SamDisk Cards Suck

BobDiaz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure Isoprop is going to say, "I told you so..." (humor intended), but I just had to get it off my chest.

I had a SamDisk card fail after 2 years use in my dashcam, but I never expected that a second card would fail after 1 year's use in my smart phone. My video camera and still camera both have SamDisk cards, but they aren't used every day. I can only assume that with limited use, the cards might be OK, but with heavy use, failure is to be expected.

The funny thing is that every store in my area, Los Angeles, everyone stocks SamDisk and at times it's the only card they have in stock. Now if I search for something good like Kingston, I can't find it in any local store; weird... I had to mail order Kingston cards over the internet to replace the crap SamDisk cards.

I'm sure Isoprop is going to say, "I told you so..." (humor intended), but I just had to get it off my chest.

I had a SamDisk card fail after 2 years use in my dashcam, but I never expected that a second card would fail after 1 year's use in my smart phone. My video camera and still camera both have SamDisk cards, but they aren't used every day. I can only assume that with limited use, the cards might be OK, but with heavy use, failure is to be expected.

The funny thing is that every store in my area, Los Angeles, everyone stocks SamDisk and at times it's the only card they have in stock. Now if I search for something good like Kingston, I can't find it in any local store; weird... I had to mail order Kingston cards over the internet to replace the crap SamDisk cards.
Samdisk? Of course they are fake versions of Sandisk.

SaMDisk vs SaNDisk, - maybe just the typo. N and M are close on keyboard. I do similar mistakes some time due to having thick fingers or small keyboard on mobile phone.

I had a SamDisk card fail after 2 years use in my dashcam, (...)
Most cameras don't last that long and you're saying that a card that lasted 2 years in a dashcam "sucks"? I say it should be in the Guiness Book of Records! :D

OK, sorry it was a typo on my part. It's SanDisk, but my brain wants to say, "SamDisk".

It's like when a I hear a song in another language, I keep hearing some English words.

Hey Bob, what exactly has gone wrong with them- do they completely fail? I've been running them in my Mobius and found recently the .mov files are corrupted/ unplayable.

I was running a capacitor, old firmware and exfat formatting on a 64GB Sandisk Ultra. I've updated the firmware and used the Mobius formatting tool and it seems to be working okay with the same card. (I hadn't tried checking the footage for ages- they're a "set and forget" dashcam for me, but if it happens again I might have to reconsider what I'm using. :( )

Hey Bob, what exactly has gone wrong with them- do they completely fail? I've been running them in my Mobius and found recently the .mov files are corrupted/ unplayable.

I was running a capacitor, old firmware and exfat formatting on a 64GB Sandisk Ultra. I've updated the firmware and used the Mobius formatting tool and it seems to be working okay with the same card. (I hadn't tried checking the footage for ages- they're a "set and forget" dashcam for me, but if it happens again I might have to reconsider what I'm using. :( )
I've had 5 Sandisk cards self-destroy. One card became completely unreadable, the others became read-only meaning you couldn't format the card or write new files. All you could do was read the recorded files already on the card. Sandisk are well aware of the problem but they don't seem to care about fixing it. I have a suspicion the problem could be due to the card overheating, but that's only a suspicion and has not been proved.

Plenty of times the Mobius would just stop recording when using Sandisk cards, whereas it would record normally with Kingstons. Don't use exFAT if you have loop recording enabled. The recording will just stop sometimes.
I don't use any Sandisk cards except for the 128GB versions. Strangly, these have worked perfectly so far, but I don't really use them with loop recording enabled.

Thanks I'll have to see how it goes (updated firmware and reformatted card) and check the other two Mobius in my other car to see how they're going.

PS: I've been using them for a couple of years now and never been caught up in an accident. Recently I bought a new vehicle and an 82yo changed lanes into the side of me - I hadn't got around to installing the Mobius due to the difficulty with a large windscreen sensor etc.

:mad: Not happy as it was less than 2 weeks old.

I'll add I had similar issues with my PNY 64GB card. When formatted with exFAT and loop-recording is enabled, the camera stops recording randomly and goes into standby mode where the lights remain solid.

Since formatting to FAT32, the card just always seems to work to the point where I often forget it's there.

The failures were rather odd, the Mobius saw a problem and quit working with that card. I haven't looked into this, but guess that there's a block that went bad. At the time of the failure, I had the battery in the Mobius. After the failure, I upgraded to a Kingston Card and got around to putting in the capacitor. Today the Mobius runs great.

The card in my cell phone was rejected by the phone. When I copy the files, the computer reaches a bad block and quits. I can copy around the bad block, but there's a chunk that can't be read.

Okay, I've checked one of the other cameras that's been set in loop 1080p and highest quality with FAT32 formatting (and battery) - it's been working fine and hasn't been checked for ages. So I'm thinking the ex-FAT is it. It was running firmware 0.59 as well, but I've updated it.

I've never noticed any odd behaviour with the recording light Callumpy. That's the one thing I do check regularly as a confirmation they're recording. In fact (from memory) all the expected files were there, they just couldn't be played. I also tried a mov file repair utility and it didn't fix them. Anyway, it should all be fixed now. :)

PS: Bob, what model Sandisk cards were you using? I think mine are all Ultra's. I also use one in my Sony camera and it's been fine.

RE: PS: Bob, what model Sandisk cards were you using? I think mine are all Ultra's. I also use one in my Sony camera and it's been fine.

Mine were SanDisk Ultra.

I don't know then. I've bought all mine direct from Amazon, any chance you got fakes?

I don't know then. I've bought all mine direct from Amazon, any chance you got fakes?

Anything is possible, but I purchased them from major stores like Best-buy and Office Depot.

Back