running viofo a119 24/7

allowe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
glad to have found this forum!

First off, id like to apologize if there is a thread already about this. ive searched high and low and couldnt find anything to answer my question.

ive been doing alot of research about the viofo a119. and although ive heard that its got a terrible "parking mode" (which is basically a motion sensor), i was thinking of possibly running it straight to my car's battery so its running all the time.

does the spy tech hardwire kit run the dash cam straight to the battery? are they reliable? ive read that in cold weathers it does fail sometimes (powering on and off, etc).

i was thinking of running an external battery pack but ive heard stories of those exploding due to heat.

also, is anyone using a 128gb micro sd with their viofo a119 (its possible to use a 128gb)? how much recording time do you get before it loops?

ps. i did research about the thinkware f50 for its parking mode however, not alot of reviews are written about it.

i also dont want to pay anything more than $100 as in my opinion, that invites others to break into your car and steal your dashcam itself. (ive had a gps stolen from my car before but i did leave the door open accidentally).

ive been doing research on what i should get for months now and its driving me insane!

any opinion is greatly appreciated !

Add a few bucks to your budget and get the new VIOFO WR1

Add a few bucks to your budget and get the new VIOFO WR1
it doesnt have a screen and i dont see a difference other than picture quality for it but thats for your post!

is anyone running them 24/7 though flawlessly?

IIRC there is a member here using a version of the A119 (can't recall which) in the window of his home as a security cam. It had run fine for 2-3 months based on what I remember. There doesn't seem to be any unwanted shut-down issues with the A119 series save for those with PS or mount problems. It is hard on these cams to be used 24/7 but a number of us do that with Mobius and the SG9665gC and so far so good.

Phil

I wouldn't run it 24/7 it's too hard on the hardware, memory card, and car battery life. It can also exceed rated specs if parked in the sun.

Get a Vico-Power PLUS so you can use parking mode on demand only as needed with the flip of a switch.

It also has a timer (option) , high temperature, and low voltage cut off

Guess I should have included that you will void your warranty using any dashcam 24/7 :eek: That does not mean that it cannot be done successfully ;)

Phil

I wouldn't run it 24/7 it's too hard on the hardware, memory card, and car battery life. It can also exceed rated specs if parked in the sun.

Get a Vico-Power PLUS so you can use parking mode on demand only as needed with the flip of a switch.

It also has a timer (option) , high temperature, and low voltage cut off

i really like this idea. i mean it costs as much as a new a119 from ebay but kinda worth it.

anyone know of a cam that has a good parking mode that doesnt cost over 100 bucks :S

IIRC there is a member here using a version of the A119 (can't recall which) in the window of his home as a security cam. It had run fine for 2-3 months based on what I remember. There doesn't seem to be any unwanted shut-down issues with the A119 series save for those with PS or mount problems. It is hard on these cams to be used 24/7 but a number of us do that with Mobius and the SG9665gC and so far so good.

Phil
had run for 2-3 months? did it die after?

what micro sd cards work for 128gb for this dash cam?

Samsung EVO (U3) cards are the best bang for the buck when it comes to high performance reliable cards currently.

had run for 2-3 months? did it die after?

They are still using it this way AFAIK- this is the whole time they've had the cam. Here's the thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-as-home-security-camera-24-7.26838/

Being in direct sunlight or being exposed to high heat may kill any cam and should be avoided. However some quality-built cams can handle 24/7 operation even if they were not really designed to do this. The best cam for this purpose is likely the original Mobius but others can do it too.

So is it possible? Yes- positively.
Is it risky? Perhaps- your warranty will be void at the very least.
Is it recommended? Not really- especially by manufacturers and sellers.

You have to decide what matters to you and what you're willing to risk- nobody else can do that for you. I have a Mobius which is fine after 2+ years of 24/7 full-time recording.

Phil

ive been doing alot of research about the viofo a119. and although ive heard that its got a terrible "parking mode" (which is basically a motion sensor), i was thinking of possibly running it straight to my car's battery so its running all the time.

i was thinking of running an external battery pack but ive heard stories of those exploding due to heat.

also, is anyone using a 128gb micro sd with their viofo a119 (its possible to use a 128gb)? how much recording time do you get before it loops?

i run my A119 pretty much all day. i say "pretty much" because my battery discharge prevention device will shut down the camera at a certain low voltage threshold which is usually 8-10 hours after i park my car. this is usually in a shaded parking structure during my workweek but my parking at home is in the sun. I've yet to experience any malfunctions and i can honestly say that the A119 has been my most reliable dash cam to date.

i don't know much about the spytec hardwire kit but i use a multisafer BDP with adjustable time-outs and low voltage cutoff. it's been going strong for a few years now. i would never use a LiPo battery pack to power the camera unattended and for long periods of time...especially in the heat. I've learned to respect and fear the potential energy and danger of these batteries from my experiences in my RC hobby.

i cycle between a few different brands of 64GB and 128GB cards. none have given me any issues with the camera either. I'm employing the beta firmware's "parking mode" so that saves a lot of storage while I'm not in motion.

edit: and I'd also like to add that my A119 is a V.1 from the initial release so i have a bit more than a year of use of it at this point. luckily i do not have the GPS mount issue which causes the camera not to get sufficient power.

Last edited:
ive searched high and low and couldnt find anything to answer my question.
If you searched the forum high and low you probably noticed there is a dedicated sub-forum for the A119. You should've opened this thread there. ;)

Back