RunCam 2

the smaller battery also swells up a little in the mobius, but since it is SMALLER, it has more room to swell I suppose, and in the RUNCAM 2 the battery seems to be a very snug fit, so if that swells up only a little, well you know what happens then.

However, I still do not understand as to why give this camera all the tools needed to work as a dashcam, but refuse categorically to provide a capacitor..... This is the exact reason why I didn't buy the RC2, but the JooVuu X......

I just don't get it, again (last chance... :D), anyone have any dashcam night recordings with this camera?

I actually converted my third Mobius to the super cap yesterday. The original battery hasn't swelled at all - it seems like a lottery as to what to expect. It would be 2-3 years old?

I actually converted my third Mobius to the super cap yesterday. The original battery hasn't swelled at all - it seems like a lottery as to what to expect. It would be 2-3 years old?

Yeah I have that experience too, although one battery did actually swell a little, but there's room in the housing, in the Runcam 2 it is very snug-fit, so a little swelling could already be a big problem I gues.....? Too bad, it's a nice camera.....

Yeah I have that experience too, although one battery did actually swell a little, but there's room in the housing, in the Runcam 2 it is very snug-fit, so a little swelling could already be a big problem I gues.....? Too bad, it's a nice camera.....

Although I'm thinking my trips take 30 min to 2 hours max, then standstill for 30min to 2 hrs, so that might be the reason for the batteries to not swell that much, maybe give the RTC2 a chance?!?

My experience with batteries tells me that it's not the heat generated inside by the electronic device nor the outside heat that causes problems, it's the heat the battery itself generates when it's fully charged but keeps receiving power. That's what makes them swell and that's why Runcam advises against using it with the battery inside when powered by an external power source. It can still be used as a dashcam, much like the SJCAMs, which can also work without the battery in them.

This battery vs. heat issue is so well know that I'm surprised why to this day no manufacturer has already created a similar system to what many laptops have, that cuts power to the battery when it's fully charged. Since the battery is only needed to save the last file or to operate the camera without the external power source, there's no point it being constantly receiving charge. Maybe the current chipsets and their firmwares don't support that function? You tell me, I don't know.
As an example, my 8 year old generic m!c laptop has been powered directly with the power adapter for 99% of it's life (I never once removed the battery during that time) and the 1% of the times I had to use it with battery power (just happened recently), the battery still lasts the same 5 hours as when it was brand new.

My experience with batteries tells me that it's not the heat generated inside by the electronic device nor the outside heat that causes problems, it's the heat the battery itself generates when it's fully charged but keeps receiving power. That's what makes them swell and that's why Runcam advises against using it with the battery inside when powered by an external power source. It can still be used as a dashcam, much like the SJCAMs, which can also work without the battery in them.

This battery vs. heat issue is so well know that I'm surprised why to this day no manufacturer has already created a similar system to what many laptops have, that cuts power to the battery when it's fully charged. Since the battery is only needed to save the last file or to operate the camera without the external power source, there's no point it being constantly receiving charge. Maybe the current chipsets and their firmwares don't support that function? You tell me, I don't know.
As an example, my 8 year old generic m!c laptop has been powered directly with the power adapter for 99% of it's life (I never once removed the battery during that time) and the 1% of the times I had to use it with battery power (just happened recently), the battery still lasts the same 5 hours as when it was brand new.

If I'm right, the Mobius does that too right? Stop charging when full and staying connected to power? (The green led at some point shuts).

If I'm right, the Mobius does that too right? Stop charging when full and staying connected to power? (The green led at some point shuts).
I don't know, I didn't have the Mobius long enough to "explore" that more in detail. It might just be indicating that the battery is charged, not that it stopped receiving power.

Sure, but you WILL loose last clip, correct?
No, otherwise they'd have to say it couldn't be used without the battery. I think they have an internal battery that also keeps the settings and the time when you take off the removable battery. I read it in one of @Pavle's reviews, the SJ4000 one, if I'm not mistaken.

