RunCam 2

RunCam2 unboxing

Menus / Settings

RunCam 2 1080p 60fps

Looks promising. I may have missed it when viewing the videos, but does it offer basic dashcam functionality in terms of auto record on/off when external power is switched on/off?

The quick battery access & micro SD card security is welcome, but is a capacitor kit option likely?

The RunCam is interesting and looks promising, however it appears to be a product of Camera2000, the company behind www.securitycam2000.com. They have an interesting website and are an eBay seller that offers a huge array of CCTV and surveillance camera equipment. Some of what they offer is highly unique and otherwise hard to find such as vehicle DVRs, for example. They have quite a lot of cool stuff and I have been a customer a few times but I cannot recommend them and will no longer do business with them. On one occasion I received a faulty product and they tried to convince me that it was something I should live with and/or try to repair myself. They only replaced the item reluctantly after I explained that even if I could get the product functioning properly I would not be able to make it waterproof and use it outdoors like it was designed for. On another occasion I had extensive email correspondence with one of their sales representatives who assured me that the expensive CCTV camera I was interested in had a specific feature that I required and would not be able to use the camera unless it had that capability. When the camera arrived I discovered that I had been lied to and the camera lacked the specified feature but it was too expensive to ship the thing back to Hong Kong, so it sits in the closet unused.

In any event, here is the official RunCam website. There is no specific mention of any dash cam functionality but the camera does appear to feature loop recording and time lapse. There are some complaints that the certain aspects of configuration and firmware installation for this camera can be unnecessarily cumbersome.

runcam.png

Last edited:
In any event, here is the official RunCam website. There is no specific mention of any dash cam functionality but the camera does appear to feature loop recording and time lapse. There are some complaints that the certain aspects of configuration and firmware installation for this camera can be unnecessarily cumbersome.

View attachment 18767
Says you can have loop recording off, 1min, 3min,5min (at 1:46). Presumably, switching off means it'll just fill the card then stop otherwise it'll get to the end then record over the clips at the start?
At 2:00 it shows you can switch Auto recording off or on (starts recording when power applied)
Power saving - off, 1, 3 or 5mins - it shuts off if there is no activity within that time (presumably reliant on adequate battery power remaining)

With 1080p 60fps it's not looking too shabby as a front cam, with the WiFi deal it's promising as a rear cam.

Another video on YT reckons this cam is even cheaper ($54) than a Mobius ($89) and shows comparison footage...

Sounds promising that it apparently can be used as a dash cam but I wish it came in black rather than silver for the stealth aspect.

The runcam hd1 is been there for around a year now,as same hardware as mobius.I am surprised that not many knew here about their mobius like camera.

This new camera runcam hd2 is yet to be priced.

All that seems to be proven here is ..

someone likes to do comparison videos with an out of focus badly set up Mobius to push their product...

All that seems to be proven here is ..

someone likes to do comparison videos with an out of focus badly set up Mobius to push their product...
TBH, I thought my eyes were decieving me. The footage from the mobius looked somewhat 'rough' on the grassy areas.
If the pricing of this is as per that YT clip ($54) then it'd be worth getting hold of one and doing an independant side by side test

I would like to see how i works with a IR pass lens, and then some IR light in total darkness.

I know wayyyyy outside the box, but thats where i often find myself :p

Sounds promising that it apparently can be used as a dash cam but I wish it came in black rather than silver for the stealth aspect.
Also available in orange:D

These things generally come with a plastic film over the lens. maybe a quick spray with matte black before removing the film?

Do we have an example of night recording?

Is anyone actually using this camera as a dashcam?

I think all you will find is RC related, flying in low light.

Dont know of any one using it as dashcam, but maybe a reviewer on youtube have tested that part of it.

It just caught my interest and I found the owner's manual:

Warning: this product is not applicable for being used as a
Dashcam. Please take out the battery while using USB interface
for power supply, so as to avoid damage caused by the high
temperature inside the battery.

http://www.runcam.com/download/runcam2/RunCam2manual-EN.pdf

That's a pity because it seems to have a lot of nice features.

It just caught my interest and I found the owner's manual:

Warning: this product is not applicable for being used as a
Dashcam. Please take out the battery while using USB interface
for power supply, so as to avoid damage caused by the high
temperature inside the battery.

http://www.runcam.com/download/runcam2/RunCam2manual-EN.pdf

That's a pity because it seems to have a lot of nice features.

I've used Mobius with battery for years on end, many hours of continuos recording a day, and never had any problems with the battery at all, so why should there be any problems here?

I don't get it, again, anyone have any dashcam night recordings with this camera?

You happen to live in a relatively cool climate.

Batteries can be OK. Many of us have been using battery based dash cameras for years with few problems but it's been well established at this point that capacitors are superior to batteries in a dash cam to avoid issues and unexpected failures.

I've run three Mobius in heat up to 45 degrees C - always left in the car with no problems. One car out in the sun everyday with no battery problems. That was until I swapped in a higher capacity 820mAh battery- it swelled up within 6 months of fitting and that Mobius is in the car that is garaged.

So I think they're being smart by warning people their camera isn't suitable.

Back