Roll over crash caught on rear camera

Mr_roadside616

Reaction score
Country
United States
So caught this video the other week on my Transcend DrivePro 520. there is language at the end so it might be NSFW. I did go and check on the driver and i have a feeling he may have been ejected from the vehicle cause he was already half way up the hill when i got to him and his windows were crushed (enough where no one could crawl out) The guy had some head injuries and a major injury to his hand.

Any idea what caused it?

... and potentially poor condition tyres (sorry... "tires" :D)

That is a bad spot for your fire extinguisher. Hard braking or an accident, that becomes a missile to the back of your melon.

Last edited:
That is a bad spot for your fire extinguisher. Hard braking or an accident, that becomes a missile to the back of your melon. Not sure if that strobe light mounted inside is legal either unless you have an exterior one mounted first.
The flashing amber light you are referencing is actually legal for i do Roadside Assistance and have emergency flashers all over my vehicle. I'm also not really concerned about the extinguisher in the back.

Like flank said, that's a really bad spot for your fire extinguisher. From what I could see from the angle of the camera it doesn't appear to be securely located and could cause some serious damage to you and any other occupant. :eek:

Any idea what caused it?
looks like classic trailbraking or lift-throttle oversteer. even if you have good tires, if you're going too fast when you brake in a turn (esp in the rain), the back end will come around.

when i raced in my camry, i would often trailbrake on purpose (and often using my left foot while i was still giving it some gas) to get the rear end to come around a little, since the car wanted to plow a lot. the trailbraking made it feel more nimble and actually made it possible to make it through some elements at much higher speed than it would otherwise.

looks like classic trailbraking or lift-throttle oversteer. even if you have good tires, if you're going too fast when you brake in a turn (esp in the rain), the back end will come around.

when i raced in my camry, i would often trailbrake on purpose (and often using my left foot while i was still giving it some gas) to get the rear end to come around a little, since the car wanted to plow a lot. the trailbraking made it feel more nimble and actually made it possible to make it through some elements at much higher speed than it would otherwise.
So basically, while entering the turn, he lifted off the throttle and his weight transferred to the front causing the rear to become lighter, then braked which caused the rear end to keep going forward and ahead of the direction he was turning?

I'm reminded of the phrase "I've never been in an accident, but I've seen plenty happen right behind me." :D
(No criticism of OP intended, just to be clear.)
It sort of looks like the other driver didn't see the bend in time and started steering way too late. Hope he is doing OK.

So basically, while entering the turn, he lifted off the throttle and his weight transferred to the front causing the rear to become lighter, then braked which caused the rear end to keep going forward and ahead of the direction he was turning?
Pretty much. Braking just makes the weight transfer even more severe than simply lifting off the throttle. Since that car is front engine, front drive, that meant there was now almost zero weight on the rear, so nothing to press the tires down and provide traction. Less traction also means the rear brakes lock up easier, and that just makes the car even MORE likely to spin.

Appears to be going the same speed as the OP, and the OP doesn't appear to brake at all, or to be going particularly fast.

There did seem to be a bit of a bump in the camera car at the point the crashed car lost the back.

Maybe driving in the wet with no tread on the tyres.

We don't know what happened. The driver could have fallen asleep going into the turn and then woke up only to over correct for the turn. We just don't know.

What we do know is that our driver pulled over to offer assistance. Good job 616! Many would have gone on their marry way, had dinner, gone to bed and never gave it a second thought.

We don't know what happened. The driver could have fallen asleep going into the turn and then woke up only to over correct for the turn. We just don't know.

What we do know is that our driver pulled over to offer assistance. Good job 616! Many would have gone on their marry way, had dinner, gone to bed and never gave it a second thought.
+1

Back