Routinely checking video footage? (making sure it works)

David-ogopogodude

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When one does not have a LCD screen-model dash system (by choice) I would think that it would be much more important to check footage from time to time.

I must say, that I do not do this.... I would like to think of checking video footage as flossing one's teeth.

I was told that one has to replace the memory card of one's car dash cam or re-format it from time to time, in order to ensure that it is recording daily.

There are those individuals that do this all the time as routine. Having a good computer and the knowledge on how to efficiently use the program that is associated with the car dash cam is obviously the key to success.

Can those car dash persons that "floss regularly" come forward and share their story of what works for them?

the screen doesn't necessarily tell you things are working (or not), the memory card is the weak point in any camera so checking your recordings at some sort of regular interval is always good practice, screen or not

When I had a micro SD card fail, the camera (Cobra 820*) gave a persistent beep and displayed a message on its screen.

* The cam eventually showed possible overheating, or software-freeze, or battery issues (complex issues with no definite pattern) so I returned it a few months later.
But at least it told me when it, or the sd card, wasn't working by either a message on the screen and/or changing the colour of its LED - flashing red when recording, static yellow-green when not working properly, red alternating with yellow-green when charging and recording at the same time.

For balance, I should add that the 820's bigger, GPS-equipped brother, the 840, has been working just fine.

i have a mobius (with a capacitor) and i check the video files every week (at least)

the screen doesn't necessarily tell you things are working (or not), the memory card is the weak point in any camera so checking your recordings at some sort of regular interval is always good practice, screen or not

There's usually so much bad driving around here that I have something worth saving every week, so the card gets a quick check to see if it recorded properly.

But from experience of lots of dash cam reliability issues, it'll always be a case of me running two front cams for when - not if - one fails (could be camera failure, card failure, power cord failure or user error).

So, after a hard, long week of work, .. and it is, say, early Saturday morning with a coffee in your hand, you go to your car's dash cam, remove the memory card, then go back inside to your house, and sit down at your computer, ... then what?

(I am being totally serious, ... I have a FineVu500 HD installed 2-3 years ago and I have yet to check video content, ... because I don't know how. I have Apple computers --iMac-- but I understand that FineVu is PC only-usable),

not aware of FineVu using any sort of esoteric file format, you should be able to view the video files with a Mac, if it has been 3 years that would be quite a long time for the memory card to still be working

So, after a hard, long week of work, .. and it is, say, early Saturday morning with a coffee in your hand, you go to your car's dash cam, remove the memory card, then go back inside to your house, and sit down at your computer, ... then what?

(I am being totally serious, ... I have a FineVu500 HD installed 2-3 years ago and I have yet to check video content, ... because I don't know how. I have Apple computers --iMac-- but I understand that FineVu is PC only-usable),

I think you're being very trusting of the reliability.
If your cam had a screen you could watch video on that and scroll through the dates and times shown for everything it recorded and pick a few random files.

Would it hurt to try your sd card in your computer to see if you can watch the video? My Cobra cam won't play its video in Quicktime player but my Mio Mivue and Transcend will.

...go to your car's dash cam, remove the memory card, then go back inside to your house, and sit down at your computer, ... then what?

If you have an Android phone, insert the MicroSD card from the dashcam, & view the files using an App like MX Player. No need to get out of the car to sample check the files.

If you have an Android phone, insert the MicroSD card from the dashcam, & view the files using an App like MX Player. No need to get out of the car to sample check the files.
This is what I do if I'm being lazy - takes all of about 5 minutes to check the 4 cards in both vehicles.

I have a Mobius and I either remove the dash cam from the mount, which is why I bought a mount where I can just pinch and pull it out OR I just grab my laptop and cord and go sit in the car for a few minutes.

I've actually been thinking of getting a Tablet or inexpensive laptop to take with me in the car. I have a 32GB card and with the amount I drive I get about 2-3 days worth of videos before they start to record over each other. I also see minor stuff I'd want to save daily - Illegal passing, going down the wrong way, texting while driving etc. I think I'd be more likely to view it and pull it if I could do it at my next stop.

i have a mobius (with a capacitor) and i check the video files every week (at least)

There's usually so much bad driving around here that I have something worth saving every week
You're all crazy, by my standards!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
A week? I don't think I could live without taking the card out of the camera and emptying it every day!!! :D

That's dedication!

Yup, I've been doing that since day 1 of getting my dashcam, probably over 10 years ago. Some people feel that they will never need the footage unless they were involved in an incident that day. However, there is always a chance that you can be summoned for something days if not weeks after the event and it would be nice to have the footage to support yourself in that case. Hard drives are cheap nowadays and I use Free Filesync to automatically merge the new files to the archive.

KuoH

A week? I don't think I could live without taking the card out of the camera and emptying it every day!!! :D

I guess it wont be long before some people start wearing body cams in case someone bumps into them while they are out shopping. Never know when you might need evidence for an assault complaint.

And right on cue.....another piece of dashcam footage (aftermath of major accident) captured this afternoon, giving me the opportunity to check the micro sd cards are working.
There's quite a lot going on in the two 20-second clips and worth watching a few times, including slow-motion. One lorry lost its cab. One lorry up on the bank lost its load. One possibly jacknifed behind them.

Front cam:

Rear cam:

Anyway.....both cams normal and functioning.

-

OMG... I gotta get my s*** together and start taking out my memory card and somehow figure out how to view it on my iMac...

(awwww man, .. I love my FineVu 500HD but I do not know how to view the vid content)

Last edited:
When anything interesting happens I hit the 'save' button (flags files as read only).
I take the memory card to my PC and review those files. Mostly I just remove file protection. Anything good gets copied.
Some good came of it yesterday. I had turned off sound recording by mistake. I would never have realised if I hadn't been reviewing recordings.

Has anyone tried to pull video files from a Mobius using a tablet? I'm thinking that a tablet running windows should work, but I don't have a tablet to test it out with.

Has anyone tried to pull video files from a Mobius using a tablet? I'm thinking that a tablet running windows should work, but I don't have a tablet to test it out with.
I have an HP Stream 7 inch with Windows 8.1. I have no problems accessing my Mobius. I mainly use it to access msetup and to format the card. If anyone decides to get this tablet you also need to have an OTG connector.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Omega-TI Dash Cam Discussion 5
Back