Salt!

Sidescrreens in winter, hood has been in the garage since 2008! :D

They are really quick with it over here. The drivers get paid double overtime so they really want to!

Still managed to muster up the courage to thank them.

They are really quick with it over here. The drivers get paid double overtime so they really want to!

It is a necessary evil in light snow areas. I'd rather they use sand or, oh my gosh, actually train folks how to drive in winter.
In Michigan all driver training offered via the school systems occurs outside of winter.

I vote for sand and proper winter tires compulsory.

Here it is now a fixed part of getting a license to most things is training on a track where things like avoidance and driving under slippery conditions is a part of the curriculum.

I use to have my own "crash" course every winter, but the lack of snow lately mean i have not been able to do that, and also the wide open paved areas i use to practice on are now gone.

I could off course go and tear up one of the many soccer-fields here, but while i dont like the sport i am no longer such a person.

I vote for sand and proper winter tires compulsory.

You get a bit more winter than we do. I run summertires all year and on average ther's one day a year I don't go out because of the snow/ice/frozen rain.

You Dutch men are as hard as nails :eek:

Seem to be sort of the same salt spreader kit as up here, but i have never seen the salt that massive, but thats maybe due to me mostly sitting 1 M higher up in my cars.

They use sand and a brine solution down here since icing is our bigger problem ;) Our snow is very wet and packs into ice plus we get snow infrequently and usually in small amounts so winter tires would be a waste. I like snow as long as I'm watching someone else experience it and not doing that myself :p

Phil

They use sand and a brine solution down here since icing is our bigger problem ;) Our snow is very wet and packs into ice plus we get snow infrequently and usually in small amounts so winter tires would be a waste. I like snow as long as I'm watching someone else experience it and not doing that myself :p

Phil
here when winter mix is predicted, they spread sand/gravel on the bridges, and if we're lucky, some sort of chemical, can't remember the name, but it's not sodium-based) that sticks around a lot longer than the sand/gravel.

meanwhile, we go "visit" snow at my dad's place in Colorado. :D

last summer we planned to visit during the summer to show the kids that it's not always cold and snowy in CO, but our new house got done early so we had to cancel. maybe next year.

Might be calcium chloride as it doesn't hurt concrete like sodium does. It's also used as an admix when pouring concrete below freezing. IIRC it gives you a 6 degree F lowering of concrete's freezing point at maximum allowed percentages, but it also weakens the cured concrete somewhat and skin contact can cause chemical burns (learned from personal experience) :eek:

As a 6 wear old, I remember snow 4 feet deep in our backyard in Colorado Springs one winter then watching 3 tornado's simultaneously dancing in the distance that Spring :rolleyes: My sister once lived in a remote mountainous part of Colorado where the whole community would be snowed in for 4-8 weeks every winter. The nearest road which was plowed clear was 2.9 miles away on foot, then it was 12 more miles to the nearest store which didn't keep regular hours in winter. That store was also the nearest telephone ;) You could use up a whole day's sunlight on a failed trip to the store in winter. Those who had jobs they had to go to would rent a house nearer work during the worst months of winter, then return to their 'paradise' afterward. I was there a few days one Autumn and it was stunningly beautiful :D 3 days after I left there was 2 feet of snow on the ground; I was on a motorcycle and halfway home by then :cool:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dash riposki Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 14
Back