Sample video extreme dynamic backlight

Leopold

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi! Just would like to get your impressions on a recent recording with the latest firmware (or close to the latest).

Got to say I was very satisfied with how the unit tried to maintain a good contrast and image quality on the road despite the extreme variations in the sky as you see in the clip.

Camera settings:
FW version: A119_180913_V4.01
Resolution: 2560x1440p 30fps
MP4
Exposure: + 0.0
WDR: On

Last edited:
Driving into the sun will always wash some of the colour out. You may get a better result with WDR off. The DashCam is working hard to deal with constant light changes.

Driving into the sun will always wash some of the colour out. You may get a better result with WDR off. The DashCam is working hard to deal with constant light changes.

I don't think he was complaining, the camera is handling that very well already

I was offering advise not criticising.

any further tests would be subjective anyway, the only way to know if it could be improved would be with two cameras side by side, different time and conditions will produce different results regardless

I have 2 A119 v2 and have tested them side by side have you?

Cleaning the lens might make the biggest difference, those white lines radiating from the sun appear to be caused by dirt on the lens rather than the windscreen.

I forgot to say that I always have a CPL filter attached, I think it works ok also when driving at night so I never take it off.

Most of the white lines coming from the sun are caused by dirt on the windscreen from the wipers in this case, I saw them too while I was driving into the sun. Very difficult light, almost "worst case scenario" except for the case when the road is wet in addition - polarized sunglasses is a must-have!

But maybe cleaning the lens and filter could improve the picture a little, thanks for the advice! Although they look clean the cam has been mounted for over a year now and probably have the same kind of residue/fog that you have to remove from time to time from the inside of the windscreen.

I test cameras side by side all the time
please share the details how you do it.
smile3.gif

please share the details how you do it.
smile3.gif

take two identical cameras, install them side by side

not exactly rocket science but it's the only way to have any idea if the changes being made are an improvement or not, you're not dealing with lab conditions, what you record is ever changing so it takes a lot of side by side analysis to decide if changes are working for you or not, it's a very tedious process actually

Borik
Her is a sample of how do it. The sample show the differences between having a CPL or not. The video an extreme example with lots on glare. The 2 dashcams were mount close together both were A119 v2 but using different firmware.
The clips follow each other and have been re-encoded to achieve this so do not judge the quality.

CPL Test

Sample was removed from "MyDrive at Google" to make space for newer samples at least 2months ago.

Back