Road rage in CA.

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
MC kick car and the car start to lose control and hit other cars.
MC flee the scene.

Just WOW!! After the MC kicked the car, the car deliberately swerved towards the bike and lost control, and while the whole thing could have been avoided with a few deep breaths, the driver shouldn't have lost control of his car

I just saw this on TV2 news

lack of indicator probably"

Kinda of monotone, unexcited, unemotional "Call 911", like you see this kind of thing every day.

Hit the news here too. They are looking for the motorcycle. I would like to see the minute of video before this.

There was almost certainly something dangerous and illegal that car driver did to piss off the rider that much. One does not pick what could easily be a lethal fight with an opponent who will guaranteed win that fight anytime they so choose to.

That driver attempted to use their car to kill or seriously harm somebody who was apparently not threatening their life

Stop looking for the biker and hang the car driver by the neck till they are dead.

Those who ride or have ridden will understand me. Rant over.
Phil

fleeing the scene of an accident (or purposemento_O) you are involved in regardless of fault is a Felony in most states. In Texas its Called Failing to Stop and Render Aid!

There was almost certainly something dangerous and illegal that car driver did to piss off the rider that much. One does not pick what could easily be a lethal fight with an opponent who will guaranteed win that fight anytime they so choose to.

That driver attempted to use their car to kill or seriously harm somebody who was apparently not threatening their life

Stop looking for the biker and hang the car driver by the neck till they are dead.

Those who ride or have ridden will understand me. Rant over.
Phil
Good quote, no thought went into it though, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO STARTED IT OR WHY, it could well have been the biker that started it all no one here knows, what everyone does know is physics you kick a much heavier object you will push yourself away from it that's fact biker nearly took himself off without any help, nice to see he didn't stop wasn't it ?
So maybe there is a lot we don't know about preceeding events as you alude to can't really apportion blame in this one

Sorry, got to disagree with some of you. Do not underestimate the reflex action when someone attacks you. Especially when you are already agitated by earlier events. And don't underestimate the arrogance and hostility of someone who is indignant because someone else simply exercised their right of way rather than sacrifice their interests for others.

I recently posted a video of a moped rider who tried to overtake me on the approach to the Rotherhithe Tunnel. He failed because there was a 6 foot 6 width restriction. Simply no room for him to get through. He had no reason to be trying, and I had no reason to stop to let him go through. Yet he tried to get past. And when he failed he got angry, went through the tunnel on the wrong side of the solid line in the oncoming lane so he could whack my mirror forward, hoping to break it. Luckily it flexes forward as well as back (something I wasn't even aware of myself.)

He continued in the oncoming lane, going past me and the vehicle in front before managing to pull in. Despite there being a bend so he couldn't see if anything was approaching. He pulled in just before being hit by oncoming traffic, purely by luck.

And this is relevant because when he hit my mirror there was a reflex reaction and I steered towards him slightly. Which is why I faded the video out at that point. I know damn well how it looks, and I'm not proud of it, but it wasn't a conscious action.

Edit> I've rechecked the video. The moped rider went past not one but two vehicles in front of me, even though by that time there was a queue of oncoming traffic - who had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting this fool on the wrong side of the narrow road.
DK54OSV$.jpg

Last edited:
There is a requisite level of danger you must be experiencing before you are allowed to respond with potentially lethal force. The biker would have had to have threatened the car with a weapon to meet that level of expectation. A traffic maneuver would not have been enough since a car versus bike crash almost always goes heavily in favor of the car. Do note well where I used the word "apparent" since such a threat wasn't shown and also where I spoke of a prior event almost certainly leading to this.

As I said, neither one was smart here, but leaving the scene of an accident is small change compared to assault and battery with intent to kill which is what the driver would be charged with here in SC. Without all the rest of the details we will never know the full truth, but from what we do know the car driver has positively and clearly committed a very serious crime, yet the focus seems to be totally ignoring this while seeking the guy who sensibly escaped that danger and possibly committed a non-violemt crime in that process.

WTF is this world coming to when the people and the government think like this? :oops:
Phil

The biker didn't just commit a bad traffic manoeuvre and leave the scene. He started a fight. He kicked the car door. Either one of them may have done more earlier.

WTF is the world coming to when people think they can start a fight without expecting retaliation? Being vulnerable doesn't justify that, it just makes it even more stupid.

Of course the driver would be in serious trouble if he was attacking the biker deliberately. But as I've pointed out, it might have been instinct.

But as more and more bikers are doing this crap, more drivers will stop letting it slide. You can't - shouldn't - expect them to just take it lying down.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Regardless of who started and why, car driver can be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter.
You cannot use deadly weapon (car) unless your life is in danger.
Do that to a motorcycle cop and he is justified to shoot the driver. At least in US.

To me it looks that this is not a dashcam video, meaning there was something happening before because that person took phone camera in hand and started filming.

