Safe to mount dash cam over tint?

ChibiSqueeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting my rear window tinted darker and planning to mount my rear dash cam about 5 days later. If I plan to remove the vhb double sided tape at some point, will it damage the tint?

The stuff hold pretty good, so it might ruin the tint, but i dont really know how good that stuff ( tint ) stick to the glass.
I dont think the VHB will ruin the tint itself, on glass its not that bad to get off, but there you can be a bit forcefull than i assume you can be with tint.

But better see what the guys with actual experience have to say about this matter.

There's a very high chance that it will ruin the tint.

What some of our customers have done instead is get a cheap screen protector or a similar film that uses static cling (e.g. oil change stickers), slap that onto the tint, then stick the camera to the screen protector/film. When you want to remove the camera, first peel off the screen protector/film, then remove the camera from the screen protector/film.

There's a very high chance that it will ruin the tint.

What some of our customers have done instead is get a cheap screen protector or a similar film that uses static cling (e.g. oil change stickers), slap that onto the tint, then stick the camera to the screen protector/film. When you want to remove the camera, first peel off the screen protector/film, then remove the camera from the screen protector/film.

I kinda like that idea. But will the static cling rip off with the weight of the dash cam?

That is a good question, I don't have the answer to that. I guess it depends on the size of the screen protector/film and the weight of your dashcam.
What I do know is that it's not a problem for our camera. ;)

Alternatively, if there's any sort of plastic along the roof at the rear, then you can consider sticking your dashcam there, provided that the angle isn't an issue of course. This is exactly what I've done with my personal car.

Back