Running an external monitor

timaldiss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Newbie here. I want to relay a live feed from the dashcam to an external monitor. Is this possible? Which models allow this? What terminology am I looking for? Ta

Welcome to the forum Tim.
Many dashcams have a AV out option ( this is only low resolution not 720 or 1080p ) some even have a mini or micro HDMI out, and these can be HD / FHD but i am not quite sure they allow for video to a screen while recording.
Having a screen with video going, even if it is video from the road in front of you, well it might be illegal if the driver can see the screen.

I personally see dashcams as a stealth technology so the less other people see of them the better, i can easy imagine in a situation the other part can go crazy if he know you have it all on video.
This could easy become violent if the other part are that kind of low life scum,,,,, and sadly there seem to be more and more of those, almost to a degree you could claim it is trending.

Thank you. Sorry state of affairs isn't it.

The requirement is for seats in the rear of a camper van to be able to see the road/view ahead. Hence HD being a nice to have here. Maybe I'll take a look at the action camera market...

Yes.
I know there was some guy here a while back that was a tourist bus driver in the US, he hooked up a camera so he could display the video out on the bus monitors, and it was quite popular.
One thing to keep a eye on with HDMI is if the video signal thru that can be live when the camera are recording ( as i understand it not always the case )
This are not the problem with the cameras using good old AV out, those can always be live when recording.
Of course if you go for a HDMI camera your system in the camper better support HDMI inputs too, but i think about now HDMI in mobile entertainment systems are sort of a norm

If you are camping it make good sense to use a action camera, cuz then you can use it for other stuff once you have arrived, some action cameras also have a dashcam mode so they will start record and stop with the car.
That would be nice to you dont have to remember to start it up and record manual.
Action cameras dont make for the best of dashcams, but it is very - very much better than no camera at all

There is the gitup F1 camera, i think it have HDMI out, and it come in a action camera version and a dashcam version, but it is a screen less camera so not good for in hand filming ( hard to aim )
It have its own sub forum in here too.

I'm new at this, but my first dashcam was a Kenwood DRV-601W. I liked it a lot, but, returned it quickly since it didn't seem to work with its parking mode, and I didn't want to mess around with it since I could return it.
Anyway, it had a mini HDMI output. Kenwood is/was stereo oriented, so they could probably also set you up with a compatible monitor.
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/dashboard_camera/drv-a601w/ (see specs)

Back