Scenic Journeys - Ep#2 - Pikes Peak Hill Climb

Waiting to see the trip back down.

Watching this I kept thinking about how it would be to make that trip at night. :eek:

The Trip back down may be a few episodes out before I put that one together. I have a couple other slightly shorter ones I want to tackle first. But I do plan on making one of the trip down.

They close the road before sunset so no one is on the road at night. But trying that road at night would definitely rattle the nerves!

It did bring back memories. The top seemed like it was under construction. I recall an asphalt parking lot.

The ride down had a bunch of signs reading "Hot Brakes Fail".

Thanks for the video.

Skippy

I get it that's it is paved all the way up now, but when i see Pikes Peak i think of Finnish rally drivers and that cool onbord video of tearing up that hill.

Even if you stacked all Danish "mountains" and tall buildings, the end result i think will still be lower than pikes peak.

This minimalist stuff just dont do it for me when you have been out in the world a little and seen other stuff, same as i dont get that fab with Danish design.

Im wondering if there is a downhill MTB trail on pikes, that i might be able to do with my sad lounges.

IIRC, it wasn't paved to the top when I was last there, but after 50 years one can expect a few changes I guess :cool:

Phil

Much faster getting up there now, and more specialized cars can do it, but as a fan of rally then drifting sideways around those corners steering on power are so much more pure in my book.
From a racing perspective then not so pure as in most other forms of racing taking a corner like that will loose you time, and if not then the pitstop to change tires every 5 laps will :D

I was at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb three different times. I wrenched for a friend. This was before the road was paved.
There were two practice days with groups at the 8,000 foot elevation and 10,000 foot elevations.
We pulled a four tire change at the higher level between sprints.
It was 6:00 in the morning and rather cool. My friend and I changed the fronts and then had to shed a layer of clothing. Got the backs done and we were sweating and exhausted.
Mind that we didn't have power tools and while we worked quickly this was no F1 contest.
Driver left for the next sprint and I was amazed at what the altitude does. Took 5-10 minutes to get back to normal.

Most (all?) non-turbos ran alcohol for power and cooling. The turbos lost about half of their horsepower by the end of the run.
Some entries like Audi and Peugeot ran very large turbos. Our Dodge had a special chip to allow more fuel and boost. Had to be careful when driving to/from the Hill to avoid detonation.

Good memories.

If you look closely, you can see the oxygen tank in the back and tubing going into the back of the seat and into his helmet in the helmet in the video I posted. The tank is holding down Yuri's big sombrero that he takes with him everywhere.

Thought that might be a fire-bottle. Not sure I'd want oxygen in a race car where crashing is a certainty with "when" and "how bad" being the only applicable questions :cautious:

Then again I daily drive a van with pressurized spray cans of oil based paints and solvents, propane canisters, oil paints and stains, LiIon batteries, and sometimes even a gasoline generator in there, with me smoking too. And I've lost 2 cars to fires as well :eek: So maybe I shouldn't be mentioning car fire safety :ROFLMAO: :p ;)

Phil

you are pushing it M8 :D

Thought that might be a fire-bottle. Not sure I'd want oxygen in a race car where crashing is a certainty with "when" and "how bad" being the only applicable questions :cautious:

Then again I daily drive a van with pressurized spray cans of oil based paints and solvents, propane canisters, oil paints and stains, LiIon batteries, and sometimes even a gasoline generator in there, with me smoking too. And I've lost 2 cars to fires as well :eek: So maybe I shouldn't be mentioning car fire safety :ROFLMAO: :p ;)

Phil

Our driver (AKA-car owner) could only watch us change the tires as he was having his own oxygen deprivation moment.

For folks not acclimated to 14,000 feet there is NOT enough oxygen. Walking across the parking lot can seem like a full days work. Takes about 3-4 days for the body to get used to it.

When you enter the store at the top, there's oxygen for use.

Kinda humorous to watch first-timers attempt to stroll across the parking lot without needing to take a rest.

Skippy

When I was about 13 my uncle took me on a hike up the mountain to watch the hill climb race, we sat at some where around 12,500 - 13,000 feet. It was still dirt road back then, and watched a few drivers fall off the road. i remember hearing over the radio that the guy who won that year had a shut down failure when he reached the top and almost could not stop in time before falling off the edge.

Back