Run into a dead-end trying to wire rear cam 2018 Honda Accord

Damn Dirty Ape

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, after 3 hours I can find absolutely no way to wire the rear camera on this dashcam setup in a 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0t 4 door without getting in the potential way of a potentially-deploying airbag.

It has side curtain airbags that deploy in an arc from slightly behind the rear passenger's head to pretty much most the way down the A-pillar.

I can't find a way to get either length wire from the rear to the front cam. Going the lower route is blocked too by one piece plastics and gaps so tight...

See this video::

The cable should be fed behind the airbags, there is usually a gap in the back. (don't route in front of them)
It's best to have a pro help install since they are experts at removing trim etc.

The cable should be fed behind the airbags, there is usually a gap in the back. (don't route in front of them)
It's best to have a pro help install since they are experts at removing trim etc.

Where would someone find such a 'pro'? We live in a rather rural area sadly enough.

Where would someone find such a 'pro'? We live in a rather rural area sadly enough.

I would use Yelp to locate a Car Audio installer. (or even Best Buy can handle it)

At least you can use the Front camera stand alone for now until you're able to get to a pro installation facility.

I would use Yelp to locate a Car Audio installer. (or even Best Buy can handle it)

At least you can use the Front camera stand alone for now until you're able to get to a pro installation facility.

I've been running it for a while just the front for now so I'll try to see what I can locate. Thanks

another option - if you have a sunroof it actually becomes very easy to route it to the back. the trim around the edge of the sunroof opening is usually just a U-shaped gasket that's pressed into place, and you can easily slide it off and back on. slide it off, and now you have an easy to access gap where you can route the wire from the front unit, around inside the headliner, and use a metal coat hanger to push the wire towards the rear. just do it from the side of the sunroof opening so that it won't be in the way of the actual glass or shade movement once everything's back together. this will be guaranteed to be on the "safe" side of the curtain airbags, and has an added benefit of leaving you lots of extra slack in the cable since it's the most direct route. should be pretty easy to do in a sedan. i did it this way in my SUV - i just had to use a fish tape since a regular coat hanger wasn't long enough.

another option - if you have a sunroof it actually becomes very easy to route it to the back. the trim around the edge of the sunroof opening is usually just a U-shaped gasket that's pressed into place, and you can easily slide it off and back on. slide it off, and now you have an easy to access gap where you can route the wire from the front unit, around inside the headliner, and use a metal coat hanger to push the wire towards the rear. just do it from the side of the sunroof opening so that it won't be in the way of the actual glass or shade movement once everything's back together. this will be guaranteed to be on the "safe" side of the curtain airbags, and has an added benefit of leaving you lots of extra slack in the cable since it's the most direct route. should be pretty easy to do in a sedan. i did it this way in my SUV - i just had to use a fish tape since a regular coat hanger wasn't long enough.

Thanks for this idea. I'm thinking maybe some foam wrap for the wire so I don't get a rattle somewhere overhead. I'm going to look into it more this weekend if it will stop raining.

Thanks for this idea. I'm thinking maybe some foam wrap for the wire so I don't get a rattle somewhere overhead. I'm going to look into it more this weekend if it will stop raining.
Most head liners already have jute and other materials for noise insulation since the roof gets a lot of wind noise. Sometimes the coat hanger will snag on it, so don't force it, just try to work around it. There are also metal cross braces to give the roof strength against the weight of snow, and crash protection.

Source: I used to install DVD players and other electronics for a living.

Did you ever have any luck with getting the rear cam installed. I was about to buy it today but remembered this thread.

I didnt see anywhere on the driveaccord where people had input on their rear wiring.

@jokiin Im also wondering how visibility will be with dark tint on the rear, will the cam still hold up its end on great video quality?

I ran the wire along the bottom run; not the top. Used the longer wire that was in the kit. I did still have to remove the A pillar to get the wire behind the air bag going down to the kickpanel area. From there it was easy to run along the bottom, and up behind the C pillar and over to the center of the window. I have 30% tint and cannot even tell it is there in the video. I'm sure I could see a bit of a difference if it were not there but it seems fine even at night.

Any other questions please just let me know.

@jokiin Im also wondering how visibility will be with dark tint on the rear, will the cam still hold up its end on great video quality?

we have independent EV adjustment for each camera if you feel the need to tweak the settings to suit your needs, just about every car here has tinted windows so it was something we added a while ago

we have independent EV adjustment for each camera if you feel the need to tweak the settings to suit your needs, just about every car here has tinted windows so it was something we added a while ago

Ok cool wasnt sure if the rear cam had adjustments like the front does.

Im still trying to convince myself on picking up the dual (because i already have the sg9665gc)

Yes giving is cool, the big problem is if there are one in your life thats worth it.

Due to repeated mechanical issues Honda has repurchased my problem vehicle so I no longer have it. Now I need to investigate how to wire a 2018 Subaru Outback.

Only problem there is if you choose to mount the rear camera on the rear hatch or at the back end of the headliner. If possible I suggest headliner because then you don't need to worry about the cable needing to move along with the hatch. It's possible, just nowhere near as easy. Search here for a post by me about installing a cf-100 camera in a Toyota sienna. Should be similar to your new wagon in terms of routing wires into the rear hatch.

Due to repeated mechanical issues Honda has repurchased my problem vehicle so I no longer have it. Now I need to investigate how to wire a 2018 Subaru Outback.

From Accord to Outback huh

What was happening with the car?

Back