School bus drives down a stream

In Denmark swimming are actually on the chart for school kids, BUT ! not like that o_O

In Denmark swimming are actually on the chart for school kids, BUT ! not like that o_O
My elementary school, like many schools, didn't have a pool, so a school bus was CHARTered to go the local indoor pool. Nothing as exciting as this.

Same here, though the school with pool we went to was 3-4 miles from my school.
Swimming was real bad in the 70ties during the oil crysis, in the end only 1 pool was open in the entire municipality of Aarhus, and it was barely heated, so thats then i quit swimming.
School swimming was canceled way before that, but i also did swimming after school 1 evening every week,,,, which are strange cuz really i never been good at swimming.

Last edited:

Driver has been charged and I believe lost his job too.
good thing driver was fired. i wouldn't have tried that even in a monster truck. it's scary enough driving on a low water crossing when there's only 6" of water going over the bridget because there are no guardrails.

this is typical of the ones i've seen and driven on in texas:
1541014999253.png

at normal water level, the road surface is only 1-2 feet above the water. sometimes you'll see a flood gauge sign near the ends of the bridge, but more often it's just small reflectors on a stick. rule of thumb is if you can't see the curbs or the road surface, don't even try to cross.

If the water touches the underside of your car pressure will build up as a lifting force. When coupled with the sideways push you're probably gone adrift :( Lighter cars can be pushed sideways before that with just the water force on the tires. According to the NWS, most flood related drownings are vehicle-related. Ain't no road trip worth dying for.

Phil

The other day, a Toronto Transit Corporation supervisor vehicle went to the vicinity of a sinkhole to see if the buses needed to get diverted.

B88433292Z.1_20181031072524_000_GD0CLEHP.5-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

Looks like he got too close.

Link

I learned how to drive through high water when I was still a teen. I'm not afraid of it but just like weapons, I treat it with respect.

I kept my door open in this water so I could see exactly how deep it was. It got to the floor boards (could feel it lapping/bubbling thru the carpet) but still had a few inches to go before it would have touched the bottom of my door. And this was in my 2006 Toyota RAV4, which is a small SUV. But that's totally different - this is me driving through standing water. If it had been moving like in the bus video, I wouldn't have even tried.

Last edited:
Back