rule of thumb for dash cam lens angle: dash vs. windshield

vortigos

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried searching on here, but couldn't find the info from last time I was on the forum. What's the general rule of thumb for how much of the dashboard vs. windshield should appear on your recorded image when setting up your dash cam for the first time? I have an A119. So adjusting the angle shouldn't be too much of an issue. Is there a rule of thumb for where the horizon should be?

40% above horizon and 60% below, meaning you will also see a lot of dashbord and hood of your car in the footage.

But thats a lot better than seeing a lot of sky, cuz face it you will never get that capture of the Klingons landing or that meteor blasting by.

This is just a general rule of thumb, many newer cameras can handle a 50/50 split as they have better hardware WDR and better coded firmware.

I tried searching on here, but couldn't find the info from last time I was on the forum. What's the general rule of thumb for how much of the dashboard vs. windshield should appear on your recorded image when setting up your dash cam for the first time? I have an A119. So adjusting the angle shouldn't be too much of an issue. Is there a rule of thumb for where the horizon should be?
You want about 60% road/hood/dashboard and 40% sky. Too much sky can mess with the exposure.

Yeah too much sky and sometimes you might be okay, but, when the going gets tough it can cause trouble. See these two snapshots of mine just 6 minutes apart from each other on different roads.

vlcsnap-2017-03-02-20h27m03s242.png vlcsnap-2017-03-02-20h27m32s299.png

The mount I'm currently using is rather limited in what I can do with it on my cars windscreen so this is the best angle I can do. A new mount is in the post somewhere on route to me. :)

Back