Running the DR900X-1CH on the power wire I used for the DR900S-1CH

willcasp

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is sort of a cross post with the 900s forum.
After one year of trouble free service, my DR900S no longer powers up.
I checked the power cable coming into the DR900S with a Fluke multimeter, power is as it should be.
The unit does not boot.
I checked out the SD card, reformatted it. Still does not boot.
For the price of this thing, I should get more than a year of service from it! Of course, it is out of warranty.

I am considering the 900X. I noticed that the 900X has a different direct power cable spec'd for it. However, the power requirements seem to be the same. I can't find if the polarity on the power plug is the same.

Has anyone run a 900X on their older 900S direct power wiring?

He also provide the definitive answer in the video, the 2 are not compatible on the power side of things.
Rear camera and connector are compatible, BUT ! You can not buy the camera as a 2 channel but without the rear camera, only 1 channel without the option for a rear camera.
And so you will have to buy the 2 channel kit and then have a rear camera + wire in surplus, which are silly for people like OP wanting to upgrade.
Mounts are interchangeable it seem, and CPL filter.

With only 1 year of service, i am not even sure i would stick with the brand, i expect at the very least 2 years of service, and also 2 years warranty.

I would definitely try for a warranty claim- the worst they can do is decline it. I've had and used numerous cams and often these have been cheaper ones, yet very few haven't went well past a year's service without issue. So given that this is touted as being 'best quality' I'd certainly expect more. And I'd also be wary of buying another from the same manufacturer if they didn't do something very substantial in the way of replacing the dead one or at least offering a heavy discount toward buying a new one. If my many cheap cams can go 2-3+ years without a hiccup theirs should do it too.

Mass production does mean that some products will be sold that are marginal or faulty, and this goes for every manufacturer and every product. These usually fail within warranty but not always. Not many reports of this cam failing this early so probably an anomaly but still a good company would want to protect their reputation by 'going the extra mile' for their customers I think ;)

Phil

Helpful enough or do you have some well thought out guidance for the OP? :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely not as I don't have the cameras/leads to be able to have some well thought out guidance.
The answer given still leaves doubt (should have) in OP's mind as to whether he could or couldn't use the lead. If you say the answer is in the video, who am I to question that, but I just couldn't be bothered to wade through all that for something that might or might not be there.
However, when someone asks for definitive advice, then an answer that starts with something like "I'm pretty sure" or "I think" is nowhere as helpful as a definite "Yes" or "No". Either of which (and that type of answer) can give the questioner confidence in the answer.

And we still have not had the answer to OP's question.

And we still have not had the answer to OP's question.
Really? So, you 1)"... I just couldn't be bothered to wade through all that for something that might or might not be there." 2) "Will need" is definitive. 3) The video clearly spells out the need for a new power supply.

Yet -- we still haven't answered the OPs question? Is this because you are being argumentative for the sake of arguing or do you really -- I mean really -- believe we haven't answered the question?? All because I started with "I'm pretty sure the two are different.".

I was pretty sure. The two are different. --to strengthen my assumption, I followed immediately with-- You will need to use the DR900X power wiring. I then followed up with a video supporting my assertion?

I'd say that's enough evidence to support my assumption that the OP will need new power wiring. What else hero? How much more do you want scrutinize my attempt to help the OP? Have you offered anything of value to this post? Do you know --absolutely know-- the answer? Want to give it a shot or are you just targeting me? GTFO. :ROFLMAO:

Back