Samsung Evo/Evo Plus eater?

Prelude89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
I've had this model, both an older v1 model, and a later model do this to 4 cards now.

After some time, the cam just gets into a boot loop, sounding the startup chimes repeatedly, with a frozen image with no informational text etc. If I remove the card, it boots fine, gives all the normal on-screen info, and then tells me there's no card.

I have the card that failed last time. It works fine in my Viofo a129, but if I put it back into the SG9665GC I get the boot loop again.

I read in a recent thread Jokiin recommending Sandisk cards. I'm sure I remember someone saying these were not the best choice, but that was some years ago, so they may have fixed the issues.

Does the SG9665GC not like the Samsung cards for some reason?

Samsung EVO works fine with the GC. As per reports, the old red & grey Sandisk cards were problematic.

Samsung EVO works fine with the GC

They do ... then they don't. This has happened on multiple cards of different sizes, and in 2 different cameras.

Not sure why it happens, but putting in an older card that caused this issue, even after many cycles in my Viofo a129, the SG9665GC immediately goes into the looping issue.

I put a new 256gb Evo Select in it that I had formatted in my Viofo a129 Plus, and it accepted it just fine, and started recording.

This can take months to happen.

I'll get a Sandisk card anyway.

I am using a Samsung EVO 256GB in my SG9665GC V2, this week it stopped working with 723MB left on the card.
I deleted the files off the card, put it back in the camera and formatted it. We will see what happens this time around.

I am using a Samsung EVO 256GB in my SG9665GC V2, this week it stopped working with 723MB left on the card.

I remember having a similar issue with the first 64gb Samsung card. Not ideal.

Anyway, I have a Sandisk in it now. We'll see how that goes.

I remember having a similar issue with the first 64gb Samsung card. Not ideal.

Anyway, I have a Sandisk in it now. We'll see how that goes.
If you don't mind, would you keep me updated in here. (y)

Sure ... but this can take months to happen, so it might be a while.

Sure ... but this can take months to happen,

Well ... Didn't quite make months!

The new Sandisk unit failed today. Getting the first frame of live video, with no overlay text etc. and then just the boot sound on repeat.

Have 2 units. Both show version SG20191111.V4. They were bought some years apart. One has a serial number beginning with B153, and one with B192.

When I changed over cameras, I used the new cameras power cable. The only 2 things that haven't changed are the GPS module, and the cig socket to bare wires which is fuse-tapped into the fuse block.

These cards work again after formatting in the PC (Required re-format in camera), or just deleting files using the PC (no further action required by camera).

As before, card works perfectly fine in my a129 Plus Duo, deleting old files recorded with the SGC, and recording new files with the a129.

Where to now?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N SG9665GC 1
W SG9665GC 45
Back