Samsung SDXC 128GB DOES NOT WORK WITH F770

StevieRuss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here. Hi

Maybe I missed something with the recommendations for a 128GB compatible card for the F770 but be pre-warned that the card I bought from Amazon does NOT work with this Dash Cam. This is the link to what I bought so please feel free to critique

Herehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00WIMBSGS
I've since put it in my digital stills camera which it doesn't really need, but it's incapable of doing the job I bought it for.

Last edited:
What are the symptoms?

Specifications on Thinkware site indicate support for cards up to 64GB, could that be the problem?

Have you checked the card to insure it's good? (h2testw1.4 is good for this)

Did you format the card in camera before use?

What are the symptoms?

Specifications on Thinkware site indicate support for cards up to 64GB, could that be the problem?

Have you checked the card to insure it's good? (h2testw1.4 is good for this)

Did you format the card in camera before use?

I formatted it in cam. It seemed okay with it at first but it won't acknowledge it now and just repeats with "Insert Memory Card" and sometimes "Memory Card Error".

I know that the 64GB limit is there but from reading around the web (mainly on this site) the Lexar 633 128GB and the Samsung Evo + 128GB seem to be thumbed up here. Turns out the this may not always be the case so I thought I would post here to make sure people remain wary about what you can and cannot use in this Dash Cam.

I'll check out that app you linked to but i've tested in my digital camera and my computer and it works totally fine.

I formatted it in cam. It seemed okay with it at first but it won't acknowledge it now and just repeats with "Insert Memory Card" and sometimes "Memory Card Error".....
That could be an indication of a fake card - a possibility even when purchased from a legitimate source like Amazon. I'd try formatting again in camera and see if the behavior repeats itself.

A better way would be to run 'H2testw' which will exercise the full capacity of the card and report the results.

If the card proves to be legitimate the problem then lies with the cameras inability to support a 128GB card.

Here's a link about counterfeit Samsung cards. While it only mentions 64GB cards specifically that's not to say the 'bad guys' have limited their activities there exclusively.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/504/micro-SDXC-Memory-Cards.html

That could be an indication of a fake card - a possibility even when purchased from a legitimate source like Amazon. I'd try formatting again in camera and see if the behavior repeats itself.

A better way would be to run 'H2testw' which will exercise the full capacity of the card and report the results.

If the card proves to be legitimate the problem then lies with the cameras inability to support a 128GB card.

Here's a link about counterfeit Samsung cards. While it only mentions 64GB cards specifically that's not to say the 'bad guys' have limited their activities there exclusively.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/504/micro-SDXC-Memory-Cards.html

I did consider the counterfeit thing so I went with Amazon and what seemed to be a Prime delivery with Samsung as the apparent original supplier.

I bought a 64GB version of the same card a couple of days back and that is working fine.

After formatting the card in the F770 itself, it won't even get to the stage where it will allow me to format the card again. It just simply doesn't like having it inserted.

If I insert the 64GB card after listening to the F770 moan about it not having a memory card, the crumby welcome music plays immediately and everything is back to normal.

Somewhat disappointed

This is the problem with Non genuine cards they can change the internal working of the card but sell it as the same part number. That is the card i have in my own F770 which works fine but i have read on here that they have changed the card (probably about Feb time) and they no longer work.

This is the problem with Non genuine cards they can change the internal working of the card but sell it as the same part number. That is the card i have in my own F770 which works fine but i have read on here that they have changed the card (probably about Feb time) and they no longer work.

If Thinkware had a 128gb card and weren't being too silly with their pricing I'd have considered buying one off of them. That is the only reason I went third party.

StevieRuss,
my exact thinking and reasoning, I bought a LEXAR 633x and couldn't format it as cam just kept saying card error thing, tried my samsung evo but that didn't work either though samsung works in everything else, I too would buy a 128 and even better a 256 card if thinkware made them, I have just bought the 64gb thinkware card, works perfect as expected just expensive £40 all in.

StevieRuss,
my exact thinking and reasoning, I bought a LEXAR 633x and couldn't format it as cam just kept saying card error thing, tried my samsung evo but that didn't work either though samsung works in everything else, I too would buy a 128 and even better a 256 card if thinkware made them, I have just bought the 64gb thinkware card, works perfect as expected just expensive £40 all in.
@tabetha - if you prefix someone's user name with an '@' they will receive an alert and can respond accordingly. Like this: @StevieRuss

DT MI, thanks for that.
regards chris

Oh dear- I hope Samsung isn't cheapening their products along the way like some of their neighbors to their west seem to make a habit of doing :whistle:

A lost reputation is the hardest thing there is to recover, and you can never really get it all back :(

Phil

Just to add. I had previously bought and successfully installed the 64gb version of the same card from the same source (through Amazon). I just wanted a larger one to get more footage before overwrite.

I've since read there are issues with the newer cards but Amazon claim there is a newer card coming out that hasn't been released yet so I thought I was in a safe place.

Maybe the Lexar card is currently the way forward.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

It looks like the newer 128GB Lexar and Samsung Evo+ cards no longer work. They must have made changes to the controller.

I purchased an 128GB Evo+ in December and its been working fine.

The F770 officially only supports up to 64GB and there's no signs of them updating the firmware for better card support.

To top it off, there has been zero support from Thinkware engineers. Every issue or bug, users have had to either find a workaround or just deal with it.

As the 128gb cards work in some instances, it's a shame they could have come out with an overpriced version that is compatible. 64gb isn't enough for a 2 channel system for me. It's not the end of the world but in this day and age, and considering the high end nature of the dash cam, you'd think they would have done something.

I love my F770 but it's true lack of support/upgrades from thinkware especially considering the price is pretty disgusting imo, as I am on the verge of buying another 3-4 2 channel top end cams, I don't think my money will be going Thinkwares way, in support terms they need to seriously up their game.

I just bought the Samsung 64Gb evo Pro Select and it works fine.

I just bought the Samsung 64Gb evo Pro Select and it works fine.

I found the same Samsung evo 64 gb works, and also Sandisk extreme 64 gb works or I should say at the moment, there was some users that reported they stopped working after several months of use.

I found the Lexar High Performance 633x 64gb does not work..

I'm using one of these (SanDisk Extreme 128GB U3 / V30) and it's working fine and reporting as the full size (about 119GB total).

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11-50-39.JPG

I bought a 128gb card that works. However i sometimes get card error messages on startup.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P F770 5