Sadly, My Git1 has died

Mr.JJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I own (2) git1's, have been happy all along.
One I use in my car as a dashcam - never a problem.
The other, with I would guess about 10-15 hours total recording, has died.
Never been in the underwater case, last used about a month ago for the fireworks show.

It had been working perfectly until last week.

Turned it on in the house. (battery power)
Start recording.
Went out and mounted it to my motorcycle for my morning commute.
Plug it into my motorcycle power adapter. (cigarette lighter/power outlet)
Put on my jacket, gloves, ear plugs and helmet.
Off I go.
After about 5 minutes, (10 minutes total recording time) I look down and the screen is slowly changing, brighter, then darker.
This happens continually, and I wonder if it is adjusting to the morning daybreak.
It's still recording (as I see the red light blinking)
Then, within another 2 minutes, it turns itself off completely.
I try (with my gloved hands) to turn it back on, but it refuses to do so.
When I arrive at work I remove it from the motorcycle and try and turn it on again multiple times.
Eventually, on about the 8th or so try, I hear it beep (as it normally does when powering on) and see only a series a vertical colored lines across the screen.
I push the shutter button to start recording, and it immediately turns off, never to power on again.

Dead as a door-nail.

It did record to the memory card, but I formatted the card soon after on my work laptop to see if that was the problem, so I never watched that mornings recording in detail.

I've tried different batteries, without a memory card installed, different memory cards, all which work fine in my other Git1.

Plugging it into my laptop does nothing, it does not power on or the computer recognize it as a removable drive.

So, I have 2 questions...

Do you think my power source fried my camera, even though my other camera works just fine plugged into the bike with the same adapter? (my thoughts)

I very much doubt it could be vibration as there is not much, and it was all highway riding.

Being as I'm a great fan of these Git1's,

And they are now impossible to find in stock at any price below US $100.00, (I paid $75 for the first and about $85 for the 2nd with the underwater case and wrist remote)

And I do mount them upside down most of the time,

Where can I get a replacement at or below said prices, or are they no longer in active production?

Thanks.

OK,
2 more questions...

Is there any other brand/models that, just like the GitUp series, fit the GoPro dimensions/button layout and are "almost" as good as the Git1?

Or do I wait for a new Gitup Model?

Thanks again.

Anyone want spare parts before it gets thrown out?

Do you think my power source fried my camera, even though my other camera works just fine plugged into the bike with the same adapter? (my thoughts)
If you can, check the voltage that the adaptor is providing when on the highway, maybe with a USB voltage/current meter...

Sounds like it has a hardware issue, but just in case, try leaving the battery out for an hour to reset it, then try again, if it doesn't work then you could try reinstalling the firmware, including the loader just in case it's memory got corrupted somehow.

If it has had that little use, is it still under warrantee?

Last time I looked, the price of the Git1 was so close to the price of a Git2 that I would go for the Git2, it's not quite so good in the dark or as a dashcam in low light, but the image stabilisation is very nice on a bike and it can give higher resolution at 30fps than the Git1. The Git2 is exactly the same size as the Git1, other brands apart from GoPro are all a bit bigger with a different button layout. If your not in a hurry then you could wait for the next Gitup but there is not much information yet about specifications or when it will be available.

One of my Git1 hade a flimmer as yours in the screen, it was voltage spikes who made them due bad wiring with tomtom gps unit but the camera still works fine.
Another camera flimmer the same way but with an constant beep until i shut it down manually.

Hows about your battery? The one u used in the camera when the problem occured? Still usuable?

Try as Nigel says and take the battery out for an Hour and make sure you test it with a battery you know works.

I have 14 pieces git1, and with that i have seen different errors and beeps occur. You mentioned that the camera made normal beep noise while you had it restarted once,

Try put some papper between the battery and hatch to secure it more in place and Try start it up again.

Try update it with firmware and make sure you do it correct to see what happens?

If the problem still occur then you probably have hardware failure.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm 99% sure the failure had something to do with being powered incorrectly and will throw away the power adapter before using it with any other electronics again.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think I just might purchase a Git2 as the stabilization/image quality/pricing are currently just about impossible to beat.

The only downside was not being able to mount upside down.

I have been very impressed with my Git1.

At the present time I really don't need another dashcam.
I already own a case, extra batteries and other accessories.

And I just love the battery life and the GoPro form-factor.

I have 2 Mini 805s and the other Git1 in daily use as dashcams and they are all still working perfectly and I could not be happier with them. (Thanks to you knowledgeable folks)

In all honesty, if the Mini 805s had the build quality/reliability and a removable battery that lasted at least 1/2 hour, I'd go out and buy another immediately as (in my side-by-side frame grabs) the image quality of the Mini 805 is equal, if not slightly superior to my Git1 in use as a dashcam.

Thanks again.

Will update soon with my new purchase, my birthday is next week!

I will also go for another quality

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VH84L5E

power adapter like I have permanently mounted in my cars too.

The next Git2 firmware will add an image rotate option :) May be a while yet before release though.
And if you use it at 30fps it has a longer battery life than the Git1.

Once again, thank you very, very much.

What the heck, the Git2 is $30.00 more than a replacement Git1.

I'm sold, happy birthday to me.

Will update upon arrival/initial impressions.

Sent you a message.

Pay the postage and it's yours.

You've been very helpful to everyone here and it's nothing but scrap to me.

The only downside was not being able to mount upside down.

I have been very impressed with my Git1.
The Git2 V1.6 firmware will support image rotation, the beta version will be out within one week.

Received my new Git2 a week ago.

Updated to the newest firmware. (arrived with ver. 1.1 I think)

Very happy so far.

I like the progress Gitup has given to its' customers.

Satisfied customers go a long way to a manufactures' future.

We always want the most for the least $$$$$$$$.

And so far, you have provided just that.

Mailed the broken Git1 to @Gibson99 this afternoon.

Hopefully he can get it to do something.

My pleasure.

I'm thinking I may try to hack something together without the external case on my quadcopter, to replace the cheap little fpv camera I have on it now, since the git cameras can do FPV real easy. Depends on just how dead it is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xmyladylostx Git1 11
T Git1 7
M Git1 8
M Git1 4
C Git1 10
Back