Samples of A129 Pro duo 4K along side the A119 V3 2k in 4K

First run out with A129 Pro Duo 4K.
I’ve noticed that the image gets degraded when there is a lot of motion while driving in the narrow road. Is it the way it came out or is it the YouTube compression doing that. Also when you are driving around in the city comparing both of the cameras it is quite hard to tell the difference between the two of them. They look nice and clear when there is not much motion in the picture.

Edit: I take it back about the 4K camera immage being degraded. I just watched the footage on my good computer and it looks way better. Image quality is very good...

Last edited:
As well as the higher resolution, colors look better on the Pro. Beautiful footage.

It's the detail that does it.

Hi,
this is my first post in this forum!
That's my question. Until a few days ago I wanted to buy the A119 V3 model to replace A119S (v1, which unfortunately no longer works). Then I saw this new model coming out. The second camera is very useful. The fact is that it does not reach 60 fps which are indispensable for me. I have seen several videos and in many of these it is difficult to see the license plates by pausing them at any point. I wonder: does it make sense to buy a dashcam that has this limit?

Thank you

If viewed the files on YouTube you do not see the true quality when viewed on YouTube. YouTube is good for giving a taste of what it's like but does not beat the raw files.
4K files are large and would take quite a while to download on a standard Internet connection so YouTube is the best solution. Not all people have a fast PC and able to display 4K etc. whereas YouTube shows them at the best resolution for the viewer using lower resolutions.
There will always be situations where the number plate will not be readable regardless of frame rate. The lighting and angle of view are more important than the frame rate.
It is a limitation of video.

If viewed the files on YouTube you do not see the true quality when viewed on YouTube. YouTube is good for giving a taste of what it's like but does not beat the raw files.
4K files are large and would take quite a while to download on a standard Internet connection so YouTube is the best solution. Not all people have a fast PC and able to display 4K etc. whereas YouTube shows them at the best resolution for the viewer using lower resolutions.
There will always be situations where the number plate will not be readable regardless of frame rate. The lighting and angle of view are more important than the frame rate.
It is a limitation of video.

Thanks for your reply.
So you don't care so much that the A129 Pro Duo comes with only 30 fps, isn't it?

For 60fps 4K it will require much more processing power plus produce much more heat and a quite lot more storage for a just in case situation.

You can have 60fps at a lower resolutions if you really need it.

Can I have 60 fps (in 1080p mode, for sure) with the new A129 Pro Duo?
Yes, without the rear camera. EDIT: The Pro can support 60fps front and 30fps rear - see below

As others have said, I'm not sure that setting the A129 or any other camera to 60fps will achieve what you want.

Last edited:
As others have said, I'm not sure that setting the A129 or any other camera to 60fps will achieve what you want.

If I will probably buy the A129 Pro Duo, I'll do it because it also has the rear camera ... Goodbye at 60 fps. I am very doubtful.

Can I have 60 fps (in 1080p mode, for sure) with the new A129 Pro Duo?
Sorry - my previous reply was incorrect.

In the beta FW that I'm using, the available resolutions and frame rates are shown below. These may not all be available in the finished FW version.

Single Channel

4k30
1440p60
1440p30
1296p30
1080p120
1080p60
1080p30

y4m6Tzl5eHpy3AbQjTwVMZ6MGaaGq4JmgfiV3AzaNtW4xoTDt5HcTU9M51OJv1cM7quX72g9BEpcEoXvprZlkn_kjCr5kF39aTRBBHPJW1I5x2_b6IgNI-hvuVg9sXjUsGtV6pSqpfLcXI0hJvs0Y9TBQC7DP2SFXLOQVMhWATlT9LpXZJycK_GlXenaSgfI8lfd13ogjMKuTvxnOK1atXprA
y4m3u1r-UNu8KdYEOjROjEcIrJgz2Ed9uD3kC9woJnSNGyWWdq4Vw1909pGh8enr7hzTqfQE5UZCaOqlgOov2QX4Ig_S5x1bQI7yTWqun71Xp61jzx-wU5L-bLbWSk14S_srCGWg_9UEP3-TW1_HiLjutureFa_QEo2kctk-ZJDTgZIfUOO54Xdb_nOQlFnGu9dnEzB63BVYPuOlzHrT8Trow

Dual Channel
4K30 + 1080p30
1440p30 + 1080p30
1080p60 + 1080p30

y4m3cCwYKqrWuIIX0dJ7X4MtOhRh5-4eLdSoKpurtlzKYE4-qCwk_GF89L8jmpn7BG_xpwplFHAl_5_2MFSv7L1nckiC5EqdtgxjUDPUHBQLgVfndD4oMNJIF4IZ9jJzShjQNU98sW5fxTrN4HNgahvud6e5ihiV2rUBM67m9qr_ZqotclUJ9OKiwQFCvtVsaYIW3_04DNwRulD-Gq4MPV4BA

Last edited:
That could be a good solution!
The Pro can see sufficiently far at 4K resolution that 60fps is normally pointless, and you will do much better using 4K 30fps than using a lower resolution at 60fps. The camera can read a plate at twice the distance at 4K compared to 1080 and since close plates tend to suffer from motion blur 2x the distance gives far more than twice the number of readable frames, while 60fps only gives 2x the number of readable frames.

So unless you are driving at 300 Km/h or always turning sharp corners in tight spaces so that plates are never seen at distance then 4K is the best setting.

2K 60fps + 1080P 30fps is under testing.

Wonderful! Thanks!

The Pro can see sufficiently far at 4K resolution that 60fps is normally pointless, and you will do much better using 4K 30fps than using a lower resolution at 60fps. The camera can read a plate at twice the distance at 4K compared to 1080 and since close plates tend to suffer from motion blur 2x the distance gives far more than twice the number of readable frames, while 60fps only gives 2x the number of readable frames.

So unless you are driving at 300 Km/h or always turning sharp corners in tight spaces so that plates are never seen at distance then 4K is the best setting.

Ok, thanks, now I understand better. Unfortunately, YouTube does not help in this case as @Tractor said.

@viofo, I hope the A129 arrives early because I am without dashcam after 3 years!! :eek:

129 PRO 4К vs 119V3

1.jpg

2.jpg

12.jpg

Your Pro Still Frame looks to be ahead of the V3 still frame (reference the line in the pavement), a little bit of an unfair comparison. Great shots nonetheless.

Compare the distance in the original freeze frames, bump bars, a cyclist, and so on. Both registrars have different focal lengths, the 129 pro has a horizontal angle of 105 degrees, the V3 has 95 degrees in the horizon, so 129 pro seems to be farther, although both recorders are on the same lines relative to the road.
Time in still frames is synchronized.

Last edited:
Back