No, otherwise they'd have to say it couldn't be used without the battery. I think they have an internal battery that also keeps the settings and the time when you take off the removable battery. I read it in one of @Pavle's reviews, the SJ4000 one, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, that would change things drastically for me...... I have seen footage from the RC2, and I think its great. I'll check with the manufacturer, I really need to be completely sure before taking the next step.......

Well, that would change things drastically for me...... I have seen footage from the RC2, and I think its great. I'll check with the manufacturer, I really need to be completely sure before taking the next step.......
Warning: this product is not applicable for being used as a
Dashcam. Please take out the battery while using USB interface
for power supply, so as to avoid damage caused by the high
temperature inside the battery.
Well, we can only read so much from a relatively dubious English translation: they say it's not suitable for dashcam use but if you use an external power supply you must remove the battery (I haven't watched the videos, so I don't know how easy it is to remove the battery). Why would someone use an external power supply except for dashcam recording? That's somewhat contradictory.

Well, we can only read so much from a relatively dubious English translation: they say it's not suitable for dashcam use but if you use an external power supply you must remove the battery (I haven't watched the videos, so I don't know how easy it is to remove the battery). Why would someone use an external power supply except for dashcam recording? That's somewhat contradictory.

that is what bugs me as well, please be clear when stating something like that, you really get me Module 79L......! LOL

I have asked the company and a youtuber that will try it out soon.

Will let you know, cheerio....

some RC guy told me its going to be lost, had that happening once, but he's not sure if it always is lost, or if there's some setting for it..... so I'll wait for a actual test to be sure ......

Let me share the conversation I had about this with Runcam.......

======================================================
ME:

I'd like to use the "Runcam 2"

- with external power supply (without battery)
- autostart mode
- loop mode

Now, when the power is cut, will the video clip be saved that is being recorded at powercut?
Please let me know, thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Runcam:

If you choose the loop recording, it will save the video according to the video length. It won't save the video completely until the end.

ME:

Does that mean that when we set the length to 3 minutes, and the video is at 1m02s then the clip is actually saved at 1:02?

Or is only the last 3 minute video saved?

Please let me know, important information.

Runcam:

It will save the video as long as possible.
But we are not sure that it will save the video until the last second.

ME:

it's important to know that now I can use it in the car as a dashcam without battery.

It's not a problem loosing a few seconds in the end of the last clip. I can always wait to shut off a few more seconds after parking the car.....!

As long as it autostarts and the loop recording is working OK.

I'm actually asking someone that has the camera to test it for me, I suggest Runcam could (should?) do the same, it's an easy and quick test and then you'd know for SURE.....

Runcam:

We've tested. But we still can't sure that the video will save the video completely.
You can buy one for a try. I can give you a $8 coupon code if you need.
And if it can't be used as a dash cam, you can also use it to record other things.
The resolution of the camera is very well.
======================================================

I mean, come on.....?!??!

32.gif

Chech the discussion I had about this on yt (watch it on yt)

So, firmware version V.2 says:
1. Added File Protection feature: Under loop recording, it can save the recorded file if the camera loses power/battery runs out.
6. Fixed the bug that the camera shuts down when USB unpowered under loop recording.

They said to you:
A- If you choose the loop recording, it will save the video according to the video length. It won't save the video completely until the end.
B- It will save the video as long as possible. But we are not sure that it will save the video until the last second.
C- We've tested. But we still can't sure that the video will save the video completely.

Either the firmware info points 1 and 6 are false or we have here a serious case of "lost in translation". I, for one, don't understand what they mean in A, B or C. :confused:

+1

There you go.... at least we can understand what JooVuu says.....

But it seems like the RC guys know more about the Runcam 2 than the actual manufacturer does.....

So sad....

50.gif

PS, Hawkeye Firefly Q6 might be a nice alternative....?!?

Back