a lot of "refund after a good review" going on. They are not at all alone in this; it is endemic in their market niche :mad: and it often leads to cams getting higher ratings than they should be getting :(

Always look for deeper and longer-term testing from knowledgable people and do product comparisons on your own. Learn what to look for and what to look at and you'll get better results from your choices :cool:

Phil

Thanks for the replies, yeah for now i think i'm sticking with the viofo plus model.

My concern, however, was, that if i run the viofo usb from front to rear (also wondering what length the plus model is, some said with the regular duo it wasnt long enough for longer suv's, in my case 2017 sorento 7 passenger, i think a longer version may be needed).. my concern was if i ran this cable and later switch models up front i'd have to re-run the cable again. The cable that comes with the viofo mentions only using it for certain models. Not sure why thats the case, its just usb?

The other concern on the hardwire up front, if I use the viofo kit, if that will work with other models/brands, i guess technically it should.

Hopefully the night time view from the rear camera will be adequate.

Last edited:
some said with the regular duo it wasnt long enough for longer suv's, in my case 2017 sorento 7 passenger
You will probably have to go through the roof, not down to the floor first. There may be a longer cable available, but I think the Plus cable is different to the older model.

The other concern on the hardwire up front, if I use the viofo kit, if that will work with other models/brands, i guess technically it should.
If they are mini USB, although the parking mode may not operate correctly.

Hopefully the night time view from the rear camera will be adequate.
It is very good at night, although it does need some light, you won't see much on a dark country road.

The HWK should work with most other cams, but some do things differently. This the most common type and is more robust for power than most so good chances it will meet your future needs. I'm not sure about the rear cam cable but I do know that not just any USB cable will work here so measure carefully where you plan to run it and check what Viofo has or can supply. Whatever he says is maximum length take it to heart, there is loss in length and only so far that you can go before the rear cam signal becomes unusable. Also look into the parking mode options with Viofo; there are some issues with some of them.

Overall I think the A129 Duo Plus is a good cam but it's not perfect- no cam is. The market is ever-changing and there's always something else coming along which might change my mind on what to reciommend but this one won't become outdated tomorrow. Always do your own research, always ask questions because only you can decide what's going to best fit your needs.

Phil

I never tried the v129 after I lost confidence with my v119 where I had to reflash boot file and firmware every few months cause it just did not wanted to start not to mention cutting off and corrupting files. Not sure if it was build quality or other hardware issue. Never the less after going to Rexing v1 pro I never had any problems with it and it works every time I start my car for last couple of years.

Back