Screen options

Margate5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and dash cams in general. I like that the newer a139 offers interior monitoring as that is important to be with kids in the 2nd row seats. The a129 has a screen which in theory could be used for taking a peek behind without actually turning my head. But unfortunately it doesn’t offer interior use.

Having said all that my question is if I get the a139 and use my cell phone as a screen to stream in order to see the interior what significant impact if any will it have on the vide quality of the cameras? That’s the only solution I can think of in order to check all of my boxes. But if using my phone as a screen lowers the quality of the images etc., then it wouldn’t be worth it.

Thank you.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone

Welcome to the forum Mike.

You can have a live preview going on the phone no problem, from either camera alone or a 3 in 1 PIP, the image quality of the preview on the phone are nice for sure.
It is true some cameras have used a lower bitrate and so image quality if live preview is on while recording, but i have no idea if this include the A139

I will tag in @viofo for you to see if they have a answer to this, if not i have a A139 here on my table so i can run a test to see if there are changes wifi live preview or not.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

You can have a live preview going on the phone no problem, from either camera alone or a 3 in 1 PIP, the image quality of the preview on the phone are nice for sure.
It is true some cameras have used a lower bitrate and so image quality if live preview is on while recording, but i have no idea if this include the A139

I will tag in @viofo for you to see if they have a answer to this, if not i have a A139 here on my table so i can run a test to see if there are changes wifi live preview or not.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it.

NP here to help.

5 in the afternoon in Denmark and i have been up since 3AM after having been sleeping for 3-4 hours, so am a bit beside myself ATM.
I will keep a eye on your post and if viofo have not filled in the blank i will do a test for you on the table when i have slept a little, Viofo are on China time so some hours out from a RPLY from them.
Hope you are not too much in a hurry to pull the trigger :)

Viofo A129 does have an interior view option (A129 Duo IR) but then you won't be able to record out the back.

On the A129, using wifi reduces the recording bitrate.
On the A139 I don't think there is any difference, however you do need to turn the wifi on every time you want to connect the phone to it, so it is not the most convenient of systems, not sure you would bother with it very often.

On an 8" tablet, you do get quite a good live image.

Can't help thinking that an extra mirror would be a better solution!

Also I think the A139 is already very hot (CPU) from recording 3 channels. Add WiFi + constant streaming to it ...

TBH i also dont understand about seeing the rear seat that way, but if then a phone screen are usable, that can not be said about the micro LCD screen on most dashcams, you be much better turning or looking in the mirror.
I am going to get a illegal corona haircut soon, when i get home i will do the experiment on my A139 main unit ( i assume IF the camera drop in bitrate due to wifi being on it will do so on all cameras )

You guys are awesome. Thank you much! I would like the manufacturer to chime in if they see this thread.

I pulled the trigger anyway on the purchase as I need a dash cam regardless and this one checks every other box anyway besides what I mentioned :) but then again my solution may work.

BTW the A139 like many other cameras also have a AV out option, this you could maybe connect to your AV in if your car entertainment system have that, or a 7" LCD screen you can buy pretty cheap.
That route should not have a say over IQ and so you can keep the wifi off as the AV should go live the moment the camera turn on.
It is of course just a SD signal, but good enough to see what go on in the back seat.
Sadly i have no chance of testing this avenue as i dont have any screen with AV in, actually i dont even own a TV.

BUT ! i am testing wifi on recording now.

No size difference in the files recorded with wifi on and wifi off, so IQ should be the same either way.

No size difference in the files recorded with wifi on and wifi off, so IQ should be the same either way.

Awesome. Thank you much! Now I just need to decide if I’m going to try and hardwire install the entire system on my own or bring it to the professional shop. They want about $300 because they say it’s complicated doing front and back properly with an SUV and you have to be careful because of the sophisticated electrical system a new plug in hybrid contains. I have a 2021 Volvo XC90 Plug-in Hybrid.

You can always watch a few how to install videos on youtube, maybe that fill fire you up to give it a try, or scare you into the hands of a installer.

I drive a 2012 bottom of the barrel 5 door almost micro Suzuki car ( testement to the high prices of cars in Denmark ) so the smartest i have to deal with are curtain airbags, but with a car this small i can route down low with no problems.
I am hoping it will last 4-5 years more, and then i might buy a all electrical car as my last car ( my first car was a 1967 Volvo 121 one year younger than myself.

I directed @Margate5 to this forum. Would anyone with an A139 3 channel be willing to run a test to see if the bitrate is lowered when wifi is enabled? On the a129 Duo, it most definitely is reduced. I also had issues with heat (assuming) which caused the A129 to act erratic and freeze with long term wifi enabled while recording.

Would anyone be able to assist in answering his question by:

1. Making a clip without wifi enabled
2. Enable wifi and record
3. Compare the 2 streams and see if theres a difference in bitrate, and by how much
4. Enable wifi for a day and output to phone. See if camera will function reliably or overheat.

I directed @Margate5 to this forum. Would anyone with an A139 3 channel be willing to run a test to see if the bitrate is lowered when wifi is enabled? On the a129 Duo, it most definitely is reduced. I also had issues with heat (assuming) which caused the A129 to act erratic and freeze with long term wifi enabled while recording.

3. Compare the 2 streams and see if theres a difference in bitrate, and by how much
4. Enable wifi for a day and output to phone. See if camera will function reliably or overheat.

Hey there friend! Thank you for referring me to this great forum and hopefully someone with the dash cam can help out and run those tests.

True that, i would never do it on a day 2 day basis, but i do test with that and LCD always on ( if possible ) for a few days to really BBQ the camera.

The best option would be to use the AV out

Done that, and it is the same.
#4 should be enable wifi and go for a really long drive, but thats rare i do that, i can do it on my spare front unit on a wall charger, but then i dont have the load of the 2 other cameras.
A long drive for me is 40 minutes, and it really should be 2 hours at least, and on a summer day.

I did test with maximum bitrate though, i would never use a lesser IQ setting on any dashcam.

added heat from running wifi all the time isn't a good idea though

The A139 has an AV output jack. I presume a 3.5mm to RCA? Is there a means to output from his camera to cell phone using that jack (what cables are necessary) or would he need to setup a stand alone monitor? I imagine it wouldn't be a good idea to tap into his infotainment screen, seeing he would be using it for other purposes. Although I guess he could switch back and forth. Although this would require quite a bit of trim removal to reach the inputs jacks on his 2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge. - Never done that so can't offer guidance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N A139 5