Sandisk release new extreme cards

M Basta

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Industrial microSD seems most relevant to our interests, but they also released a couple new SD cards.

I know they have a mixed reputation, but I’ve had great experiences with my Ultra (3+ years in my Mobius) and my High Endurance (<1 year in my A119 and WR1). Both cards have worked flawlessly for me.

sandisk_industrial_automotive_1.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1188...nd-automotive-extreme-temps-upped-reliability

Last edited:
Now all we need is automotive grade dash cams :)

The Industrial microSD seems most relevant to our interests, but they also released a couple new SD cards.

I know they have a mixed reputation, but I’ve had great experiences with my Ultra (3+ years in my Mobius) and my High Endurance (<1 year in my A119 and WR1). Both cards have worked flawlessly for me.

sandisk_industrial_automotive_1.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1188...nd-automotive-extreme-temps-upped-reliability

By now, we all know that SandDisk Ultra memory cards should be avoided for use in dash cams because they have an alleged history of premature failure where they suddenly get locked into read-only mode. I've owned three of them I first purchased around the time I became interested in dash cams just over seven years ago. They were in hard service for several years without any problems while being used in a variety of dash cams. Eventually, one of them did fail on me but it had already been in use for four years or more so I didn't feel like it owed me anything. It may have died of old age rather than a read/write glitch. I came away not being able to tell.

Eventually, I took the other two out of service because I didn't want any unpleasant surprises if I really needed the footage but I would use them occasionally for non-mission critical projects. Then starting around 15 months ago when I began doing beta firmware testing on the Mobius 2 cameras I began using them again full time because a failure wouldn't be a disaster in a test cam and I don't like having expensive memory cards sitting around going to waste. (These cards were WAY more expensive 7 years ago when I bought them than they are now.)

Over the last 15 months these very old SanDisk Ultra cards got quite a lot of use, probably at least 2500 hours or more in all kinds of hot and cold temperature extremes and countless file overwrites. They've performed amazing well for seven year old cards that have a reputation for premature failure. Then about two weeks ago, one of them just died. Like dead as a door-nail type dead. I was unable to even mount it on a computer to even run some tests on it. The best I can tell is that it died of old age after thousands of hours of excellent service. The other Ultra card is still going! Like the first one that died, these cards owe me nothing after seven years of use.

I run four cameras regularly in my vehicle and a fifth for testing and I've never used anything but regular 'ole standard class 10 cards from Transcend, Samsung and Kingston and they've performed beautifully after thousands and thousands of hours of use in a challenging environment. While I think it is great to see memory card technology moving forward in performance and durability, I think that the idea that "standard" cards are problematic in dash cams is somewhat of a myth. Sure there are failures from time to time but after seven years now using "standard" cards in about two dozen different cameras I'm OK with them. I have to question the substantial extra expense of certain of these newer cards when you can just pop in a new standard card when you need one. (I always travel with spares.) I think to a certain degree, that the whole "endurance" phenomenon with memory cards and the rush to adopt them here on DCT involves a certain degree of marketing psychology, at least as much as any alleged durability gains in terms of the money spent. YMMV. One considerations is that it may depend on what camera you are using these new specialized cards in as I understand that the new dual channel cameras can put additional stress on memory cards since they are essentially performing double duty.

Anyway, I was struck by @M Basta's comment regarding his similar positive experience with a SanDisk Ultra card. Usually we only hear complaints about the ones that went bad, so it prompted me to post about my experience.

Last edited:
If you look at the endurance rating on the automotive version it says “unknown”.

It’s like buying a tire with no rated tread life.

When you consider whether a microSD card is a good deal is a MLC card with a theoretical read/write life at least twice as good as a typical TLC card a better deal factoring in the additional cost?

How does the SanDisk SDSDQQ-064G-G46A High Endurance hold up?
I believe these were developed especially for loop recording and in wide temp ranges.

The SanDisk white high endurance cards are good.

The Grey/Red SanDisk Ultra are the ones many recommend avoiding

Excuse my ignorance on such things but the spec on the Nextbase 512gw says it records on best resolution at 27Mbits per second but the card I referred to above says it only records at 20Mbits ps How would this work?

Excuse my ignorance on such things but the spec on the Nextbase 512gw says it records on best resolution at 27Mbits per second but the card I referred to above says it only records at 20Mbits ps How would this work?

you're confusing megabits and megabytes, camera is referenced in megabits, cards are referenced in megabytes

Bits and Bytes :D but 1080p at 27 mbits, that's still recording under 5 Megabytes/ second, so you have a overhead on your memory card of at least 15 MB/s write speed.

Hello,

I keep searching and searching in this forum regarding the microsd card for the dashcam and there are so many pros and cons.

Is this one good for the dashcam?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00V5Q1N1I
I have a Viofo A119 V2.

Thanks.

I had a red and grey Sandisk in my GoPro for around 6 years (used also as a daily dashcam for a couple of years), never failed and I still have it. I have to wonder if maybe Sandisk just had a period of producing lower endurance memory or maybe just a bad batch as so many people seem to have had positive experiences as well as the negative.

I agree with Dashmallow, any card will work in a Dashcam. All you're paying for with the high endurance cards is a longer life.

I had a red and grey Sandisk in my GoPro for around 6 years (used also as a daily dashcam for a couple of years), never failed and I still have it. I have to wonder if maybe Sandisk just had a period of producing lower endurance memory or maybe just a bad batch as so many people seem to have had positive experiences as well as the negative.

there are no quality issues with Sandisk cards, the issue for dashcam use is the controller they use which will flip the card to read only mode with certain types of errors, it's designed to protect your data but renders the card useless from that point on

other models of card employ error checking and will mark sections of the card not to be used if errors are encountered but the card will still work

technically the method SanDisk uses is good (probably better even) as their main aim is to ensure the integrity of your data which it does do, it can mean you need to replace a card sooner though

Back