Yup, just because you're the little guy/bike/car, doesn't automatically give you a free pass at the rest of the world. I'm not making excuses for the driver either, but the instinctual reaction is plausible, especially if there is the surprise of something making contact with the vehicle. There is a natural tendency to turn to look in the direction of the event and depending on the driver's skill level, this sometimes can translate to a tendency to turn the wheel in the same direction. You see this all the time, where the police is on the side of the road with emergency lights on and a seemingly normal driver almost clips or actually crashes into the patrol car even though they were looking directly at it. In this case one hand may have even slipped off the wheel resulting in the sudden movement, we'll never know, but what we do know is that the kick initiated / escalated the final chain of events and the biker, which I'm sure was well aware of the aftermath, chose to flee the scene of a major incident that he was a direct contributor to. That gives him no leeway to justify his actions nor shift any more blame to the car driver than he already deserves.

KuoH

The biker didn't just commit a bad traffic manoeuvre and leave the scene. He started a fight. He kicked the car door. Either one of them may have done more earlier.

WTF is the world coming to when people think they can start a fight without expecting retaliation? Being vulnerable doesn't justify that, it just makes it even more stupid.

Of course the driver would be in serious trouble if he was attacking the biker deliberately. But as I've pointed out, it might have been instinct.

This is a shortened version of the video I saw the other day, but now I can't find that video. The one I saw started out showing the car crossing the double-double yellow (major no-no) towards the bike. The car was not already in the hov lane. Bike started to move over to avoid being hit by the car, but car kept coming over, and that's when the biker kicked the car. Not too bright, but probably just reflex self defense, IMHO.

Not too dissimilar to my recent experience actually: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ford-taurus-tries-to-run-me-into-the-barrier.29074/

In mine, my swerve to the left was absolutely a reflex action. I wasn't trying to pit him, I was reacting to a crash i expected was about to happen, so I steered left to counter the hit. Thankfully I have actual racing experience (not wheel-to-wheel), so I knew better than to lift off the gas while swerving like that, so I didn't lose control of my SUV. Another thing to keep in mind for my video - the camera is mounted up high behind the mirror. In my normal driving position, I can't see the hood of my car at all unless I lean forward about a foot. No, I don't drive leaned way back. The RAV4 has a high roof, and thus tons of head room. I'm also not super tall - only 5' 9".

And i agree with the biker's choice to run - if someone tries to kill me I'm sure as hell not sticking around to let them try and finish the job!

All that said, it would still be interesting to see what led up to this, or if like mine, it was just completely unprovoked road rage by the little Nissan.

Last edited:
Regardless of who started and why, car driver can be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter.
You cannot use deadly weapon (car) unless your life is in danger.
Do that to a motorcycle cop and he is justified to shoot the driver. At least in US.
You're killing your own argument, maybe prior to the video the car driver WAS threatened maybe biker pointed a gun at his head and he feared for his life expecting another attack and tried to defend himself, he then presumably wouldn't be charged, in this great country if someone points a gun at you but in a struggle the gun goes off and mugger gets killed you get done for murder/manslaughter if you use a gun in a farmhouse to defend yourself against intruders, even AFTER giving a warning and shoot intruder you go inside the big house too, just ask tony martin aka killer farmer

You're killing your own argument, maybe prior to the video the car driver WAS threatened maybe biker pointed a gun at his head and he feared for his life expecting another attack and tried to defend himself, he then presumably wouldn't be charged, in this great country if someone points a gun at you but in a struggle the gun goes off and mugger gets killed you get done for murder/manslaughter if you use a gun in a farmhouse to defend yourself against intruders, even AFTER giving a warning and shoot intruder you go inside the big house too, just ask tony martin aka killer farmer
I don't think so that he threatened with a gun just to kick and risk his balance.
But if that's the case, that would be okay at the time of threat, not when he kicks.
Think little bit before hammering the keyboard.

Regardless of the reason for the driver's swerve toward the bike, that does not absolve the driver from the responsibility of turning their car into a potentially lethal weapon when it was neither necessary or called for. The driver could and should have maneuvered away from the bike from the moment when a problem with them became apparent as the safest choice for them and everyone else on the road. Same as with a loaded gun you are always responsible for what happens with your car when it is in your possession and control as either can do nothing on it's own except rust away to nothing. An unintended or legally incorrect maneuver is a mistake we've all made or will make because we're human but that does not make it excusable :(

My main point here is that there was no mention of the driver's errors and of the gravity of them, only a call to find the biker as if that was the big problem here when it apparently isn't. A totally screwed up way of thinking which goes a long way toward showing why we've got a totally screwed up world including what happens on it's roads.

How you think will direct and control what you see and think, so until you get the "how" correct, it is highly unlikely that anything following it will be correct either ;)
Phil

Back