Ring Car Cam Review

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
The past few weeks I've been testing out the new dashcam from Ring. This one sounds good on paper, but IMO it's pretty bad in practice.

Here's my full test and review including installation, video quality, parking recording features, lots of discussion about Ring's cloud service, privacy concerns, video encryption, and more.

Thanks for the review. It seems that companies creating dash cameras forget what the main purpose of these devices! Which is to access the footage in a pinch. No need for internet connection, no need for a login user name and a password, just a quick "Here you go officer, this is the footage".
Instead these companies are creating gimmicky and not reliable features and that's what their marketing is all about.

The Ring Car Cam is doing a fantastic job of exposing all of the low-integrity paid shill YouTube product reviewers.

Anyone w/ an ounce of credibility & integrity can see that this product is an overpriced POS.

The Ring Car Cam is doing a fantastic job of exposing all of the low-integrity paid shill YouTube product reviewers.

Anyone w/ an ounce of credibility & integrity can see that this product is an overpriced POS.
So I mean this with no disrespect to any fellow YouTuber, but I wonder how many of them are innocently ignorant. I mean if you’re not super into dashcams, you can easily be like “Hey it’s easy to install, it works with the Ring app, and it record when I drive and park. Yay!”

I have a client in the USA looking for a way to hookup a powercell to this unit. I tried building a hardwire cord for this but it did not work and the OBD2 plug has some kind of protection in it. I hooked up pin 4 and 16 to ground and constant power and we tried plugging it into cigarette lighter but for some reason it instantly went into protect. Either way not a fan of this unit. But if anyone has a solution would be interested in hearing about it.

Back