Screen goes blank after a few seconds.

Pete4658

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I'm new to this game. Bought a car with 312gw fitted. Gone through settings best I can but when I start my journey the screen goes blank after a few seconds. Is this normal or should the screen remain active whilst the ignition is on. If this query has been asked in the past then I must have missed it and I apologise.

Is it recording ?

If so then it will be a screensaver.

Help, I'm new to this game. Bought a car with 312gw fitted. Gone through settings best I can but when I start my journey the screen goes blank after a few seconds. Is this normal or should the screen remain active whilst the ignition is on. If this query has been asked in the past then I must have missed it and I apologise.
Thanks, I'll check

Thanks, I'll check

If the camera is still recording after the screen goes dark, as @Kremmen mentioned, that's completely normal. All dash cams do that. In most jurisdictions it is illegal to have an active video screen on at all times because it would be a distraction for the driver. Additionally, if the screen was on all the time it would make the camera run hotter and you don't want that.

Most dash cams have a setting in the menu under "screen saver" where you can set how many seconds you want the screen to stay active after the camera starts, such as 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds depending in the brand. One way or another you do want the screen to go dark after you start your car and drive off, assuming the camera is indeed recording.

Hello,

You'll be able to disable the screen saver by:
1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Stop it recording (by pressing the red circle)
3) Go into Settings (press the Menu Button twice)
4) Scroll down to ‘Screen Saver’
5) Disable the Screen Saver here

I'd also recommend formatting the SD card. You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings by pressing the MENU button twice
d) Scroll down and then click 'Format'
e) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera.
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows) or 'Erase' (Mac)
d) Do not click the 'Quick Format box'. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

It's crucial to format the SD card every two weeks to avoid any SD card failures.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Poor Millie wrote War and Peace and I'd answered it in 2 lines :D

well some times i wish i would just find a old post and do a copy paste, but i dont, so i think i have quite a few posts on here with much the same writing.

It is also okay, i have time, and it is good spelling and typing practice, even if i still only use the same 3 fingers to type with,,,,, funny enough 2 of them on my left hand, and the right hand is my good hand, but there i just use the middle finger, maybe a subconscious thing so i am ready within milliseconds to flip off the screen. :LOL:

Back