Road rage brake check

V3x3d1

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm seeking out for some honest opinions on a recent road rage that had experienced.

Things appear rather abrupt, and it's hard to determine what happened. - - How about if you give some narrative about what happened before, during and after the incident? That would help in giving an opinion.

As it stands, it looks like someone abruptly entered the road from the shoulder of the road. It appears your car also entered the roadway from off-road/shoulder at the same time. And then the first car stopped in the middle of the road and the driver got out of his car...

It may have been helpful if you provided 60 seconds of video, 20 seconds before and 25 second after...

Last edited:
Reminds me of a work colleague who had similar.

As his company car had been giving him grief anyway he took the opportunity of slamming into the car in front. When he explained to the brake tester "Don't worry, company car, I'll get a new replacement tomorrow" the brake tester was clearly upset :D

Reminds me of a work colleague who had similar.

As his company car had been giving him grief anyway he took the opportunity of slamming into the car in front. When he explained to the brake tester "Don't worry, company car, I'll get a new replacement tomorrow" the brake tester was clearly upset :D
In response to someone on another thread, I mentioned there are nutty drivers everywhere! And funny enough, I was thinking to myself "What is one of the stupidest things I see drivers do all the time when driving?" - - Two minutes later, I came upon this thread.

By far the biggest, dumbest thing I see drivers do is driving far too close to the car in front of them. I would say 75 to 85% of drivers are guilty of this. They drive like sheep as though they were in a parade!

And what happens when someone has to stop suddenly? The "dumb drivers" that are driving too close can't stop and there's a big wreck! And I would suspect the person getting rear-ended gets hurt more than the person who rear ended them.

It will be interesting to get additional information about this incident from the original poster.

Last edited:
Sorry for not clarifying further. I suppose i was seeking an unbiased opinion.

The area that this had transpired occurred in an unmarked road way. Regardless, minimal room was provided on the right shoulder due to derby and other road hazards left from the winter season that the city has yet to clean up.
I wasn't really expecting the individual to really squeeze themselves into this area as it did appear that they had pulled off onto the shoulder an stop for whatever reason. Prior to this the individual was driving at a very slow rate of speed 20 KM/H (12.5 MP/H). It was safe for me to shift to the left and then signal to the right was I had passed their car. Upon entering the main road which was 70 KM/H (44.5 MP/H), I was expecting them to pick up the rate of speed once they had made the right hand turn. As seen in the video, they had decided to drive on the middle of the one lane road and proceeded to apply a hard brake for no reason.

This is the content after the incident. We had returned from the area from the turn we just made.
I don't have much content leading up to the accident as my dashcam has set intervals that it records. The last clip i was able to get was from like a few meter back which doesn't provide much. Though if necessary I could upload that as well.

Thanks for the additional footage, and wow... now I'm even more confused! Did the guy exchange words with you and then ask you to follow him back to the sidestreet? I personally would not follow anyone anywhere.

It sounds like the other driver is a nutjob and you "always" have to be careful of them!

I always leave plenty of room between me and the car in front of me when driving. If the car is driving too slow, I'll merely pass him when it's safe to do... even if it's technically not legal to pass. But that would seldom ever happen.

I hope you were able to get out of that situation safely!

Edit: Near the end of your last post, you mention "accident". Did you end-up hitting the guy? - - If so, I believe the other driver could be charged with "brake-checking" and "maybe" held responsible for the accident. Unless he makes a frivolous claim like "A dog/cat or person entered the road in front of him and he had to stop quickly."

I don't know if your video footage shows the area in front of his car before he braked. - - Just another great reason to have a good dashcam!

Last edited:
Here they won't entertain reports if you don't have 3 minutes+ before the event.

It looks like either insurance fraud or brake checking. They must have made contact because I don't see any other reason for OP to follow the guy.

It looks like either insurance fraud or brake checking. They must have made contact because I don't see any other reason for OP to follow the guy.
Even though the dashcam footage makes it appear that he did not hit the other car, I'm assuming he did hit the car which obviously implemented a brake-check. The front car could/should be held liable for repairing the damages to both cars!

I don't know how the rules apply where the accident occurred there in Canada. But, I'd claim BS/insurance fraud if it happened to me. And luckily, the original poster has dashcam footage to prove it! - Once again, another great reason to have a dashcam because otherwise it's one guy's word against another's.

Never heard of a dashcam recording "at set intervals" as the OP describes- wondering which cam this is and why anyone would set one up like that when driving is continuous?

Road rage and brake check are usually the aftermath of some previous event, so it's as important to be able to show everything from when them and you first got near to each other up to the incident itself. I went through a similar event not too long ago and was very glad to have footige showing I never drove agressively, never followed too closely, and never provoked them in any way. My care prevented a crash but I've got the continuous vids archived as I drive that area frequently and have seen that car a few times since then. Maybe they finally saw all my cams- I don't know- but they won't get near me now and I'm happy with that.

Phil

Thank you everyone for their opinion/suggesting.
I'll try to upload the additional video once I get the chance.
As for the previous event, there's isn't much as I didn't attempt to aggravate them or have any communication with them. I even followed within a distance and had it resulted to this out of the blue.
I do believe this is an instance of insurance fraud, though I don't know really know how to go about with this as insurances in Canada just claim you at fault if a rear-end collision occurs.
In regards to the set intervals, the dash cam has a set amount of data it can store. I believe it can be configured in a priority sense(Parking incident, Continuous Incident, Continuous(time-lapse)).
You can then set it per percentage to have it recorded.

Thank you everyone for their opinion/suggesting.
I'll try to upload the additional video once I get the chance.
As for the previous event, there's isn't much as I didn't attempt to aggravate them or have any communication with them. I even followed within a distance and had it resulted to this out of the blue.
I do believe this is an instance of insurance fraud, though I don't know really know how to go about with this as insurances in Canada just claim you at fault if a rear-end collision occurs.
In regards to the set intervals, the dash cam has a set amount of data it can store. I believe it can be configured in a priority sense(Parking incident, Continuous Incident, Continuous(time-lapse)).
You can then set it per percentage to have it recorded.
If you feel like pursuing a claim, you should call what is equivalent to the "Insurance Commissioner's Office"where you live. Tell them fraud was involved in the accident and that you have "video proof".

I'm sure this would not be the first time their office processed such a claim. And I'm also sure the low-life who set you up for the accident didn't realize you were videotaping the entire event.

However, if being at fault doesn't result in any financial repurcussions to you, you may as well just move-on. - - Whatever you decide, good luck!

I'm seeking out for some honest opinions on a recent road rage that had experienced.

Turn the complete video over to your insurance company. Let them handle the logistics. They might be able to argue this guy intentionally caused an accident and get you off the hook. Thereby, allowing you to pursue your own claim for damage / injuries. This isn't something you're going to be able to resolve without assistance, and insurance companies have lawyers that handle these cases every day.

FYI: Never smart to engage someone in road rage.

Back