Sandisk High Endurance 128GB not working in my F800PRO

Chatoyer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all

Picked up a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance card to try in my F800PRO. Doesn’t seem to work for me. Tried formatting on my Mac (and tried both exFat and regular FAT, just to be sure). Tried formatting in the camera as well. Each time, unit calls for the card to be formatted, which it proceeds to do (and says it has been successful), but it eventually repeats that a card format is required. So begins the loop of in camera format followed by “format needed” announcements.

It could be the card itself, but not sure. Wanted to post here just in case others are thinking about the same card. YMMV.

For reference, this is the card that was purchased: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07NY23WBG

Yep, that’s the seller. Are you thinking counterfeit?

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind.

Check it with the h2testw freeware doing a bull overwrite- that will show the true card size which is usually smaller than labelled on fakes.

Card needs to be formatted first before testing. Google "h2testw MAC" for instructions on how to work with the program, it's designed for Windows.

Phil

It could be a defective card or a "fake" card. As many said already, use h2testw to do a card test. It will take ~ 2.5 h (USB 2) or ~ 1 h (USB 3.0). It is worth the wait.

Card needs to be formatted first before testing. Google "h2testw MAC" for instructions on how to work with the program, it's designed for Windows.

Phil
there's a Mac equivalent, the developer decided to name it F3 which isn't a great choice when you're trying to Google it

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and thoughts.

Homebrew and compiling apps is something that is slightly beyond my understanding and experience, but it may be an opportunity to learn. I use LaTeX for some writing, so installing these kinds of things is not entirely outside my comfort zone. In the meantime, I used my wife's Dell to do a format of the card, just for kicks. Issue persists, however.

Perhaps lesson learned. Stick with Thinkware branded cards. Except the prices make my eyes water.

You can try sandisk Ultra A1 U10 cards purchased from a reputable dealer (www.blackboxmycar.ca, memory express, SHIPPED FROM AND SOLD by amazon.ca). Even then you still should test the cards.

Thinkware branded cards are super (and crazy) expensive. Last time I brought 2 of them from www.staples.ca. The way the package the cards makes it diffuclt to tell whether they have been previously used, reformatted, and returned. Of course this does not happen if you buy them from reputable dealers (www.blackboxmycar.ca) but it is hard to tell if you buy them from other places.

Ah, good call on Memory Express. They are local here and great folks. Thanks!

Hi, new here. I have a nextbase f800pro that is new to me, but second hand. It goes into endless 'format required' loop described by @Chatoyer when used with a sandisk extreme pro 128gb that came with it, but when i used h2testw it says the card only has 23gb - so the card is a fake im assuming!?

Other than the really overpriced 'thinkbase' cards, what is known to work well?

IMG_20210126_154303.jpg

IMG_20210126_154347.jpg

I usually buy memory (cards) SSDs or harddisks directly from manufacturers. The discounts from resellers are rare and not worth the risk IMHO.

effortless

1. From what you say (and show), it may be that the card you have is either:
a. Fake
b. Worn out with failing sectors.

2. Before purchasing a new card, it is worth reading about how fast technology is moving forward. See..

I am not recommending any particular make, but you should consider the latest A2 Up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30 standard, the SAME as you are showing. They might be overkill for your dashcam, but that is not a bad thing. I suggest you purchase from AMAZON UK. If they do not work, then return them under the distance selling regulations.

Last edited:
Yep, @effortless has a card which is either fake or dying.

Phil

I got my genuine Samsung card, in the UK, from Scan. They are official Samsung retailers.

For the latest dashcams with high resolutions you need a U3 card and until recently most high endurance cards were only U1 so too slow and resulted in problem reports here.

Unless you are running 4K dashcam (U1000), you can probably get away with a U1 card.

Unless you are running 4K dashcam (U1000), you can probably get away with a U1 card.
Most probably the case. But, given the small price differential, it is good to purchase the latest standard, the U3 A2.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AS400 F800 / F800 PRO 18
Back